iTunes 10 now available for download

Comments

• Reply 121 of 153
    quillzquillz Posts: 209member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Finally, why, why, why, is this "iTunes 10"? It's a minor upgrade, it does not bring 64 bits, it does not bring all carbon, it does not do a major redesign or re-think of the UI. They haven't even fixed long-standing stuff like the garbage they call "Internet Radio support." iTunes 10 should have been reserved for the big changes we all know that the application needs.

I agree with this. This easily could have been iTunes 9.x. Now we'll have to wait for iTunes 11 to see any more major changes.
  • Reply 122 of 153
    quillzquillz Posts: 209member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonnyboy View Post

i probably won't be the only one to point this out, but the last major version of gnome just swapped the default side for the window buttons...

No, they didn't. You're probably confusing GNOME for Ubuntu 10.04.
  • Reply 123 of 153
    phizzphizz Posts: 142member
    Hmmm...

Right click on iTunes Store, Ping, a Playlist, whatever - something in the left hand side panel and choose "Open in New Window"

It opens in a new window with a title bar, but still with the vertical traffic lights, with a space above them - I didn't mind the traffic lights until I saw that! With the blank title bar above them they just seem very wrong.
  • Reply 124 of 153
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Multimedia View Post

2. Put MB amount back in Free Space when it's less than 1GB. Don't want to know fractions of GB.

BTW, 0.259 GB = 259 MB in Snow Leopard, so this is really only a small cosmetic issue (though I agree, using MB is the proper way to this).
  • Reply 125 of 153
    For everybody who wants iTunes to look colorful like the good ol' days... Check out post #22 here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1006084

Pretty simple instructions - a 10 second job. Worked perfectly. Looks so much better now

Cheers,

Harshad
  • Reply 126 of 153
    @anonymouse well some people didn't miss this, but you should have ignored it too, esp. when what we have in our hands is a train wreck of interface by apple here. Taking pot shots at kde won't help.
  • Reply 127 of 153
    Video playback bug in iTunes 10. It's not just me.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....184&tstart=120
  • Reply 128 of 153
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Remember the message: "Not enough space, do you want to switch off podcasts?"

Previously, you could just hit 'No', uncheck or delete a few things and try again. iTunes would delete the removed items and then do a normal sync (provided deleting them created enough free space).

Now, iTunes won't get as far as deleting removed items, but stumble with that

original error message. You also cannot delete files manually from your iDevice. The only way is the completely disable a the section, sync, and re-enable.
  • Reply 129 of 153
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Reply 130 of 153
    mariomario Posts: 348member
    It looks like the biggest problem with iTunes 10 is that it sounds a lot worse than before. It's too bassy and "dirty" sounding.

I just can't think who would think this thing is an improvement of the previous version? You would have to be an idiot to do that.

Has Apple really reached this point that they can only get worse from here?
  • Reply 131 of 153
  • Reply 132 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

They probably feel that they have this issue covered in the linked 'allowance' accounts for itunes. The way they designed it, you would create your account then a child account for your daughter wither her own Apple ID and password, but all money concerns come back to you (including being able to load money on her account for her to use), plus you get parental controls etc. And I believe when she turns 18 you can have her account separated from yours so she can keep using it for her music, apps etc

Seems like a very clunky solution. Probably not something I'd bother with. (I don't do 'allowances', for instance. Not because I am super-rich or anything, but rather, because the kids are generally quite responsible and they don't abuse their privileges. I'll bet a lot kids are no different).
  • Reply 133 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mario View Post

It looks like the biggest problem with iTunes 10 is that it sounds a lot worse than before. It's too bassy and "dirty" sounding.

HAHAHA oh man, I couldn't contain myself for this one. You think it sounds worse? I'm pretty sure this was mostly a cosmetic update. If you really think it sounds different, you're fooling yourself.
  • Reply 134 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

It ends up looking like a bad pewter and enamel belt-buckle you bought on vacation in Mexico.

I have a couple, and I know what you mean......
  • Reply 135 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mario View Post

execute this from Terminal and get back the horizontal window buttons for your iTunes.:

defaults write com.apple.iTunes full-window -int -1

Also, if you hate the new icon save the old icon before you update, and then put it back.

It's when I read stuff like this that I actually start to worry about where Apple is headed vis-a-vis the average consumer.
  • Reply 136 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

Video playback bug in iTunes 10. It's not just me.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....184&tstart=120

Not just you. Doesn't look good at all.

Also, has anyone noticed that playback audio is lower?
  • Reply 137 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

They also rearranged the close, minimize and expand buttons. Who thought of breaking the consistency of the Ul? Fire him.

Probably was Steve himself....
  • Reply 138 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by merlinw View Post

Not just you. Doesn't look good at all.

Also, has anyone noticed that playback audio is lower?

Further checking of a sample of videos on my computer, poor playback quality, poor sound, and choppy!

All of these videos played great with iTunes 9.
  • Reply 139 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teedoff087 View Post

HAHAHA oh man, I couldn't contain myself for this one. You think it sounds worse? I'm pretty sure this was mostly a cosmetic update. If you really think it sounds different, you're fooling yourself.

Ah, no I'm not. I'm actually quite discerning when it comes to things like that. I also hook my macs to high end amp and high end speakers, so I actually hear frequencies that most people don't.

The change they made is fine for the tiny macbook pro speakers that practically have no bass, but suck for the real deal.

Ah well, there are better players out there anyway. I'm forced to use iTunes to sync my phone so I used for music as well as a one shop stop, but not any more.
  • Reply 140 of 153
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Notice UI has the three balls, red yellow and green placed vertically? A first I think.