iTunes 10 now available for download

Comments

• Reply 61 of 153
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    I don't like Ping, it doesn't allow you to be anonymous. Your real name is what is shown. Dislike. Bad for children, adults and everything in between.
  • Reply 62 of 153
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau View Post

I don't like Ping, it doesn't allow you to be anonymous. Your real name is what is shown. Dislike. Bad for children, adults and everything in between.

ermmm - unless you change your account name under ping > profile > edit profile information!

Really not very difficult now, is it...

Also, by choosing to require approval for people to follow you, no one that you don't want gets to see your information.

Simple, easy to understand privacy. Facebook could learn a lot.
  • Reply 63 of 153
    Love the seeming "snappiness" of 10, but the icon is from HELL! I've always loved Apple's pathological attention to graphical detail when it came to the beauty and intricacy of their icons, but when I saw this new one I was like "Huh?!?!?! WTF! No. Seriously. WTF?!?!?!". It looks like clipart!
  • Reply 64 of 153
    stuffestuffe Posts: 394member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau View Post

You mean everything you say can be traced to you as a unique number, probably with accurate credit card details and hence address information, meaning that I won't be allowed to indulge in, or be annoyed by racist and homophobic morons posting comments of questionable legal content and generally childish troll-talk? Count me in.
  • Reply 65 of 153
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by isamdc View Post

love the seeming "snappiness" of 10, but the icon is from hell! i've always loved apple's pathological attention to graphical detail when it came to the beauty and intricacy of their icons, but when i saw this new one i was like "huh?!?!?! Wtf! No. Seriously. Wtf?!?!?!". It looks like clipart!

+1

• Reply 66 of 153
    I don't like that Ping user name is your real name - which you can change but it will then break your credit card details for itunes (change ping name = changes account name)

From what I read - but not tested yet - It will also relabel all your existing iTunes reviews with your real name. I don't want the developer taking retribution because I confirmed his fart app was just as bad as all the other fart apps.

I'm not sure why I don't like this it just doesn't feel right - I don't think there are other social sites forcing real name usage. I think I fear less of how my info might be used (do I want you to know that I am an 80s music fan - oops ; as to how someone with bad intent might use the information to build a profile of me and use it in ways that are unimaginable today. E.g. the student teacher that was denied her degree because she posted on face book about her hangover (I read that in the UK press so it's likely to be a made up story).
  • Reply 67 of 153
    Sorry, I really like the new GUI. Grey icons are so good, they don't miss colour at all and help to focus on content indeed. iTunes icon much more illustrative, modern approach and less 3D - like. What else? The flash lights will change with next OS.

Me: graphic designer.
  • Reply 68 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by titusm View Post

Sorry, I really like the new GUI. Grey icons are so good, they don't miss colour at all and help to focus on content indeed. iTunes icon much more illustrative, modern approach and less 3D - like. What else? The flash lights will change with next OS.

Me: graphic designer.

Actually the iTunes Icon - which I think is much better - is very similar to the iTunes Icon that is used in iOS - the CD hasn't been a feature of iTunes on iOS for a long time (if ever? - when did it change?)
  • Reply 69 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solema View Post

It sure is. I know Snow Leopard is the greatest thing since sliced bread (I love it on my MacBook), but not everything it does is a "feat."

Besides, 64-bit Windows (or OSX) would be practically useless if it didn't support 32-bit programs, since 99% of the programs out there for both OSes are still 32-bit.

Yes, the "feat" you might be thinking of is that you can boot into snow leopard in the 32 bit kernel and it can still run 64 bit apps.
  • Reply 70 of 153
    Not sure how I feel about the All Grey Interface, the placement of the Red/Orange/Green buttons, the layout of Album Art and Text in the farthest left field, or the new icon.

Apple has some serious work to do. Glad we have this Ping thing though.
  • Reply 71 of 153
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    I miss the old icon as 99.999% of my 33,000 tracks are from CDs I own.
  • Reply 72 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

ermmm - unless you change your account name under ping > profile > edit profile information!

Really not very difficult now, is it...

Also, by choosing to require approval for people to follow you, no one that you don't want gets to see your information.

Simple, easy to understand privacy. Facebook could learn a lot.

No need for such snark. I will have to investigate further before I install this on the little brats computer. I can just see my 10 year old looking and realizing her name isn't right and changing it back to her real name. The kid is very smart (gets this from the wife) but lacks common sense (again from the wife . A common problem parents face is kids not realizing the real dangers of stalkers and pedophiles (knowing something is not the same as truly comprehending the danger). Compounded by how quickly my kid has learned to navigate mac os and make changes that I do not necessarily catch right away.
  • Reply 73 of 153
    Granted, I may not be as much of an aesthete as some here, but I am a little puzzled by the angst over the look of the new iTunes. I always thought that iTunes was one of the more drab-looking of Apple's software, and they've simply made it more so.

