Blu-ray vs. every other consumer technology (2010)

Comments

• Reply 201 of 421
    bitemymacbitemymac Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Always remember, that over 95% of the worlds population, does not, and can not subscribe to Netflix. Netflix is not the reason for disc sales decreases, spending habits are.

..... and what is your point? .......... I see that you're just stating the obvious, but stating nonesense to my prior post.

Eitherway, I think your statement is wrong in the US market. DVD rental/streaming/VOD/Cable business such as Netflix and the likes is negatively impacting on movie disc sales for sure.
  • Reply 202 of 421
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bitemymac View Post

..... and what is your point? .......... I see that you're just stating the obvious, but stating nonesense to my prior post.

I am stating the obvious, and this is nonsense? Can you clarify what you mean?

Quote:

Eitherway, I think your statement is wrong in the US market. DVD rental/streaming/VOD/Cable business such as Netflix and the likes is negatively impacting on movie disc sales for sure.

So, you believe that a US based service may have some effect on the products sold in the US? Did it take you long to come up with this theory? I have another one for you, my thoughts are that Netflix has a 0% effect on the sales in physical media external to the USA.
  • Reply 203 of 421
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    I think you can put the final nail in the coffin for Blu-Ray drives in Macs after that media event speech. Not only did they not mention any type of physical media format like Blu-Ray, they went so far as to remove the CD/DVD from the iTunes 10 logo. The new Apple TV highlights why we won't see Blu-Ray drives as well. With Airplay, Apple could have made streaming Blu-Ray movies from your Mac one of the key features of the AppleTV and also the iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch. That did not happen and I believe it will not happen moving forward.

In fact, if there wasn't such a reliance on reinstalling Mac OS X from a CD or DVD, it wouldn't surprise me if they phased out all optical drives. I'm sure this will be unsettling to consumers at first, but I remember how the lack of a floppy drive in the iMac was the 'death knell for Apple' back in 1998. I'm not saying it will happen this year, but it will start happening sooner than people think.
  • Reply 204 of 421
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fran441 View Post

In fact, if there wasn't such a reliance on reinstalling Mac OS X from a CD or DVD, it wouldn't surprise me if they phased out all optical drives. I'm sure this will be unsettling to consumers at first, but I remember how the lack of a floppy drive in the iMac was the 'death knell for Apple' back in 1998.

A highly unfair comparison considering the floppy disc was incredibly unreliable, stored very little, and was very slow. The ability to email a 2MB attachment made the floppy disc completely unnecessary, and the ability to burn a CD far eclipsed the floppy's functionality. By comparison, the ability to pay $5 for a one-time viewing of a comparatively low quality stream in no way makes blu-ray unnecessary or archaic.

Streaming does not offer superior quality, but rather far poorer quality. Streaming does not offer better reliability than an unscratchable physical copy. Streaming does not offer better selection, but actually far worse. Streaming is not more affordable, but actually more expensive at $5 per viewing. Streaming is still superior only in theory, and will remain so for a very, very long time.
  • Reply 205 of 421
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

A highly unfair comparison considering the floppy disc was incredibly unreliable, stored very little, and was very slow. The ability to email a 2MB attachment made the floppy disc completely unnecessary, and the ability to burn a CD far eclipsed the floppy's functionality. By comparison, the ability to pay $5 for a one-time viewing of a comparatively low quality stream in no way makes blu-ray unnecessary or archaic.

Streaming does not offer superior quality, but rather far poorer quality. Streaming does not offer better reliability than an unscratchable physical copy. Streaming does not offer better selection, but actually far worse. Streaming is not more affordable, but actually more expensive at $5 per viewing. Streaming is still superior only in theory, and will remain so for a very, very long time.

I think you'll be glad to hear that we actually agree for once. The analogy to floppies is false.

But with one minor quibble though. Streaming selection can be considered both inferior and superior depending on context.

Certainly, more movies are available on physical media. However, none of them are actually at my home right now. On any given night, I can choose between two unseen netflix disks, a bunch of old DVDs i've seen quite a few times... or a 100,000 streaming titles that I've never seen before.

There are advantages and disadvantages to both delivery methods.
  • Reply 206 of 421
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

I think you'll be glad to hear that we actually agree for once. The analogy to floppies is false.

But with one minor quibble though. Streaming selection can be considered both inferior and superior depending on context.

Certainly, more movies are available on physical media. However, none of them are actually at my home right now. On any given night, I can choose between two unseen netflix disks, a bunch of old DVDs i've seen quite a few times... or a 100,000 streaming titles that I've never seen before.

In short, convenience.

It does seem like a lot more people value convenience over quality.
  • Reply 207 of 421
    Quote:

Very true. But...

Last night I was going through the Netflix streaming options trying to find something I wanted to watch. After spending a half-hour going through about 36 pages of movies and tv shows, I only found two movies I had even a mild interest in watching and hadn't seen before. In the time it took to find two movies I was slightly interested in, I could have literally walked down to a Redbox and gotten a movie I'm actually excited to see, and on blu-ray no less.
  • Reply 208 of 421
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Your singular perspective does not dictate the direction of the entire market.

