iTunes 10 now available for download

Comments

• Reply 41 of 153
    usbmuxd (USB Multiplex Daemon) is a part of iTunes (http://marcansoft.com/blog/iphonelinux/usbmuxd/) and is 64 bit now. At least it is at my 64 bit enabled system.
  • Reply 42 of 153
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Hmm.... all the icons are grey, but not classy grey, crappy grey.

And it's still a 32-bit app. In 2010.

And the volume thing looks ugly.

And that's about it! Shouldn't it have been 9.1 instead of 10?

p.s. Does anyone know how to remove Ping from the left bar?

Edit: the best I can say about this app is, it might imply Apple's devs are busy working on something else.
  • Reply 43 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sevenfeet View Post

iTunes 9 introduced the ability to sync all music to devices at 128 kb/sec sample rate. It would be nice if the bit rate was changeable. iTunes 10 did not change this. (Grrrr)

Agreed... including the Grrrrrrrr!!!
  • Reply 44 of 153
    As of this morning, iTunes 10 is showing up in Software Update. I'm downloading now.

Having read a few of the (negative) comments, my guess is that trying new UI ideas out with iTunes will provide some useful feedback for future System updates. Most of us hate change initially but then sometimes the changes do turn out to be good and have a lot of thought behind them.

I will try iTunes 10 with an open mind...
  • Reply 45 of 153
    wonderwonder Posts: 229member
    Is it really the end of the world to have some slight visual changes?

None of them bother me at all, and I am a BIG user of iTunes.

To me it looks fresh and appealing. It's also free! Quit the moaning...
  • Reply 46 of 153
    I find it interesting they're still supporting PPC and wonder how much longer that will last. If it weren't for the iTunes store they would've dumped support for it a couple years ago -- like they did with many other apps.

Not saying that with bias, since none of my primary machines are PPC anymore.
  • Reply 47 of 153
    What happened to the icons colors?! why are they all grey??? WTF?!

• Reply 48 of 153
    Everybody seems to hate

1) the grayness: I acutally like it. The world today is so colorful and full of noise I actually enjoy sitting in front of a software which doesn't flood my optical channels and lets me focus on the music.

@silverpraxis: good point with the AI users complaining about grey. lol

2) the max /min buttons: Did you notice that the move of the buttoms freed up space at the top of the window which was wasted. It's now gone meaning that the software takes fewer space to show more info which I applaud.

Everybody talking of UI-guidelines. You are absolutely correct, BUT with this logic there would only be stagnation. And who says 10.7 isn't gonna look like that? They are testing this with iTunes I guess. And the space-argument is what makes me like the change.

Of course they should have added a toogle-setting for color/grey-interface.

And for the logo: I think it's a good idea to get rid of the CD in general. I'd rather have a second harddrive (SSD for OS X pleasure) in my MacBook as well, instead of a CD-Rom drive. All this is to come sooner or later.

Just my two cents and to add someone to this thread who actually likes the changes. :P
  • Reply 49 of 153
    phizzphizz Posts: 142member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sideshowlol View Post

Most of us hate change initially but then sometimes the changes do turn out to be good and have a lot of thought behind them. I will try iTunes 10 with an open mind...

I've been trying it with an open mind for a while now.

GOOD:

- Definitely more speedy

- Ping is pretty cool. I hope it turns into something that can completely replace MySpace. I hate it when a band has a horrible MySpace page as their only web presence.

- I actually agree with the vertical traffic light - makes the window more compact. Yes, it's not standard, but it's still obvious to use isn't it?

BAD:

- Album artwork being limited in size in list views is a terrible idea. Gone are the beautiful large/resizable artworks from iTunes 9. And now that album/artist columns are gone from the list it's even worse. I have all this blank space that artwork used to fill. Now I have postage size artwork (and yes, I know about the small/medium/large setting - still too small). Also, if an album only has a few songs (like if you only bought a few from iTS), then it doesn't even show the artwork - terrible. Really miss this feature.

SOMEWHERE IN THE MIDDLE:

- Grey interface doesn't bother me, but it doesn't excite me either.

- New icon is fine on its own, but on the dock it just doesn't look like it fits in with the other OSX icons - maybe I'll get used to it.

