Apple posts iPad iOS 4.2 "Coming Soon" page

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Apple has posted an iPad software update page on its website with details of the forthcoming iOS 4.2.

The page, which went live Thursday, offers a preliminary look at some of the "100+ new features and innovations" for "the world's most advanced mobile operating system." The update is coming in November to iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch.

While the iPhone and iPod touch have already been upgraded to iOS 4, the iPad remains on a custom version, iOS 3.2. A few of the features of iOS 4, such as spell correction and support for Bluetooth keyboards, have been incorporated into the iPad-exclusive iOS 3.2, but iPad users will have to wait until November for the full update.

iPhone and iPod touch users, on the other hand, can upgrade to iOS 4.1 on Sept. 8.

Key additions to iOS 4.2 include folders, multitasking, support for wireless printing, and the new AirPlay wireless media streaming feature.

Game Center, improved Mail, finding and highlighting text on web pages, enhanced enterprise support, accessibility enhancements, and keyboard and dictionary enhancements are other features touted on Apple's website.

Apple CEO Steve Jobs demoed iOS 4.2 for iPad at Wednesday's media event.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 109
    Does this mean that printing will also be allowed from an iPhone? Or is this a "Pages Only" feature?
  • Reply 2 of 109
    You wouldn't need wireless printing if the iPad had a USB port.

Gotta love Apple. Leave a key feature off of a device and then make a big deal when they give it to you months later. Reminds me of when they left the mail app off of the first iPod touch and then charged me ten bucks to download it months later.
  • Reply 3 of 109
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

Gotta love Apple. Leave a key feature off of a device and then make a big deal when they give it to you months later. Reminds me of when they left the mail app off of the first iPod touch and then charged me ten bucks to download it months later.

I'll choose wireless print over USB any day.
  • Reply 4 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh;

Wow. Mr. Negative chimed in quick. The iPad doesn't need a USB port. Wireless printing on such a mobile device makes way more sense. The days of hardwired connectivity are coming to a close. You seem to have a strong history of complaining and complaining. And usually about stuff that isn't that important. A USB drive? Besides, by your logic, no device could ever be released because there would always be stuff it was missing. Of course apple is going to add features as a product stays on the market. That's what makes it a good product.
  • Reply 5 of 109
    Quote:

That's easily the dumbest thing I've ever read. Do you really want to plugin a USB printer to your iPad? Maybe an RJ11 telephone jack on the iPhone instead of cell? Ethernet port instead of wifi? Personally I'm simply outraged the iPad doesn't have an AT keyboard port. USB? Bluetooth? Non-sense! Gives me some wires or gives me death.
  • Reply 6 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

Any guesses at how this will work in practice? Will Apple be implementing this as a web service? If so the printer will need to have an public IP address
  • Reply 7 of 109
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

No kidding! Pining for wires? What will the trolls think of next?
  • Reply 8 of 109
    And yet people still feed it.
  • Reply 9 of 109
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:

IPad needs a USB port but I don't think anybody will ever us it for printing. Frankly it is a significant screw up on Apples part.

Quote:

Gotta love Apple. Leave a key feature off of a device and then make a big deal when they give it to you months later.

Apple simply responded to heavy demand. You can't blame Apple for not realizing what they had. Well you can, but the Mini tablet market hardly existed before Touch.

Quote:

Reminds me of when they left the mail app off of the first iPod touch and then charged me ten bucks to download it months later.

Thankfully the law has change yet again. Instead of whining consider how far Touch has come since introduction. These devices have significantly improved in a very very short time. That is a good thing for the people actually using them.

Dave
  • Reply 10 of 109
    The posting of the Coming Soon page was probably partially motivated by the recent Samsung Android tablet announcement to make sure people consider that improvements are coming to the iPad before thinking about the Galaxy Tab.

I wonder if AirPlay is coming to the iPhone and iPod Touch? I don't see a technical reason why. You'd think iPhone and 4th gen iPod Touch owners would have more user content to show on the Apple TV seeing they can go around shooting pictures and videos.
  • Reply 11 of 109
    Actually good to see that ANDROID is having an affect on APPLE in the sense that now APPLE must keep up and beat the features on ANDROID.
  • Reply 12 of 109
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nudist View Post

Any guesses at how this will work in practice? Will Apple be implementing this as a web service? If so the printer will need to have an public IP address

Not entirely. You can wireless print from a computer now if it is hooked up to another Mac or router. I'm sure it uses some variant of Bonjour.
  • Reply 13 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

Actually good to see that ANDROID is having an affect on APPLE in the sense that now APPLE must keep up and beat the features on ANDROID.