The new set-up looks a little cleaner and simpler, actually. As to the icon, I agree that it is a bit jarring. Perhaps they should just get rid of the white ring around it; might make it a little easier on the eye (I did prefer the previous straight top of the musical note icon, though).

Do people know if the photo upload issue with Ping has been fixed? I could not upload, last night.

One other question: is it only one Ping account per iTunes account? In other words, what's the deal if I wanted to create a Ping profile for myself (the iTunes account is in my name), but my daughter also wanted to create her own (but she uses my account name and password for her downloads), and our musical tastes are totally different? Can Apple allow some sort of 'family allowance' for accounts? If not, I am guessing that Apple will seriously miss out on a huge potential social networking population: 14 - 18 year olds who are prolific buyers of music using their mom's/dad's accounts and are the prolific/dominant users of SN. (While I am probably interested in exploring the SN on the music front, I generally avoid things like FaceBook, LinkedIn, Twitter, etc).
  • Reply 74 of 153
    djintxdjintx Posts: 454member
    Quote:

Nope, the title bar was consistent with ALL other Apple software, this breaks the UI consistency and is bad. They still haven't fixed the colour of the iTunes window either - the shade of grey doesn't match anything else on OSX, nor do the scrollbars. Time for some consistency. I don't hate the new look, but this looks less and less like Apple software with every revision. And it's hardly "big and fat"...

I hope not. The icon is appalling.

I am ok with the new icon, but I'm just curious to know specifics on why you or anyone else here thinks it is appalling? I just want to review the situation from your point of view.
  • Reply 75 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Phizz View Post

I've been trying it with an open mind for a while now.

GOOD:

- Definitely more speedy

- Ping is pretty cool. I hope it turns into something that can completely replace MySpace. I hate it when a band has a horrible MySpace page as their only web presence.

- I actually agree with the vertical traffic light - makes the window more compact. Yes, it's not standard, but it's still obvious to use isn't it?

BAD:

- Album artwork being limited in size in list views is a terrible idea. Gone are the beautiful large/resizable artworks from iTunes 9. And now that album/artist columns are gone from the list it's even worse. I have all this blank space that artwork used to fill. Now I have postage size artwork (and yes, I know about the small/medium/large setting - still too small). Also, if an album only has a few songs (like if you only bought a few from iTS), then it doesn't even show the artwork - terrible. Really miss this feature.

SOMEWHERE IN THE MIDDLE:

- Grey interface doesn't bother me, but it doesn't excite me either.

- New icon is fine on its own, but on the dock it just doesn't look like it fits in with the other OSX icons - maybe I'll get used to it.

Apart from that, it still plays my music no problem, which is really all that matters I guess!

Click on the "Album list view" icon on the top right (there are four buttons. This one is the second from the left). After that, go to "View" and select "Always Show Artwork". You will have to check this for all of your playlists as well but that will solve the missing artwork dilemma. Hope that helps.
  • Reply 76 of 153
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

yea, I guess this is not an update therefore it doesn't work through the Apple Software Updater, it requires a manual download and install.

Nope. It does come through via the software updater. Just might need to be patient.
  • Reply 77 of 153
    djintxdjintx Posts: 454member
    Quote:

They're even worse - how about a nice icon with a new ipod touch featured with a new quicktime style twist? Even a nice pro grey icon to match the new look would be good.

I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with you there bob.

I can appreciate your thought process, and maybe this would have worked in 2002 when iTunes was just for music/iPods, but not anymore. iTunes is now the media hub of OS X, and I think the icon should reflect this, even if the name still just references music. Having an icon specific to an iPod touch in 2010 when iTunes does music, tv, movies, apps, etc. would be very strange to me.

I am always in favor of them coming up with new icons to give the dock a facelift, and I like the new icon for now. It will be fine until they come up with a whole new design aesthetic for 10.7.
  • Reply 78 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Object-X View Post

It's so....gray.

I know. I really am feeling the loss of colour. I understand you have to do something cosmetic to the GUI each upgrade to satisfy people. But, I think this trend of subtracting to "simplify" is not always good. Colour does not make it complicated or less elegant.

Colour good. Gray bad.
  • Reply 79 of 153
    I keep looking through the preferences hoping to find a "enable colour" button. But, I can't even stand looking at the gray preferences.

I feel like I just went colour blind.
  • Reply 80 of 153
    mariomario Posts: 348member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Windows 64 bit version available.

OS X version still 32 bit.

Wonderful. I know, I know, it's not that big of a deal but it's the principal of the thing don't you know.

I just run 64 bit installer on my 64 bit Windows installation at work and I ended up with 32 bit version of iTunes. So, either someone botched the installer at Apple or iTunes is not 64 bit for Windows either.