Wall Street views new Apple TV as small step, not living room revolution

Comments

• Reply 21 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prism View Post

If you mean common codecs as used by ilegally downloaded files in mkv format, then no.

Apple TV, and just about any other Apple product, is not meant for the power user imo.

And therefore Apple will never support formats and codecs used by those power users.

In a way this sucks, but if you use the Apple TV, and iTunes, in the way Apple advertises it to use you don't have a problem.

That strikes me as akin to going to the car dealer (instead of the local place) and paying $50 for an oil change. Some folks are content to just go see Mr. Goodwrench, for the convenience and peace of mind.

That's all fine. But that is nothing I want to be involved with.

I prefer quality and price over convenience. For example, I like to barbecue. A pork shoulder can take 16 hours to cook, and you have to be attentive to the fire at all times.

But it tastes better than getting Lloyd's barbecue crap at the supermarket.

Many other things are like buying/renting low-rez videos - because they are more convenient, people will pay more and get less. Me, I strive for great quality at great prices.
  • Reply 22 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

If there is audiophile-grad DAC that accept audio feed through HDMI (it's mostly USB presently) then this could be a perfect music player for audiophile. Think about it. Cool & quiet means almost non-existent jitter. Stream your lossless music from LAN, voila!

$99? What a steal!

Most high quality home theater setups include a good quality DAC. Most of them accept HDMI input.

People have been hooking up their iPods to good quality DACs for ages. The old ones used to hold a lot of data, so it was a practical storage medium.
  • Reply 23 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

It's a convenient box, but as long as Apple is married to 720p, their digital hub dream will remain a 'hobby.'

1080p is the standard and has been so for several years.

i don't think the majority really care. 720 is fine.

what is a bust is the limited functionality of the box. it just doesn't allow enough web functionality/access.
  • Reply 24 of 86
    I like the price. This way, when you find out all the things it can't do under iOS, it will hurt less.
  • Reply 25 of 86
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

Most high quality home theater setups include a good quality DAC. Most of them accept HDMI input.

People have been hooking up their iPods to good quality DACs for ages. The old ones used to hold a lot of data, so it was a practical storage medium.

Most audiophiles won't hook up their audio feed to home theater system. They prefer to hook it up to high grade standalone DAC connected to analogue power amp of their choices. There's a lot of reasons for that.
  • Reply 26 of 86
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

what is a bust is the limited functionality of the box. it just doesn't allow enough web functionality/access.

Yep. The iOS iTV with Siri apps specifically for iTV to search contents on the web would beat GoogleTV hands down.
  • Reply 27 of 86
    THis concerned that the APple TV does not support common video codecs beyond Apples favorites must keep in mind that this was the case with the other iOS devices too. No there are many video servers applications for your desktop that transcode to friendly formats on the fly. It won't be long before these pop up for the Apple TV too. Especially if the next SDK includes support for development on Apple TV. It's just a matter of time. Yeah, the first version will be closed, but that won't last. Plus most people are focusing on streaming from iOS devises and missing the desktop streaming from iTunes. If you can re-encode it yourself you can drop it into iTunes and it will work. An extra step, but still it works.
  • Reply 28 of 86
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    I think on the outside the new AppleTV fail to be a killer hot product. It would have needed an AppStore to achieve that status. Note that since that thing is power by the A4 chip, anything could happen on future updates.

BUT, the thing is I think it does have a “killer” app with AirPlay and with pricing. AppleTV fits very well in the iDevice echosystem and with a price so low at 99$ (A iDevice to TV cable sell for 50$), then may start selling millions of those things after all.
  • Reply 29 of 86
    Quote:

Does it handle common codecs? Or is it as limited as the iPad?

All Apple devices play codecs that commercial media comes in. This is the same practice that Microsoft and many Linux distributions adhere to. The "common" codecs and containers you refer to are .mkv, DivX, and Xvid, which about 99% of all pirated media and 0% of all legitimate media use. If you're really that upset that you can't play your most-likely-pirated content on Apple's devices, then just send it through an app like HandBrake or VisualHub and it'll play just fine.
  • Reply 30 of 86
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:

Handbrake + Identify = AppleTV best HTPC in the world. Your video are going to look exactly has you bough them on Itunes, complete with fanart and full description.

or if your are talking about home made video, the little thing support motion jpeg avi videos, which is on many cameras.
  • Reply 31 of 86
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Apple TV is running an A4 and likely a variant of iOS. The iPhone didn't ship with an app store, neither does Apple TV. That doesn't rule it out in the future though.