Actually, I hope Apple doesn't chase every competitor down every rabbit hole the way Microsoft is doing. Apple should focus on giving its customers what they want, not chasing their competitors. Unless of course you think licensing Mac OS to Mac clone makers to compete with Microsoft Windows in the 1990s was a good idea
  • Reply 14 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aviator View Post

Does this mean that printing will also be allowed from an iPhone? Or is this a "Pages Only" feature?

If it's part of the system preferences then it's system-wide.
  • Reply 15 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nudist View Post

It will probably just use Bonjour to locate printers on the same local network. Either printers with built in ethernet/wifi or printers shared from a computer or other host device. Perhaps an option to manually add a printer if it exists outside of the local subnet in enterprise environments.
  • Reply 16 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SinisterJoe View Post

That's easily the dumbest thing I've ever read. Do you really want to plugin a USB printer to your iPad? Maybe an RJ11 telephone jack on the iPhone instead of cell? Ethernet port instead of wifi? Personally I'm simply outraged the iPad doesn't have an AT keyboard port. USB? Bluetooth? Non-sense! Gives me some wires or gives me death.

My statement about the iPad's lack of USB is dead on accurate. Since you mentioned the keyboard, it is a miracle Mr. I hate buttons Jobs let you have one. I guess even he realized no one wants to peck out text with a virtual keypad on a ten inch device.

A USB port would be extremely useful. You could hook a digital camera to it and look at your pictures without involving another computer. Yeah it has a card reader if you happen to own a camera with that particular card and you feel like removing and installing it.

Leaving the USB off makes as much sense as when Apple left the firewire off of the first unibody macbook. The absolute nerve of Mr. Jobs to decide that every firewire camcorder in the world was useless and should be thrown away. But the people spoke out and under great pressure they brought it back for the next rev.

No, my post was not the "dumbest thing you've ever read." In fact it was spot on. You really made yourself look foolish in front of the other members here. I suggest you edit your post immediately before more people read it. And don't worry. I wont tell anyone. It will be our secret.
  • Reply 17 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bcs123 View Post

Wow. Mr. Negative chimed in quick. The iPad doesn't need a USB port.

Why of course it doesn't. If it did, then Mr. Jobs would have told you so. After all, he does your thinking for you.

Would you please think for yourself and not allow yourself to be blinded by whatever Apple says?
  • Reply 18 of 109
    -ag--ag- Posts: 123member
    Quote:

My statement about the iPad's lack of USB is dead on accurate. Since you mentioned the keyboard, it is a miracle Mr. I hate buttons Jobs let you have one. I guess even he realized no one wants to peck out text with a virtual keypad on a ten inch device.

Your a 10 inch device!

Quote:

A USB port would be extremely useful. You could hook a digital camera to it and look at your pictures without involving another computer. Yeah it has a card reader if you happen to own a camera with that particular card and you feel like removing and installing it.

Obviously you havent seen the camera kit. Its amazing what you can find when you actually look and dont jump to conclusions....time to put the mat away.

Quote:

Leaving the USB off makes as much sense as when Apple left the firewire off of the first unibody macbook. The absolute nerve of Mr. Jobs to decide that every firewire camcorder in the world was useless and should be thrown away. But the people spoke out and under great pressure they brought it back for the next rev.

Actually if you want to get technical, NO they didnt. They changed the 13" to the macbook PRO. So in reality they discontinued the 13" alu unibody "macbook"

Quote:

No, my post was not the "dumbest thing you've ever read." In fact it was spot on. You really made yourself look foolish in front of the other members here. I suggest you edit your post immediately before more people read it. And don't worry. I wont tell anyone. It will be our secret.

HAHAHHAHAHAHHAH oh the irony... btw meet my friend Mr Kettle.
  • Reply 19 of 109
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    So the weird thing is that we were told 4.1 was the unifying iOS. Now 4.2 is coming to the iPad. It isn't clear if that's the unified iOS. Is 4.2 going to be for the iPhone and iPod Touch too or will the iPad always have its own version?
  • Reply 20 of 109
    -ag--ag- Posts: 123member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

So the weird thing is that we were told 4.1 was the unifying iOS. Now 4.2 is coming to the iPad. It isn't clear if that's the unified iOS. Is 4.2 going to be for the iPhone and iPod Touch too or will the iPad always have its own version?

Well looking at the podcast of the event at 19 mins and 25 seconds we see this...

Not all models would mean the gen 1 touch and iphone. so probably just the things that cant use 4.0 atm.

I really wish people would actually watch these things instead of reading the blogs and then asking questions that are clearly there.