iTunes 10 now available for download

Comments

• Reply 21 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trentonkyle23 View Post

I have iTunes 10. I used to have folders than contained all my various playlists. Now I just see the folders and the songs are inside, but not organized by playlist. Any idea how to fix this?

Sorry to hear that... I don't have this problem.
  • Reply 22 of 153

To the moron that designed the UI for iTunes 10. OS X is not Ubuntu. If every damn application is going to follow it's own UI layout including position of icons for Window minimize, maximize and close, then we don't need UI guidelines.

What was wrong with the old iTunes icon? What is everything on the navigation bar on the left side grey? Why the are the checkboxes now flat without 3D? ...
  • Reply 23 of 153
    Yeah, the preponderance of gray is particularly perplexing.

Weirdly, the Windows version has OS-conforming minimize, maximize, and close buttons. Why didn't they follow suit for the OSX version? \
  • Reply 24 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Object-X View Post

It's so....gray.

I noticed that too. Eh....it's......ok I guess. They also rearranged the close, minimize and expand buttons. Who thought of breaking the consistency of the Ul? Fire him.
  • Reply 25 of 153
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

I noticed that too. Eh....it's......ok I guess. They also rearranged the close, minimize and expand buttons. Who thought of breaking the consistency of the Ul? Fire him.

I like the simplistic look and the Close/Maximize/Optimize buttons on the side and small, but I don?t like the Dock icon. It just looks wrong compared to everything else, though I don?t care enough to change it. I do wonder if this is indicative of the UI changes we?ll see in 10.7.
  • Reply 26 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solema View Post

Yeah, the preponderance of gray is particularly perplexing.

Weirdly, the Windows version has OS-conforming minimize, maximize, and close buttons. Why didn't they follow suit for the OSX version? \

Yup.

Whomever designed the UI updates or the new icon should be canned.
  • Reply 27 of 153
    It was a pretty big deal to change the icon for iTunes. That icon is the brand behind a huge business inside of Apple. I can understand why Apple would want to get away from a CD-based logo since the iTunes Store is killing CDs anyway. The iTunes icon has changed before (mostly colors) but the basic design has been around for a long long time.

Other notes...

It does seem faster, especially in album cover views. It's much better for people like myself with very large libraries.

The lack of color in the interface is weird....can we get just a little color back?

I'm also not happy about the window button changes since they are a raging interface guideline violation. The only reason for it is that it matches the orientation for the minimize screen. But it's not enough to break guidelines for a proper window control. If I wanted a program with non-standard controls, I'd be using Windows.

Airplay control of remote devices like Airport Expresses is tweaked. You can now individually control the volume of remote players (very nice).

Still no ability to show songs on a remote server in anything but the list view with no album art (yeah I know, it would be slow as Christmas...)

Be sure to update your Genius since the old data gets purged.

Genius stations seem to be unchanged.

Still 32-bit on the Mac....so much for the 64-bit all Cocpa iTunes I was predicting for version 10.

TIger compatibility is history....Leopard or Snow Leopard only (G4, G5 and Intel).

iTunes 9 introduced the ability to sync all music to devices at 128 kb/sec sample rate. It would be nice if the bit rate was changeable. iTunes 10 did not change this. (Grrrr)
  • Reply 28 of 153
    I wish that there were some way to add the color back in.... this is so gray that it reminds me of Stalin's Russia. I also am not impressed by the movement of the close, maximize, minimize buttons, they clash with the rest of the macs UI.
  • Reply 29 of 153
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Excellent points and observations, Sevenfeet.
  • Reply 30 of 153
    Hasn't iTunes always be a bit out of phase with the global UI Feeling of OS X ?

I don't see why everyone is suprised.
  • Reply 31 of 153
    They removed the title bar
  • Reply 32 of 153
    It was absolutely a terrible idea to have iTunes be the only program with vertical buttons. not cool
  • Reply 33 of 153
    At macthemes someone wrote about a hidden preference for itunes 10 to restore the normal titlebar buttons.