Right now I'm most interested in the capabilities of AirPlay. Hopefully it will be able to stream video from more than just the iPod app on the iPhone and iTunes on the computer. I'd love for third party apps to be permitted, but not expecting it.

I ordered one, it's cheap enough for me to play around with now and Netflix is coming to Canada soon.
  • Reply 32 of 86
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:

It handles common codecs as does the iPad and iPod. As the biggest selling devices of their type on the planet, everything they include is "common".
  • Reply 33 of 86
    Quote:

It's a convenient box, but as long as Apple is married to 720p, their digital hub dream will remain a 'hobby.'

I see, and would you care to list a single streaming provider who streams in 1080, or a single telecoms company that would provide high enough bandwidth to allow that?

PS. 1080 isn't a standard, it's one of an option of resolutions, all of which are referred to as HD, which includes 720.
  • Reply 34 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

I see, and would you care to list a single streaming provider who streams in 1080, or a single telecoms company that would provide high enough bandwidth to allow that?

PS. 1080 isn't a standard, it's one of an option of resolutions, all of which are referred to as HD, which includes 720.

But you don't understand -- anything less than 1080p isn't fully geek-compliant, and therefore is an instant fail!
  • Reply 35 of 86
    Unfortunately I don't see the Apple TV making it so far in the UK (possibly Europe as a whole). Mainly because we'll still end up behind the US on the TV shows, there's no point in this if all you can rent are shows that were on TV in the US a year ago, especially when you they're often available illegally at the same time. This isn't really Apple's fault, it's the studios and the TV companies, but it will mean there's little point in buying an Apple TV over here.
  • Reply 36 of 86
    Quote:

But not for downloads. There are no codecs for making a 1080p file at a size that is reasonable for all to download. Too many choked lines and caps.

In another couple of years when we can have a 'blu-ray' download at a 720p size, perhaps even in Extras format with all the special features and such, then it will be time to talk smack at the folks still serving up only 720
  • Reply 37 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by unscriptable View Post

What people seem to be missing is that the AppleTV is not -- and should not -- be a self-contained device. It's a way to add a big screen to any of your other iDevices without a cable. Why replace your existing iDevice? Just augment it.

This is the best way to increase sales, rather than cannibalize.

Watching movies over AirPlay is just the first step. HD gaming is the next step. Can't you see it? Tap a button to broadcast your game to a 42" big screen!

Why do you think they called it Air*Play* ?

Steve didn't announce it because no games can take advantage of it, yet. It's likely it's not quite ready, yet. There are lots of details around multi-player gaming, including screen hand-off, etc.

Good points.

I said a few weeks ago that I thought that AppleTV would morph into something like AirportExpress because it makes sense. Apple is a hardware company not a content company. iTunes and AppleTV only exist to enhance the attractiveness of the iOS devices, which is where Apple makes it's profits. The big news here is that you can store your music/movies/tv on your iOS device and stream it wirelessly through AppleTV onto your TV. If you have a large library stream it from your computer instead. I think in future they may add the ability to store/stream content from your TimeCapsule, making it a sort of home media content hub.

The point of AppleTV is that it enhances your other Apple products in a neat eco-system rather than providing a way of replacing your cable box.
  • Reply 38 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drdb View Post

Unfortunately I don't see the Apple TV making it so far in the UK (possibly Europe as a whole). Mainly because we'll still end up behind the US on the TV shows, there's no point in this if all you can rent are shows that were on TV in the US a year ago, especially when you they're often available illegally at the same time. This isn't really Apple's fault, it's the studios and the TV companies, but it will mean there's little point in buying an Apple TV over here.

Not to mention it costs 52% more than it should here and dosnt even have iPlayer
  • Reply 39 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

Not to mention it costs 52% more than it should here and dosnt even have iPlayer

Why does it?

Add sales tax and import duty to the US prices, then do a commercial rate conversion (not tourist rate you buy your dollars for down at the high street) and you'll see it's about right.
  • Reply 40 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drdb View Post

I thought you were going to say it was the fault of bootleggers. No such luck I guess.