Google planning music store to take on Apple

Comments

• Reply 21 of 89
    If this is what it takes to get a Google-developed desktop syncing solution in place for Android devices, I'm all for it.
  • Reply 22 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

I bet Google will offer the labels a cut of advertising revenues.

Very prescient observation. That's basically how Google has worn down the networks with Youtube: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/03/te...e.html?_r=1&hp

The labels are 'worried' about Apple? Wait till they become a subsidiary to Google's aspirations.....
  • Reply 23 of 89
    Gaagle's motto is really, "Don't be evil; be evil-er!"
  • Reply 24 of 89
    nerudaneruda Posts: 439member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ihxo View Post

Google's strategy. Do whatever Apple's doing..... but with Ads.

Exactly. Next, they'll say that they were actually developing this service a year before iTunes came out.

Apple=Still the old Apple (limited marketshare due to tight hardware/software control). Google =The new Microsoft (copy everything Apple does).
  • Reply 25 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shadash View Post

Competition?

No - pretentious, wanna-be Apple killers pounding their chest and proclaiming their vaporware to be superior to Apple's shipping products. (Not to mention the Greek chorus online clownboys following in their wake, predicting Apple's imminent demise.)

Competition? Yeah, sure, Apple only has a ten-year lead. They only put Tower Records and their ilk out of business, that's all. They're only the biggest seller of music on the planet today. Sure. They're terrified of competition.
  • Reply 26 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpellino View Post

Hard to bet against Andy, but I hope Google isn't banking on their last online innovation - Wave - a product so advanced no one could figure out what it did.

Dude, I've never even heard of Wave. What *did* it do?
  • Reply 27 of 89
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    I like having the Amazon option and I?ll like having Google! I?ll still prefer Apple?s 256 kbps MP4s when available, but having more options means more chances to find the song/album I want.
  • Reply 28 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

The interview above interview took place using FaceTime on the iPhone?

ha! awesome!
  • Reply 29 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Actually, one of the few things for which Google deserves credit is their policy of investing in renewable energy research and development.

Easy to do when you don't actually produce a physical product....

Besides, I was being facetious.
  • Reply 30 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ihxo View Post

Google's strategy.

Do whatever Apple's doing..... but with Ads.

very soon Im flushing my Gmail account for Mobile me

just cant handle Google anymore they are becoming MS more and more every day
  • Reply 31 of 89
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

I bet this stuff really gets old for Apple and company.

I bet they don't pay one bit of attention to it.

Google will screw it up - mainly because you and I aren't Google's customers - their advertisers are!

Wrong focus, poor experience will translate into lackluster penetration. The geeky fanbois will be all over it, but most regular people couldn't care less.
  • Reply 32 of 89
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Google is seriously becoming a full featured competitor to apple in the mobile space.

When you start seeing stories about Android developers hitting it big like you do with iOS App Store developers you might have a point.

Market share and gross sales do not necessarily denote "success". Just ask Nokia or RIM.
  • Reply 33 of 89
    ... good luck with that schmidt. You'll need it.
  • Reply 34 of 89
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Bash Google all you like for nipping at the heels of Apple in the hardware space. Let Apple try to compete with Google in ads. Google Analytics rules as does search. Apple knows where their strengths are and it isn't in going head to head with Google. They need to chill on the anti-Google theme or they will be crushed. They should seriously be looking at a strategy of no matter where your media comes from, store it in iTunes for convenient access to your iDevices
  • Reply 35 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

... Google will screw it up - mainly because you and I aren't Google's customers - their advertisers are! ....

Agree. Google gives software away free to make money through advertising revenue. Their software does two things: 1. it provides screen real estate for their advertisers' ads, and 2. it gets eyeballs on their advertisers' ads.

Microsoft is different in that they actually sell software licenses for money. But the whole internet thing is completely incomprehensible to Ballmer. He has no clue how to generate revenue from ads. Microsoft ends up just buying web traffic by paying people to use their search engine, and of course taking ads out on TV and on popular web sites.

Remember those idiotic Jerry Seinfeld + Bill Gates ads? Yeah, didn't think so. I wonder how much it cost them to pay Seinfeld and buy all that air time. And for what? Microsoft's Online Services division is losing $700 million per quarter. Google makes money online, Microsoft loses money online. Yin and yang.

But Google has one trait in common with Microsoft: they have extremely poor taste. Google's software all looks like the generic aisle at the Dollar Store.
  • Reply 36 of 89
    and Apple likes it that way all the way to the bank. Its just as easy to buy from Amazon and have the song file located in the same folder as the iTunes songs for syncing. I have found Amazon to offer very competitive pricing. People like to do what's easy. Don't shop the competition and you may end up paying more.
  • Reply 37 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LighteningKid View Post

Dude, I've never even heard of Wave. What *did* it do?

It was awesome. It was a collaborative tool, where multiple people could edit stuff, sort of a mashup of a wiki and IM, except that you could see changes in real time, who made the changes, and all without Flash. Problem was that too few people used it and Google decided to kill off a promising use of HTML and Javascript thanks to "financial issues".
  • Reply 38 of 89
    My question is, what would anyone on here consider successful? We know Apple owns the US market in music sales and does well overseas. So what's considered successful if you're a competitor to Apple in the music space?
  • Reply 39 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

My question is, what would anyone on here consider successful? We know Apple owns the US market in music sales and does well overseas. So what's considered successful if you're a competitor to Apple in the music space?

Surpassing them in music sales?
  • Reply 40 of 89
    In other news: http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/02/s...lynx-title-ga/

Google is a very innovative company, they come up with all those ideas by themselves.