Code:

defaults write com.apple.iTunes full-window -int -1

This reminds me of the time they where experimenting with tabs in the titlebar in safari and had a hidden preference to restore the old. Perhaps the same will happen with iTunes with the next revision restoring the old titlebar.
  • Reply 34 of 153
    Despite multiple attempts, I am not able to post a photo to my Ping profile.

Likely the servers are overwhelmed with new subscribers to the 'social music networking' service.
  • Reply 35 of 153
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    too grey on the left column, and the icon is hideously out of place in the dock :|
  • Reply 36 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smoke_tetsu View Post

This reminds me of the time they where experimenting with tabs in the titlebar in safari and had a hidden preference to restore the old. Perhaps the same will happen with iTunes with the next revision restoring the old titlebar.

If there could be an hidden option to reanable the tabs in the titlebar... I thinks it's way better than the usual way.
  • Reply 37 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by luinil View Post

Hasn't iTunes always be a bit out of phase with the global UI Feeling of OS X ?

I don't see why everyone is suprised.

I believe it's actually foretold the look of OS X and other Apple apps that have come after it. IIRC, iTunes has been the first app to get a new look, then other Apple apps follow.

I sure hope it isn't the case this time. What's with the absence of color since Leopard 10.5? Are we seeing what Apple has planned for OS X 10.7 with iTunes 10?
  • Reply 38 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Spork Heidelberg View Post

I believe it's actually foretold the look of OS X and other Apple apps that have come after it. IIRC, iTunes has been the first app to get a new look, then other Apple apps follow.

I sure hope it isn't the case this time. What's with the absence of color since Leopard 10.5? Are we seeing what Apple has planned for OS X 10.7 with iTunes 10?

I agree with you but not all itune's look points camed to OSX in general, for exemple the scroll bar have been different for a long time.
  • Reply 39 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by badtz View Post

too grey on the left column, and the icon is hideously out of place in the dock :|

I couldn't agree more. However, I believe it foretells what is to come.

The new icon looks like it would belong more on an iOS device than on a desktop. And yet I think that is the direction Apple wants to go and I can imagine Apple cooking up ways to unify or at least reconcile the two.

I wouldn't be surprised then if Apple moves towards new icons for all the iLife apps.

The standard desktop OS has basically remained the same for decades now, and yet I can't shake the feeling that some revolution is coming.

Oh and I agree... the new columns are so devoid of color that it actually looks a little sad. And I hate hate hate hate hate the way Apple is now using the light silver frames. In the past, I could easily tell which window or program was active by checking which window frame was grayed out (inactive) and which was dark (active). But the new color scheme actually masks this as ALL the window frames look light now (inactive) and the minimize/maximize buttons are no longer "lit" in color until you mouse over, making it even LESS obvious which application is open.

GRRRRRRrrrr.

Does Apple secretly expect us to move to using a single app at a time instead of the multitasking that we've grown accustomed to?
  • Reply 40 of 153
    I think it's kind of ironic how people constantly viewing this site and forum are commenting on how gray iTunes has become. AI should claim they were forward-thinking enough to design their website based on the future (now current) release of iTunes.

Personally, I think the color muting is cosmetic at best or worse. It's nothing really important to me. As for the vertical Close, Minimize, Expand buttons, I love it. I hope they implement that across all applications. Get rid of the title bar, in almost all cases, it's wasting my precious vertical screen real estate. If I've opened an application, I know what the app I'm looking at is, if not, I can see the name in the menu bar. Get rid of redundancy. Ping? I signed up, but I won't use it except to see when my fav artists that are using it announce a new album for sale. I can't be bothered to update my facebook or twitter 90% of the time as it is.

My only disappointment is the new iTunes icon. I disagree with some, because to me it does fit in with the randomly designed other dock icons. However, this is Apple's music, movie, tv, book, app store. They could have really emphasized the multimedia store as it has become. Did they decide Windows Vista was a great icon to emulate? I don't know. Maybe it just hasn't grown on me yet. I am glad they removed the CD icon that was cool in the 90's era, but the new icon is very uncreative. I guess it's safe, but now they have to live with this icon for awhile and it doesn't stand out to be taken notice of at all. At least I like blue.

Now just bring on iOS 4.1! I guess I'll continue to wait patiently for a better notification system in 5.0.