Quote:

Very true. But...

Last night I was going through the Netflix streaming options trying to find something I wanted to watch. After spending a half-hour going through about 36 pages of movies and tv shows, I only found two movies I had even a mild interest in watching and hadn't seen before. In the time it took to find two movies I was slightly interested in, I could have literally walked down to a Redbox and gotten a movie I'm actually excited to see, and on blu-ray no less.

• Reply 209 of 421
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Its clear that purchasing physical media is an old business model. The studios are afraid of profit erosion and want to set up what will replace physical media. But all in all physical media won't be so profitable anymore.

Quote:

I read it the other day when you posted it. The studios have always had a variety of different methods of selling their products, now they have more. They are trying to protect all their sales by having their products available anywhere, this isn't new.

• Reply 210 of 421
    Quote:

Very true. But...

No arguing with that scenario. Some people's preference and their available streaming services result in exactly that scenario.

I was just countering the extreme assertion that streaming is only better in theory. Because both your scenario/preference exist, as well as people who have the opposite experience, it seemed prudent to point out that both have advantages and disadvantages.

As a balancing anecdote, consider this. Despite living in Pittsburgh, a rather large city, I've never even seen a redbox and the nearest rental store is a 10 minute drive away. In rush hour, its more like a 30 minute drive. Nearly all the blockbusters closed 5 years ago and only a few independent shops remain. I think there are redbox around but I haven't seen one in the neighborhoods I drive through. This certainly isn't the case for everyone. But it does point out that streaming is already superior for some people.

[edit]Googling revealed that there was indeed a rental store I didn't know about. The above times have been revised accordingly.
  • Reply 211 of 421
    Quote:

Very true. But...

This is pretty much my experience too. I was going to watch Charade via Netflix streaming the other night but the quality was so poor I quit after several minutes. It was like trying to watch a VHS movie. Of the several Netflix streaming movies that I've been been able to find that I've even wanted to wanted to watch, one approached up converted DVD, most looked like a regular non up converted DVD, plus the aforementioned Charade. None approached the quality of even a very average BD movie.

The Redbox kiosk in the local Fred Meyer that's about 3/4 of a mile from where I live carries a limited number of BDs so dfiler, Redbox kiosks are out there, all you have to do is look. But then again Pittsburgh ... .

Basically there is no right answer, so everybody has to go with what works for them.
  • Reply 212 of 421
    bitemymacbitemymac Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OldCodger73 View Post

This is pretty much my experience too. I was going to watch Charade via Netflix streaming the other night but the quality was so poor I quit after several minutes. It was like trying to watch a VHS movie. Of the several Netflix streaming movies that I've been been able to find that I've even wanted to wanted to watch, one approached up converted DVD, most looked like a regular non up converted DVD, plus the aforementioned Charade. None approached the quality of even a very average BD movie.

Basically there is no right answer, so everybody has to go with what works for them.

I'm not surprised at variable experiences when streaming. Most streaming capable blu-ray players are equipped with poor quality video processors. Only the the higher end models would upscale well to higher resolution. Couple generations old Samsung BD-2550 equipped with reon video processor is still the king when it comes to upcoverting streaming material. Most newer consumer end streaming capable bd-players use much cheaper parts.

The streaming quality also depends on the network traffic and capability. Most people streaming via wireless connection also seem to get hit on PQ.

The iTune generation kids can bare streaming video from Hulu and other services and they are likely to not complain about Netflix streaming on PQ. Obviously, you're not one of them and I myself would not be happy unless it's streaming in HD like quality. I'm still waiting for the right standalone BD player. The upcoming Denon 2011 may fit the need, when they release it.
  • Reply 213 of 421
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OldCodger73 View Post

The Redbox kiosk in the local Fred Meyer that's about 3/4 of a mile from where I live carries a limited number of BDs so dfiler, Redbox kiosks are out there, all you have to do is look. But then again Pittsburgh ... .

Seriously, did you really miss the part of my post that said my "this isn't true for everybody"? And yet you have the gaul to tell me that "all you have to do is look [for red box]"? As if I'm just an idiot or perhaps lying? Then you further the insult by suggesting that there is something wrong with my city. Great, real mature.

Because you've only tried "several" netflix streams, perhaps you might want to look again before deciding that "none approach the quality of even an average BD". They're certainly lower bit rate, but much of the population would find some of the HD streams indistinguishable from bluray. I'm sure that last sentence blew your mind, but it is true. Try browsing the HD section of netflix. I'd be interested in hearing your opinion after you've watched some HD streams. 7 megabit can look pretty good with a modern codec, definitely much better than just upconverted DVD.
  • Reply 214 of 421
    Quote:

I'm not surprised at variable experiences when streaming. Most streaming capable blu-ray players are equipped with poor quality video processors. Only the the higher end models would upscale well to higher resolution. Couple generations old Samsung BD-2550 equipped with reon video processor is still the king when it comes to upcoverting streaming material. Most newer consumer end streaming capable bd-players use much cheaper parts.

