Apple posts iPad iOS 4.2 "Coming Soon" page

Comments

• Reply 21 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by -AG- View Post

Not all models would mean the gen 1 touch and iphone. so probably just the things that cant use 4.0 atm.

I really wish people would actually watch these things instead of reading the blogs and then asking questions that are clearly there.

Actually, it could presumably end up being restricted to the A4 chip, which means the 3GS and iPod Touch 3 would be nixed.

Doesn't matter, as I'm getting a Touch 4.
  • Reply 22 of 109
    Can we have wireless sync if they're so keen on no wires.
  • Reply 23 of 109
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Does Airplay stream movies from an iTunes library on a Mac or PC to an iPad?
  • Reply 24 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Does Airplay stream movies from an iTunes library on a Mac or PC to an iPad?

I think it does,

But, there's an app for that now-- StreamToMe:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/strea...325327899?mt=8

• Reply 25 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman;

I'll choose wireless print over USB any day.

Perhaps you should consider those of us who actually take our ipads away from the sofa and travel with it. It's a complete pain to print when you can't configure a network.
  • Reply 26 of 109
    When will you guys learn to ignore the trolls? Back OT, no love for search text in a safari page? That seems like a great little addition to me. Now I can easily search for my favorite trolls on any AI discussion, copy their monikers, and banish them to my ignore list.
  • Reply 27 of 109
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

My statement about the iPad's lack of USB is dead on accurate. Since you mentioned the keyboard, it is a miracle Mr. I hate buttons Jobs let you have one. I guess even he realized no one wants to peck out text with a virtual keypad on a ten inch device.

A USB port would be extremely useful. You could hook a digital camera to it and look at your pictures without involving another computer. Yeah it has a card reader if you happen to own a camera with that particular card and you feel like removing and installing it.

Leaving the USB off makes as much sense as when Apple left the firewire off of the first unibody macbook. The absolute nerve of Mr. Jobs to decide that every firewire camcorder in the world was useless and should be thrown away. But the people spoke out and under great pressure they brought it back for the next rev.

No, my post was not the "dumbest thing you've ever read." In fact it was spot on. You really made yourself look foolish in front of the other members here. I suggest you edit your post immediately before more people read it. And don't worry. I wont tell anyone. It will be our secret.

actually you're entirely wrong. The camera connection kit has an sd card slot and a usb port. You can connect any camera, with card or not and transfer/view pics without a computer.

This is an option, as is the keyboard dock. Apple realised from the beginning that some people would want this. So the option was provided.

The option exists, your point is irrelevant. If you want a device with different functionality, buy a different device.

Re. Firewire - I repeat my point. Fw800 was available on different models and 800 to 400 cables easily available and inexpensive. You make no point.

If you don't like a device, or it doesn't do all that you would like, don't buy it. Don't stamp your feet like a child.
  • Reply 28 of 109
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nudist View Post

Any guesses at how this will work in practice? Will Apple be implementing this as a web service? If so the printer will need to have an public IP address

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

Not entirely. You can wireless print from a computer now if it is hooked up to another Mac or router. I'm sure it uses some variant of Bonjour.

On a Mac the drivers are local, but where are the drivers going to reside for iPad printing?

Will the iPad have to DL new drivers as needed, potentially taking up copious amounts of space, telling you it can?t DL the necessary drivers do to a lack of space, or taking extended periods of time to DL the drivers before the first printing can occur, or will this require you to have a certain printer, or some other option.

Drivers for printing have gotten huge, but if it?s just the barebones being pulled into a unified print manager its possible that the drivers could be on the iPad, but I am guessing that they won?t.
  • Reply 29 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Actually, it could presumably end up being restricted to the A4 chip, which means the 3GS and iPod Touch 3 would be nixed.

Doesn't matter, as I'm getting a Touch 4.

It could be, but I doubt it. The A4 is mainly adding efficiency over the Cortex-A8 in the 3GS, and wireless printing isn?t a processor heavy task so I?d think the 3G could handle it fine. Of course, you never do, but it would seem woefully artificial if they did that.
  • Reply 30 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Actually, I hope Apple doesn't chase every competitor down every rabbit hole the way Microsoft is doing. Apple should focus on giving its customers what they want, not chasing their competitors.

