iTunes 10 now available for download

Comments

• Reply 101 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I have to agree with the naysayers on this one. The new UI is crap.

The lack of color flattens out the appearance of the album/list view, which now makes everything run together. The album art on the left was a real boneheaded decision, and there is no way to get rid of the layout hogging album art. My normal screen view now needs 30% more screen just to see details I want to see on my music files. Really, really bad guys. Who approved this?

Well I think the process goes something like this.....Steve says "I want the buttons this way" and then they push it out to everyone.
  • Reply 102 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pondosinatra View Post

Make the interface consistent for each major release. How hard of a bloody concept is that to grasp??

Change everything in one go then? For every app? Revolution, not evolution?

And as iTunes 10 is, on the basis of it's version number at least, a major release what's the issue? Or are you saying iTunes is a part of Mac OS X?
  • Reply 103 of 153
    I'm not fond of the all grey side bar, although it keeps things unobtrusive, it looks very bland and less easy to spot specific items.

The vertical Close, min, max buttons are ok, but I hope this isn't the new standard.

I really dislike the new device capacity indicator. It looks horrid in comparison to the old one.

Ping is a good idea. It looks like a great way to interact with your favourite artists and for new artists to get their material out to music lovers.
  • Reply 104 of 153
    Quote:

Well I think the process goes something like this.....Steve says "I want the buttons this way" and then they push it out to everyone.

My gosh... the more I look at it, the more I hate it. Feh. Seems they need a Jony Ives equivalent in their UI/graphic design department. What happened to all of these supposed hot shot designers they were hiring? Is the state of design education THAT bad?
  • Reply 105 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stuffe View Post

Change everything in one go then? For every app? Revolution, not evolution?

Yes. If an interface design is warranted then apply it consistently otherwise it's not worth applying.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by stuffe View Post

And as iTunes 10 is, on the basis of it's version number at least, a major release what's the issue? Or are you saying iTunes is a part of Mac OS X?

iTunes is an APPLICATION. Therefore it should adhere to the same application window guidelines that exists for the rest of the OS.
  • Reply 106 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpinDrift View Post

I'm not fond of the all grey side bar, although it keeps things unobtrusive, it looks very bland and less easy to spot specific items.

The vertical Close, min, max buttons are ok, but I hope this isn't the new standard.

I really dislike the new device capacity indicator. It looks horrid in comparison to the old one.

Ping is a good idea. It looks like a great way to interact with your favourite artists and for new artists to get their material out to music lovers.

The check boxes practically disappear now that they've been given the flat grey treatment. My eyes can't stand it.

Also, how can I turn off that bloody Ping logo in the side bar? I could care less what 'the social' is listening to.
  • Reply 107 of 153
    Quote:

Yes. If an interface design is warranted then apply it consistently otherwise it's not worth applying.

iTunes is an APPLICATION. Therefore it should adhere to the same application window guidelines that exists for the rest of the OS.

I don't think we will see eye to eye on this one. Guidelines are for guidance. Sort of "if you haven't a clue, this is a good way of sorting your stuff out". You adhere to rules, not guidelines. There's no reason why an app, even one from Apple, cannot tread it's own path in small areas of it's interface usage. It might be because Steve wanted it that way, it may be a way of gauging real life usage information for a potential future implementation on a wider scale. People don't like change, sometimes the only way to acheive it is to thrust it upon people. If the general opinion after 12 months usage is that the buttons don't work, or provide usage problems for users who cannot adjust, meybe they will change it back. Just like they did with the iPod shuffle. Or we may all come to love it, and ask for more. One things for sure, if this was just mooted as an idea it would never get off the ground due to peoples reluctance to alter what they find familiar.
  • Reply 108 of 153
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    I really don't understand why Apple doesn't follow its own UI in what is probably its most important piece of software. That's just bizarre.
  • Reply 109 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

I really don't understand why Apple doesn't follow its own UI in what is probably its most important piece of software. That's just bizarre.

