Apple unveils new iPod touch with Retina Display, forward-facing camera

Comments

• Reply 81 of 110
    Here's an example of the kind of visual recognition/OCR app that probably won't function on the Ipod Touch if its camera lacks AF. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7VTo0656Rc
  • Reply 82 of 110
    This is a great upgrade, but not as great as I originally thought. Wired and others are reporting the camera is less than 1 megapixel and the HD is 1280x720. Less than 1mp is not going to replace anyones point and shoot cam as I originally thought. However, it's still a good device and having FaceTime is a major plus - good buy for anyone who isn't concerned with still photo quality.
  • Reply 83 of 110
    I bough a 32 GB ipod touch and i had to buy 3 dock adapters with it because it said it didnt come with the dock adapters. \
  • Reply 84 of 110
    I updated the spreadsheet of Hardware Capabilities by Apple iOS Device to include the new iPod Touch 4th gen. This is based on specs listed on the Apple website plus some articles.

From what I have read, the items missing on the iPod Touch 4th gen compared to the iPhone 4 are: second microphone (beneficial for noise cancellation), receiver (for phone calls), LED flash, cellular capabilities, SIM card, digital compass, GPS, proximity sensor, mute switch.

Please let me know if I have captured anything incorrectly.

Full article here

Spreadsheet here

Updated on Sept. 6 based on AppleInsider article claiming the new IPod Touch does include a vibration motor.
  • Reply 85 of 110
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by exscape View Post

Let me get this straight... It does 1280x720 at 30 fps but can't even take a photo at that resolution!??!

Good god Apple, make the frickin' thing 1 mm thicker so you can get an actual camera in there. They should be embarrassed to even claim it can take still photos at all if it can only do 960 x 720. So they had to yank the camera last year at the last minute because they couldn't get a respectable camera in the thin touch case. And their response this year was to put in a non-respectable camera instead of making the case a fraction thicker? It would literally be better for them to just disable stills all together than to advertise those pathetic specs.
  • Reply 86 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by acerbas View Post

is the deal breaker for me. Would like to get a couple so my wife and I can face time each other, but Trader Joe's doesn't have WiFi, so far as I know.

And 64 gig max is another deal breaker - not nearly enough for very much video storage. (I am a TED freak.)

Oh well, I can still get a 160 gig Classic for $223 from Amazon (and not have to pay shipping or the confiscatory 8% CA sales tax).

Hopefully they will increase the storage capacity to 128 GB, but with the thinner form factor this might not be possible. With all the new features and thinner form factor, Apple couldn't figure in128 GB iPod Touch and still keep the $399 price.
  • Reply 87 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Multimedia View Post

I know but what pixel count each and is the back camera backlit LED like on the phone?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by caribou123 View Post

960 x 720 is the pixel count. There is no mention of a LED flash because there is none. They only list features that is has, not ones that it doesn't.

No that is NOT the pixel count which is a completely different spec than what res pictures it can take. And the backside illuminated sensor on the backside camera has nothing to do with a light. Do you fail to understand the iPhone 4's Camera's Specs? The backside illuminated sensor on the 5 Mega Pixel iPhone 4's Camera is key to its superior effectiveness. And it has nothing to do with the LED Light that is beside the camera.

Looking for the pixel count of both the new iPod Touch cameras and wether or not the backside camera has backside illuminated sensor assist. That sentence has nothing to do with any light. There is no light. Duh.

My apologies for using the wrong terminology to describe the backside illuminated sensor. I had to go back to the WWDC presentation to find the correct words.
  • Reply 88 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

Hopefully they will increase the storage capacity to 128 GB, but with the thinner form factor this might not be possible. With all the new features and thinner form factor, Apple couldn't figure in128 GB iPod Touch and still keep the $399 price.

I would pay $499 for a 128GB version. Really upset it's not offered as well as the lack of doubling memory on the Shuffle and Nanos.
  • Reply 89 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

This is a great upgrade, but not as great as I originally thought. Wired and others are reporting the camera is less than 1 megapixel and the HD is 1280x720. Less than 1mp is not going to replace anyones point and shoot cam as I originally thought. However, it's still a good device and having FaceTime is a major plus - good buy for anyone who isn't concerned with still photo quality.