Apart from that, it still plays my music no problem, which is really all that matters I guess!
  • Reply 50 of 153
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    I think I accidentally set my monitor to greyscale.

Edit: /sarcasm
  • Reply 51 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Windows 64 bit version available.

OS X version still 32 bit.

Wonderful. I know, I know, it's not that big of a deal but it's the principal of the thing don't you know.

The Windows 64bit version is actually a 32 bit version of the iTunes software, but with 64-bit hardware drivers for iDevices.

You could argue about why a music player needs to be 64 bit, as it would never need to address more than 3GB of ram (well it never should need to anyway..), but if Apple can sell us an update of Leopard with no new features, just "under the hood" improvements like 64-bit and GCD, then they can't be surprised when we moan that iLife, iWork and Final Cut Studio are still 32-bit whilst iCal and iChat are!

And in the case of iTunes, still not cocoa. I guess the cross-platform nature of iTunes is to blame for that.
  • Reply 52 of 153
    Mac windows have a big fat bar across the top, unlike the traditional thin bar with a title.

In that sense making the resize buttons vertical does make more sense, and in fact horizontal was probably a remnant of the old thin title bars.

I do wonder if this, and the new look to the app icon, are going to be a 10.7 thing?
  • Reply 53 of 153
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Mac windows have a big fat bar across the top, unlike the traditional thin bar with a title.

In that sense making the resize buttons vertical does make more sense, and in fact horizontal was probably a remnant of the old thin title bars.

I do wonder if this, and the new look to the app icon, are going to be a 10.7 thing?

I would think so; all that's on the top "row" of the title bar are the 3 colored buttons and the name of the app in most cases and since the name is at the top left by the apple logo anyway you might as well re-arrange the 3 buttons and get rid of that near empty horizontal row.

Also as to the grey, many seem to think that it makes you focus on the content and not the look of the app itself, which is always a good thing. so yeah, hopefully 10.7 will look like this.
  • Reply 54 of 153
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    For those complaining that album artwork isn't shown in the new album list view, switch to album list view then view > always show artwork. Voila.
  • Reply 55 of 153
    There's a how-to set-up, tweak and delete guide to Ping here:

http://technologme.com/using-ping-on-itunes-10/2607/
  • Reply 56 of 153
    Quote:

Nope, the title bar was consistent with ALL other Apple software, this breaks the UI consistency and is bad. They still haven't fixed the colour of the iTunes window either - the shade of grey doesn't match anything else on OSX, nor do the scrollbars. Time for some consistency. I don't hate the new look, but this looks less and less like Apple software with every revision. And it's hardly "big and fat"...

Quote:

I hope not. The icon is appalling.
  • Reply 57 of 153
    *Today's Diaper Change*

It takes longer to complain about the icon than it does to find and download a replacement.
  • Reply 58 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oxygenhose View Post

*Today's Diaper Change*

It takes longer to complain about the icon than it does to find and download a replacement.

They're even worse - how about a nice icon with a new ipod touch featured with a new quicktime style twist? Even a nice pro grey icon to match the new look would be good.
  • Reply 59 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

I would think so; all that's on the top "row" of the title bar are the 3 colored buttons and the name of the app in most cases and since the name is at the top left by the apple logo anyway you might as well re-arrange the 3 buttons and get rid of that near empty horizontal row.

Yes, which is all important stuff - the window control/traffic lights and application/document name - it's not a waste of space, it's common sense interface design. The application menu only shows the current application, it doesn't indicate all application windows open in front of you, only the current active window/application.

UI consistency should be adhered to, I've tweaked my itunes and put the top bar back as it should be, the whole thing looks much more balanced.

What is the obsession with "thin" and screen "real estate" - I don't get it. We all have bigger screens than five years ago with more real estate, we don't need to start removing necessary, common sense design elements.
  • Reply 60 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

Also as to the grey, many seem to think that it makes you focus on the content and not the look of the app itself, which is always a good thing. so yeah, hopefully 10.7 will look like this.

Some people are getting confused though, thinking the icons are disabled. That didn't occur to me at first, but looking at it, I can see where they're coming from. If they wanted to be monochromatic, perhaps black would have been a less confusing choice.