The streaming quality also depends on the network traffic and capability. Most people streaming via wireless connection also seem to get hit on PQ.

The iTune generation kids can bare streaming video from Hulu and other services and they are likely to not complain about Netflix streaming on PQ. Obviously, you're not one of them and I myself would not be happy unless it's streaming in HD like quality. I'm still waiting for the right standalone BD player. The upcoming Denon 2011 may fit the need, when they release it.

Have you tried a ps3 on wired gigabit? The HD steaming is phenomenal. Guests at my place have mistaken it for bluray. Granted, since you're considering a yet to be released denon player, you're probably more discriminating than them.
  • Reply 215 of 421
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Its clear that purchasing physical media is an old business model. The studios are afraid of profit erosion and want to set up what will replace physical media. But all in all physical media won't be so profitable anymore.

No one has ever argued this point, one day digital downloads will be the future. The thing is, it is not happening now, it will not happen tomorrow, it will be a long time in the future.
  • Reply 216 of 421
    Quote:

Have you tried a ps3 on wired gigabit? The HD steaming is phenomenal. Guests at my place have mistaken it for bluray. Granted, since you're considering a yet to be released denon player, you're probably more discriminating than them.

I have a HTPC with fanless ATI 5750 doing a decent job now for blu-ray and streaming. The thought of getting a PS3 did cross my mind, but I need more interconnect options. I now need 3D capability for kids movies, good video scaling, video streaming, and good analog multi-channel audio out to play well with my aging AVR driving aging vintage speakers for critical music listening. If I were to be happy with the lower av standards, then I would be happy with dvd's and VHS. I discrimiate because I need more. I am sure everyone's needs are different.
  • Reply 217 of 421
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    Quote:

No one has ever argued this point, one day digital downloads will be the future. The thing is, it is not happening now, it will not happen tomorrow, it will be a long time in the future.

But something, somewhere, is happening.
  • Reply 218 of 421
    Quote:

I have a HTPC with fanless ATI 5750 doing a decent job now for blu-ray and streaming. The thought of getting a PS3 did cross my mind, but I need more interconnect options. I now need 3D capability for kids movies, good video scaling, video streaming, and good analog multi-channel audio out to play well with my aging AVR driving aging vintage speakers for critical music listening. If I were to be happy with the lower av standards, then I would be happy with dvd's and VHS. I discrimiate because I need more. I am sure everyone's needs are different.

Some more different than others.

Wow. That's one he'll of a setup. I'm squeaking by a front projector, crown amps and a sub the size of a water heater.

In other words, neither of us is very typical of media consumers. Not to discount our opinions, but it is good to keep them in perspective. For instance, "need[ing] 3d for kids movies". Just like I need 120 pounds of subwoofer.
  • Reply 219 of 421
    Quote:

Some more different than others.

Wow. That's one he'll of a setup. I'm squeaking by a front projector, crown amps and a sub the size of a water heater.

In other words, neither of us is very typical of media consumers. Not to discount our opinions, but it is good to keep them in perspective. For instance, "need[ing] 3d for kids movies". Just like I need 120 pounds of subwoofer.

haha.... My subs don't weigh 120lbs but I have two infinity SSW- 212 from 1990's that weighs 72lbs each. One can never have enough bass unless it is out of tune.

I do agree with your assessment that you, myself, and many others looking into HD contents do not represent typical consumers. Hence, most premium AV contents remain in the niche market status.
  • Reply 220 of 421
    Quote:

Seriously, did you really miss the part of my post that said my "this isn't true for everybody"? And yet you have the gaul to tell me that "all you have to do is look [for red box]"? As if I'm just an idiot or perhaps lying? Then you further the insult by suggesting that there is something wrong with my city. Great, real mature.

Because you've only tried "several" netflix streams, perhaps you might want to look again before deciding that "none approach the quality of even an average BD". They're certainly lower bit rate, but much of the population would find some of the HD streams indistinguishable from bluray. I'm sure that last sentence blew your mind, but it is true. Try browsing the HD section of netflix. I'd be interested in hearing your opinion after you've watched some HD streams. 7 megabit can look pretty good with a modern codec, definitely much better than just upconverted DVD.

Wow! Did you get up on the wrong side of the bed or something?

According to a recent news article Redbox has 26,900 kiosks primarily in supermarkets, convenience stores and MacDonalds. Here they're practically ubiquitous, if you say they're not in Pittsburg so be it.

Regarding Netflix, yes I'm sure that a HD download would look better than a DVD one, but if it's in HD I'd prefer to watch it in BD. The PQ should be better and the sound, particularly LFE, should be much better, something you with your water heater size SW should appreciate.

As I said before, there's no right format for everyone. Go with what works for you.