Sometimes "creative destruction" gets confused with "design for design's sake". Not quite the same.
  • Reply 110 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by deltawing03 View Post

It was absolutely a terrible idea to have iTunes be the only program with vertical buttons. not cool

You're absolutely right, how could they possibly do this to us?! Unbelievable, I feel so violated.

Time to look for a PC replacement, this is just inexcusable.
  • Reply 111 of 153
    Ok, on the positive side, this is really fast and snapy.

But there's an important negative too where apple shot themselves in a very unapplelike fashion on the feet. Wtf is up with everything being greyed out? Basic neuroscience tells us people can tell images apart faster than words, why on earth would they grey out the preferences icons, as well as the sidebar. This makes absolutely no sense at all. Instead of enabling playlists to have icons akin to album art (something that I ve been wishing they do for a long time) they go and grey everything out....

As someone said, it does hurt the eyes so much, that to my, tired, eyes it's almost unusable. As Steve said they "are not perfect". I see this grey thing being in the past at most in a few weeks.
  • Reply 112 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Object-X View Post

It's so....gray.

No kidding. I am still in shock. The colors in the interface were very important to me. Let's hope everyone submits a complaint so they put the color back in the first update.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpinDrift View Post

1. Put Color Sidebar Back.

2. Put MB amount back in Free Space when it's less than 1GB. Don't want to know fractions of GB.

3. Ping is unusable if you have written hundreds of reviews under a nickname you're known for. No option to keep your nickname and you forfeit future use of your established nickname if you join Ping. That is an incredibly stupid rule.

Please use this link to formally submit negative feedback to the Apple iTunes Development Team
  • Reply 113 of 153
    All videos played through iTunes are now all pixely looking. Is anyone else experiencing this?

What's the deal?

Scale a video up and you will see what I mean.

It's like Quartz Extreme smoothing has been deactivated.
  • Reply 114 of 153
    USER INTERFACE is really the KEY to someone Accepting or Immediately disliking the program and have to be won over. A perfect example is the IPHONE4, people loved the way it looked and were enthused.

APPLE either has something in mind or missed the boat with ITUNES 10. Its just awkward and Cold.
  • Reply 115 of 153
    mariomario Posts: 348member
    execute this from Terminal and get back the horizontal window buttons for your iTunes.:

defaults write com.apple.iTunes full-window -int -1

Also, if you hate the new icon save the old icon before you update, and then put it back.
  • Reply 116 of 153
    Quote:

Are you effing kidding me? Another goddamn interface change? Vertical open/close buttons now? Again, are you effing kidding me? Enough. STANDARDIZE ON A CONSISTENT INTERFACE!!!!

The original Mac OS designers must be throwing up a little in their mouths right now.

Time to go to Gnome or KDE methinks. Pathetic.

i probably won't be the only one to point this out, but the last major version of gnome just swapped the default side for the window buttons...
  • Reply 117 of 153
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    I like everything, well at least, now that I restored the window buttons. The dock icon is fine, better than the old one. I don't particularly like complicated icons. I prefer the adobe creative suite style so this iTunes look is a step in the right direction in my opinion.
  • Reply 118 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonnyboy View Post

i probably won't be the only one to point this out, but the last major version of gnome just swapped the default side for the window buttons...

Why don't people read?

'Major version' is the key point. If you change something then make it consistent across the OS when you do a new release. I'm pretty sure if you open up a terminal window in that version all the window buttons aren't suddenly changed from any other window you open correct?
  • Reply 119 of 153
    Quote:

Are you effing kidding me? Another goddamn interface change? Vertical open/close buttons now? Again, are you effing kidding me? Enough. STANDARDIZE ON A CONSISTENT INTERFACE!!!!

The original Mac OS designers must be throwing up a little in their mouths right now.

Time to go to Gnome or KDE methinks. Pathetic.

Yeah, Gnome or KDE, that's the answer. Ha, ha, ha! Good one!

Some people seem to have thought you were serious.
  • Reply 120 of 153
    quillzquillz Posts: 209member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

Excuse my french, but what the c.ck is that new icon?

Is it some kind of sick joke where steve balmer sneaked in with his design team? Can I get my old icon back?

You can. Go find the old icon and change it manually or with CandyBar.