Apple issues fourth beta of Mac OS X 10.6.5 to developers

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple on Thursday seeded its fourth beta of Mac OS X 10.6.5 to developers, as the security and maintenance update continues to be tested before its public release.

People familiar with the latest build, said to be known as 10H535, indicated that it features the same focus areas as the previous build, issued exactly one week ago Developers have reportedly been asked to concentrate on 3D Graphics, Mail, iCal, QuickTime, Time Machine and USB Devices.

The latest build is also said to have the same known issue as before, in which having VMWare or Parallels installed may prevent the use of devices connected to a USB port.

Apple of late has been regularly issuing betas of Mac OS X 10.6.5 on a weekly basis. Before last week's build, the previous beta came 7 days before that. And the first build was issued on Friday, Aug. 13.

The current release of Mac OS X, version 10.6.4, was issued in June following WWDC. It packed fixes for trackpads on Apple's notebook computers, and also addressed issues with Adobe's Creative Suite 3. In addition, it included Safari 5, Apple's latest Web browser.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    rokradrokrad Posts: 143member
    More OpenGL support maybe? Possibly? Hopefully? ?
  • Reply 2 of 23
    It's great that 10.6.5 is rolling around, but I'm honestly surprised that we haven't seen or heard more (nearly ANYTHING for that matter) regarding the NEXT big cat - here kitty kitty kitty...
  • Reply 3 of 23
    crunchcrunch Posts: 180member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stonefingers View Post

It's great that 10.6.5 is rolling around, but I'm honestly surprised that we haven't seen or heard more (nearly ANYTHING for that matter) regarding the NEXT big cat - here kitty kitty kitty...

Anything in particular you're not happy with Snow Leopard?
  • Reply 4 of 23
    Quote:

Yeah! Can't wait... but it'll never be called Leo (for Lion) because Steve is Pissed at Leo Laporte.
  • Reply 5 of 23
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crunch View Post

Be nice to have iChat client that interfaces with those tens of millions of facetime iDevices now out.
  • Reply 6 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crunch View Post

How about that we have hardly seen any new feature or innovation in the last 2 years and 10 months? (Snow) Leopard is old already!
  • Reply 7 of 23
    i kinda wish these updates through in new features, not just fixes. That would definitely give more value to the Mac hardware
  • Reply 8 of 23
    why can't apple make a hibernate feature, i mean, theboot time is really fast on OSX, but open my programs takes forever (probably only reason i have a thinkpad)

i mean, this is not a huge problem for most people, but, for people who have lots open generally.

i just think its one of the nicest features in windows, the ability to use no power (well, same as shut down state i think) and be able to come back to my 6-7 different programs and 30-40 tabs....
  • Reply 9 of 23
    dcj001dcj001 Posts: 301member
    Quote:

We're about halfway to 10.7 from 10.6.
  • Reply 10 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nicolbolas View Post

why can't apple make a hibernate feature, i mean, theboot time is really fast on OSX, but open my programs takes forever (probably only reason i have a thinkpad)

i mean, this is not a huge problem for most people, but, for people who have lots open generally.

i just think its one of the nicest features in windows, the ability to use no power (well, same as shut down state i think) and be able to come back to my 6-7 different programs and 30-40 tabs....

They have it, it's called safe sleep. It has been around for quite a while.
  • Reply 11 of 23
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macosxp View Post

How about that we have hardly seen any new feature or innovation in the last 2 years and 10 months? (Snow) Leopard is old already!

After years of installing Linux every six months the stability of Mac OS/X is a significant relief. I'm more concerned about the apps that come with the Mac. Some of that is rolled into iLife but not everything that should be updated regularly.

In any event what are you looking for?

Dave
  • Reply 12 of 23
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:

This has not been an issue for me. Are you short on RAM?

Quote:

Sounds like a RAM issue but you also could be suffering from a slow hard disk.

Quote:

Macs have done this for years, try closing the lid.

However realize that you should sync app data before doing that. It is a personal rule for me but sleep is very reliable on the Mac.

Dave
  • Reply 13 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

However realize that you should sync app data before doing that. It is a personal rule for me but sleep is very reliable on the Mac.

Dave

the mbk that i have, does not offer "safe sleep" on its menu, plus my problem is more of being able to not use POWER @ all, also on the old g5 that i have, i never found a "safe sleep" option... sry for my... lack of knowledge i guess would be the best term

on that though, i just searched safe sleep, and found out its a kind of sleep... imo kind stupid... cause its in a place were i and probably most people would ever look..

also, power is no problem with opening programs, it just takes long then win7 boot + log-in, and i have to find all my docs etc. then open those up as well \

well, now i just find myself wishing that Apple could put "safe sleep" in a place that makes for sense (imo of course)
  • Reply 14 of 23
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macosxp View Post

Well what new features would you like, or would you prefer to see something 'new' just for the sake of it?
  • Reply 15 of 23
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:

It's called sleep. It's been there for as long as I can remember.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    eluardeluard Posts: 319member
    One thing I would like to see fixed is the failure of USB sticks to properly disengage. About one in 10 times there is a notice that something is in use, when I know that nothing on the stick is. This forces a restart which still does not allow the stick to be properly ejected. Some documents invariably are unopenable afterwards. Please fix this!
  • Reply 17 of 23
    I wish they could redo the finder, the different window sizes really are annoying. Better cut/copy and paste would be good, especially when you compare two folders and want to replace files or add files. Doubt that will happen though.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    I hope to see less beachballs.

Updated IPv6 in the admin tools for the server.
  • Reply 19 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr Beardsley View Post

They have it, it's called safe sleep. It has been around for quite a while.

Sleep in OS X is really not equivalent to Hibernate in Windows. In Sleep mode, an Apple laptop still provides power to the RAM to keep the contents active. This makes for much faster wake-up times, but gradual battery drain. The closest thing to Hibernate in OS X is called Safe Sleep (if you've ever let your laptop battery completely die while running, you've seen Safe Sleep before).

Safe Sleep writes the content of your RAM to your boot disk, and then shuts off power to the machine (i.e. no battery usage). When you wake it back up, it copies the content back to your RAM. Takes longer to wake up, but you can Safe Sleep indefinitely without power.

You can permanently enable Safe Sleep from Terminal, or use this handy widget to do it each time.

http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashb...deepsleep.html
  • Reply 20 of 23
    3D Graphics == Graphic Drivers Update 2.0 ?

I dunno but maybe the 1.0 Graphic Drivers update did something but not as expected, SC 2 still runs terrible even in my iMac 27'', (30 fps) for this computer its too low. I think there many things that can be improved, and of course Blizzard has to do its part also release a patch fixing all the leaks and stuff they are having under the Mac OS client.

This way apple can really market the iMac as a gaming platform otherwise that ad should be removed because its pure ******** and Apple its lying us BIG TIME!.