Google disputes Apple's indirect claims about Android activations

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs suggested Wednesday that reported Android activations from Google are falsely inflated because they include upgrades -- an insinuation that the search giant quickly disputed.

Kicking off his keynote Wednesday, Jobs said that more than 120 million iOS devices have shipped since the iPhone first launched in 2007. Then, in a thinly veiled attack against Google's Android mobile operating system, he revealed how many iOS devices are activated daily.

"People are throwing around a lot of numbers as to how many of their operating systems they're activating per day," Jobs told the crowd. "We are activating a little over 230,000 iOS devices per day. And that's new activations."

He continued: "We think that some of our friends are counting upgrades in their numbers. If we counted upgrades in our numbers, they'd be way higher than 230,000. But we think the most appropriate way to count them is just new activations."

Those "friends," of course, are officials at Google, who recently claimed that more than 200,000 Android devices were being activated every day.

But a spokesperson for Google disputed Jobs' claims. In a statement given to Fortune, the company suggested that Jobs' comments were inaccurate.

"The Android activations numbers do not include upgrades and are, in fact, only a portion of the Android devices in the market, since we only include devices that have Google services," the spokesperson said.

Earlier this year, it was alleged that Jobs feels betrayed by Google, a company that Apple was close partners with until it began producing phones that resemble the iPhone. The New York Times alleged that Jobs felt Google "violated the alliance" between the two companies.

At Wednesday's keynote, Jobs also revealed that more than 6.5 billion applications have been downloaded from the App Store on the iPhone, iPod touch and iPad. That's 200 applications every second.

There are currently more than 250,000 applications available on the App Store, Jobs also said. Of those, 25,000 are available for the iPad and its 9.7-inch display.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 69
    God this forum is going to go south really quickly......................
  • Reply 2 of 69
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Which is their right to do if they believe said claims to be misleading/false.
  • Reply 3 of 69
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Steve Jobs wouldn't be a good CEO if he told the complete truth.
  • Reply 4 of 69
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

More like compulsive lying, if you believe his wikipedia page. Let's not forget that Internet Explorer is the best browser for the Mac and AT&T is the best cellular provider.
  • Reply 5 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Tells the truth = Ordinary Worker

Tells incomplete truth = CEO

Tells complete lies = Politician
  • Reply 6 of 69
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    You cannot just take statements out of their context though.

At the time IE was the best browser option for the Mac. AT&T has been the best carrier option for Apple. These are true at one particular time but things change and it doesn't mean they have to remain true.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

More like compulsive lying, if you believe his wikipedia page. Let's not forget that Internet Explorer is the best browser for the Mac and AT&T is the best cellular provider.

• Reply 7 of 69
    I actually listened to event whilst driving home in my car and don't remember Jobs mentioning Google or Android at all.

I'll have to have a rerun of the event unless someone here knows otherwise.
  • Reply 8 of 69
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    This childish feud is just moronic. What's the need to even comment on activations? Is Jobs developing insecurities about Android or something. Geez.
  • Reply 9 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

He he and the truth shall set you free.

Do you think money has something to do with it?
  • Reply 10 of 69
    Who's to believe Gaagle? After all, Eric T. Mole sat on Board at Apple and used his presence there to further his own ambitions and NOT serve the interests of Apple and its shareholders.
  • Reply 11 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr Underhill View Post

I actually listened to event whilst driving home in my car and don't remember Jobs mentioning Google or Android at all.

I'll have to have a rerun of the event unless someone here knows otherwise.

I was listening as well and got the impression that he was correcting the media's numbers about activations in general (including iOS devices). I don't remember other companies being mentioned at all.
  • Reply 12 of 69
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

How true, how true!
  • Reply 13 of 69
    normmnormm Posts: 653member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

But a spokesperson for Google disputed Jobs' claims. In a statement given to Fortune, the company suggested that Jobs' comments were inaccurate. "The Android activations numbers do not include upgrades and are, in fact, only a portion of the Android devices in the market, since we only include devices that have Google services," the spokesperson said.

07/20/2010: Apple announces 100M iOS devices sold (Q3 conference call).

09/01/2010: Apple announces 120M iOS devices sold (special iPod event).

That's 500,000 sales per day during that period. Apple's 230,000 activations per day don't include over half of the devices it sells, which don't have a cellular network activation.
  • Reply 14 of 69
    I doubt if Jobs exaggerated the 230,000 iOS activations/day since he otherwise will be in deep trouble with SEC . This means Apple is on track to selling well over 20 million iOS devices this quarter. No matter how you divide this number among iPhones, iPads, and iPod Touches; it becomes obvious that they are well underway to having another blockbuster quarter. How come no one is talking about this? Have I made a wrong assumption here?
  • Reply 15 of 69
    At 200,000 activations a day, that's 18 million devices a quarter. I don't think Android is selling that many. Blackberry and iPhones are near the 10 million mark. I think IDC published numbers that showed that the market share for devices other than Blackberry, iPhone, and Nokia was 25%. Assuming they were all Android, that would give them approximately 12-13 million units, still less than 18.

Here's another one. iPhone sales are close to Android. Even if Android has more smartphone share, that means Android should have similar activation numbers to the iPhone. Of 230,000 iOS devices, I estimate only 100,000 are iPhones (making about 9 million a quarter, an accurate figure). How can Android be selling twice the # of smartphones as iPhone does and not directly benefit Motorola and HTC? Wouldn't we all notice it by now?
  • Reply 16 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

...AT&T has been the best carrier option for Apple. These are true at one particular time but things change and it doesn't mean they have to remain true.

For Apple is right. For their customers? That's another story.
  • Reply 17 of 69
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jarina View Post

I was listening as well and got the impression that he was correcting the media's numbers about activations in general (including iOS devices). I don't remember other companies being mentioned at all.

No other companies mentioned but Jobs said "we think some of our friends included upgraded in their..."
  • Reply 18 of 69
    this is stupid.

He insinuated third parties count figures for APPLE that include upgrades.
  • Reply 19 of 69
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Those are huge numbers. I'm guessing that 230,000 devices will get a boost when the new touch becomes available. I think that the update to the touch to include all widely requested features was largely driven by the Android numbers. The only feature that was tossed around that did not make it was 3G, which was pretty outlandish even for someone like me who loves me Touch.
  • Reply 20 of 69
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

You cannot just take statements out of their context though.

At the time IE was the best browser option for the Mac. AT&T has been the best carrier option for Apple. These are true at one particular time but things change and it doesn't mean they have to remain true.

Well, at the time I had selected Netscape and Verizon so I disagreed with both of his assertions.