iOS 4.2 for iPad coming in November, adds wireless printing and Air Play

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    Did anyone notice that when he said that iOS 4.2 would have everything that 4.1 will have, he also mentionned HDR photo? Does that mean that a camera is coming to the iPad?
  • Reply 22 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by foljs View Post

Because they have to.

iPhone/iPad are somewhat different and merging the two OSs takes some time. Even more so, since the iPad was super secret, and even most members of the iPhone team didn't have access to it during development.

Yes, they could have taken their time to do the merging of the two featuresets in advance, but then, they would have delayed the iPad launch.

Oh, and it's not really fragmented from an end user perspective: apps made for iPhone can run on both, and iPhone/iPad hybrid apps are also possible.

Still, 4.2 will probably be the converging release. Who said otherwise?

Interesting. You make a lot of sense.
  • Reply 23 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr_cazorp View Post

Yes, when you transfer files between multiple computers, it's klunky. Waiting for apps to sync is klunky. Being unable to transfer files to any instance of iTunes other than the one you sync that single iThing to is klunky.

Totally.

If you could just simply drag and drop a couple of files instead of doing a whole nine yards sync, it would be great.

But Apple is App-centric rather than Object-centric, so that is unlikely to ever happen. The software is the central focus, not the data. You open data with an app. You don't have an app open automatically when you choose the data.
  • Reply 24 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nitreug View Post

Did anyone notice that when he said that iOS 4.2 would have everything that 4.1 will have, he also mentionned HDR photo? Does that mean that a camera is coming to the iPad?

I caught that too. It is hard to tell.
  • Reply 25 of 34
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Overdue but very welcome! Woot!
  • Reply 26 of 34
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr_cazorp View Post

What I'd really like out of iOS for iPad is a better way to sync files. I just find iTunes so utterly klunky. Apps that have their own wi-fi interface are great but this should be a system service, not something you have to pray a developer will include.

This was the only real disappointment for me - no wifi sync \

I didn't really expect it, but those stupid rumors got my hopes up
  • Reply 27 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

I caught that too. It is hard to tell.

I saw (and tweeted) that. Steve wasn't having his best day, so you could either interpret it as Steve accidentally including random features of iOS 4.1 that aren't going to be available, or accidentally including it in the list because iPad is getting a camera. I would be slightly inclined to say the latter...
  • Reply 28 of 34
    No iOS in nano.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

Making releases monolithic increases risk of a blown schedule. My guess is that they had originally hoped that iOS 4.1 would go to the iPad but a few months ago realized it wasn't going to happen and branched it so they wouldn't risk the iPod release.

It's pretty clear the new Nano runs iOS, and I'd bet dollars to donuts the AppleTV runs iOS, but neither of them even have an app store (yet?). So Apple's just trying to minimize risk to the release schedule and product integrity.

• Reply 29 of 34
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SteveLV702 View Post

now my issue will there be a developer beta/build of 4.2 for iPad for the Registered Developers?

They will release a beta for developers. They didn't set a date but I am sure they have to. There is work to be done on the developers side to make sure that 4.2 features work on the iPad.
  • Reply 30 of 34
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tubbytee View Post

No iOS in nano.

What do you think it is then? Are you suggesting that Apple replicated most of the look and behavior of iOS in the Pixio OS? I think it's a lot more plausible that Apple is using parts of iOS to implement this, than make Pixio look like iOS and add touch screen functionality to Pixio.
  • Reply 31 of 34
    :'( running iOS 4.1 on my iPhone 4 and the Prox Sensor issue continues :'( thought was suppose to be fixed :'(
  • Reply 32 of 34
    Things just keep getting better with Apple.
  • Reply 33 of 34
    I can't wait to have my iPad be upgraded with this iOS 4.2. The hundred new features and enhancement would surely make iPad the coolest gadget in the whole world. The idea is simply awesome playing your most favorite movie in your iPad and having it streamed over Wifi to your friend's Apple Tv and shown right in his living room. We just have to wait til november for this to come to reality. http://bit.ly/cdkS2R
  • Reply 34 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

What do you think it is then? Are you suggesting that Apple replicated most of the look and behavior of iOS in the Pixio OS? I think it's a lot more plausible that Apple is using parts of iOS to implement this, than make Pixio look like iOS and add touch screen functionality to Pixio.

Apple did do something a bit similar though by replicating the old AppleTV interface on top of the new AppleTV's iOS core. It may be more of a stopgap measure though to allow them to ship the new units right away while figuring out how best to replace the interface with something a bit more familiar to iOS users. I can't imagine what that will look like, but the new AppleTV of today really seems more like the opening salvo in something much bigger.

And let's not forget that while iOS shares its roots with MacOS X, the very lowest levels of the OS had to be rewritten and compiled for the ARM core, which has a different fundamental architecture than Intel x86/x64. It stands to reason then that Apple can choose to rewrite/recompile for any number of architectures while duplicating the look/feel of a previous architecture.