A Ping Privacy Issue?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
When you authorize Ping in iTunes, it uses your iTunes account name automatically and provides no other option for changing what everyone else sees. What if you prefer to use an alias instead of your real name? Speaking of an alias, if you'd already created one for reviewing music on iTunes, Ping automatically associates that alias with your real name in Ping, so that alias is also now no longer anonymous either.

Seems like a problem to me. Anybody else think Apple made a mistake here?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Ever tried clicking "Edit Profile"?

Because you can change things there.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Thank you for your sarcastic but unhelpful response.

If you change the profile name, then you change the name on your iTunes account. They are one in the same, which is my point. Previously, your iTunes account name was between you and Apple. Now it is available to everyone. Maybe that's not the greatest idea.

Also, what about your previous aliases now being associated directly with your iTunes account name. Is that what you wanted, or do you have a way to avoid this?

Also, the default choice when activating Ping is to allow everyone to join your network. That's another issue, which can be avoided -- but only if you notice the option.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    I suspect this is going to be changed very soon. We absolutely must be able to use an anonymous nickname without messing with our billing details.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

I suspect this is going to be changed very soon. We absolutely must be able to use an anonymous nickname without messing with our billing details.

Exactly. Even more importantly, our previously anonymous nicknames should not be linked right back to our real name the moment we sign up for Ping. I'm not seeing enough caring about this issue yet for Apple to get the message that it was a mistake to run Ping this way. I'd like to turn it off for now, but I don't see any way to do that, either.