Yes A Friend told me he read .7 Megapixels on the front. But the rear camera's pixel count and if it has a backside illuminated sensor are still unknown.
  • Reply 90 of 110
    Correct me if I am mistaken, according to tech specs on Apple website, new Ipod toch has a 7 megapixel camera, better than Iphone 4
  • Reply 91 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by docid View Post

Correct me if I am mistaken, according to tech specs on Apple website, new Ipod toch has a 7 megapixel camera, better than Iphone 4

.7 not 7
  • Reply 92 of 110
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Now that is a nice device. I think Apple made a smart move by removing the older iPod touch model from the lineup. I hope they do the same for the iPhone. It made sense to have the iPhone 3G and 3GS before but I don't think it will serve good in the long run to have the 3GS now as a base model.

So where are all the naysayers who said Apple won't put FaceTime in the iPod touch because AT&T won't let them?
  • Reply 93 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Multimedia View Post

Yes A Friend told me he read .7 Megapixels on the front. But the rear camera's pixel count and if it has a backside illuminated sensor are still unknown.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by docid View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

.7 not 7

Right. Couldn't possibly be 7 because the body is so much thinner. I remember during the Spring discussions that the thickness of the iPhone would need to be increased to go from 3 Megapixels to more. Can anyone nail down how many pixels in the rear camera? Perhaps only 2 or is there room for 3 while still keeping it so slim?
  • Reply 94 of 110
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Perfect except for the entry model should have been 16GB not 8GB.
  • Reply 95 of 110
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    the apple guys just crippled the nano

so the classic which plays great video seems to have a new longer life

the classic will still live on !!!

• Reply 96 of 110
    I'm going to upgrade my Gen3 Touch at launch. It will be a fantastic upgrade, so I need to deal with the big disappointments:

: No 3G data plan. No GPS. No compass. No hands-free bluetooth (I think).

For me (and I think millions of others) voice phone calls are the least appealing attribute of the iPhone. A $20 throwaway prepaid does great voice and the battery lasts 3 days. VOIP on the Touch works pretty damn well.

But Touch struggles with all location based opportunities, which are getting more and more useful and popular. And Skype is awfully geeky when you have to untangle and attach the wired headset before you can answer.

I'm not sure the built-in microphone is going to work for VOIP either. It's on the back, to grab audio while video recording.

All I want is a non-contract iPhone with a $15 data plan for $400. Go ahead and bump the screen up to 5" if you like while you're at it.
  • Reply 97 of 110
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

So where are all the naysayers who said Apple won't put FaceTime in the iPod touch because AT&T won't let them?

Funny, I don't recall anyone making such claims.
  • Reply 98 of 110
    Why does it NOT have the same body as the iphone4? It would simplify manufacturing and efficiency. The new body is thinner but essentially the same tired design. Sub-megapixel pics and no flash. What good is HDR pics with inferior camera. What year is this? 1999?
  • Reply 99 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rezisluh View Post

putting the same shite chrome back on it kills it for me. i was ready to pull the trigger but the chrome back ruins it for me. give us glass, give us brush aluminum, hell i'd take a plastic backing over the damn chrome. call me petty but i'm waiting another year (or 2)

This might seem a bit unusual but if you can do a good job with a spray paint can then you can make your phone back any color you want it to be. There are companies that sell automotive paints in spray cans that exactly match your vehicle. I'm not talking about the paints you get at hardware stores. I'm talking about any color you've ever seen on any vehicle.

Buy any type of cheap paint at the local store and practice your spraying technique on other surfaces with curves. Once you know how to make the paint come out smooth and glossy you can then order your expensive paint and paint your phone.

Be creative and create the iPod Touch that you want and it will be the only one like it in the world.
  • Reply 100 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

This might seem a bit unusual but if you can do a good job with a spray paint can then you can make your phone back any color you want it to be. There are companies that sell automotive paints in spray cans that exactly match your vehicle. I'm not talking about the paints you get at hardware stores. I'm talking about any color you've ever seen on any vehicle.

Buy any type of cheap paint at the local store and practice your spraying technique on other surfaces with curves. Once you know how to make the paint come out smooth and glossy you can then order your expensive paint and paint your phone.

Be creative and create the iPod Touch that you want and it will be the only one like it in the world.

I'm sure Zagg will have a designer stick on solution for you to permanently cover and massively protect the steel back of the iPod. I just put mine immediately in a cover and never see the rear again. I'll probably go with a Speck PixelSkin with the Zagg Invisible Shield on the front face. You can win up to 50% off discount codes from Zagg by simply entering their weekly Win A Free iPad contest. They also sell great headphones and portable compact batteries for recharging your iPod Touch, iPhones and iPads.