How about they give us a proper filesystem, so that I can upload PDFs once and then open them with whatever PDF reader I want to install. Having to upload the same PDFs multiple times if I decide to install a new reader, using whatever potentially clunky upload mechanism the creator has written for it (e.g. a built in web server with upload capability) blows chunks. I would love to be able to use something like rsync to easily and quickly keep my iPad 'user created content' in sync with a folder on my desktop and be free to read/write/edit that content using any app I want. It would make the iPad so much more usable.

Do you honestly think they're going to do this of their own accord, just because we ask them nicely? I don't. They will do it eventually, but only when Android tablets take off, provide stiff competition; this functionality is part of Android, and Apple are getting panned publicly for the lack of it. So Andoid is going to be good for us, because it will keep Apple on their toes.
  • Reply 31 of 109
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    Finally! Text search in Safari!
  • Reply 32 of 109
    Lack of native printing from the iPad was a major deal breaker for most of us enterprise and education users. Provided it's implemented cleanly, you'll see a big jump in sales to these sectors.
  • Reply 32 of 109
    Quote:

You wouldn't need wireless printing if the iPad had a USB port.

Gotta love Apple. Leave a key feature off of a device and then make a big deal when they give it to you months later. Reminds me of when they left the mail app off of the first iPod touch and then charged me ten bucks to download it months later.

Cut and Paste too. You would have thought it was some sort of innovation instead of a standard feature to listen to the hype.
  • Reply 34 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bcs123 View Post

Of course apple is going to add features as a product stays on the market. That's what makes it a good product.

You seem to miss his point. He is not complaining about new, innovative features being added later. That is what you seem to be talking about.

Instead, he is complaining about basic features that every device has or should have. That is what you are missing.
  • Reply 35 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh;

Why of course it doesn't. If it did, then Mr. Jobs would have told you so. After all, he does your thinking for you.

Would you please think for yourself and not allow yourself to be blinded by whatever Apple says?

You are obnoxious. I refuse to argue with you. Get a grip on reality. Steve jobs is well within his rights to decide certain technologies are not relevant in his products. Send him an email to request those things or don't buy his products. It's very simple. But why mock the people who like the products and have no need for a stupid USB port on their iPad. If it was there, I would never once have had need for it. Plus, you mock apple for introducing new and helpful features as if every feature in your little brain should have been there from the get go. Why is it that you can't be happy with how far technology has come and all the new things that companies like apple and google have introduced to the market. Oh, that's right, cause you're a whinner. That's all you seem to now how to do.
  • Reply 36 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by akf2000 View Post

Can we have wireless sync if they're so keen on no wires.

Right.

It is absolutely NOT TRUE that Apple does away with wires. Wired printing would be a good thing.

And eliminating wires ain't got nothing to do with nothing.
  • Reply 37 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

You seem to miss his point. He is not complaining about new, innovative features being added later. That is what you seem to be talking about.

Instead, he is complaining about basic features that every device has or should have. That is what you are missing.

You are completely ignoring the important of the way a feature is implemented. Sure “copy and paste has been around for x decades blah blah blah.” If you just look at a white sheet it wouldn’t appear any different to have these features across systems, but if you actually analyze, use and understand how they work you’ll realize that a feature is much more than what you can technically put on a spec sheet, but what you one can feasibly use to make the experience better. No other OS has yet to match the iPhone’s cut and paste on a touch UI.
  • Reply 38 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2 cents View Post

When will you guys learn to ignore the trolls? Back OT, no love for search text in a safari page? That seems like a great little addition to me. Now I can easily search for my favorite trolls on any AI discussion, copy their monikers, and banish them to my ignore list.

Another basic feature of every browser. It is not notable that it is being added. It is notable that it was missing for so long.
  • Reply 39 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

If you don't like a device, or it doesn't do all that you would like, don't buy it. Don't stamp your feet like a child.

If you don't like a poster, or he doesn't say all that you would like, don't read his posts. Don't stamp your feet like a child.

Sheesh.
  • Reply 40 of 109
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:

You wouldn't need wireless printing if the iPad had a USB port.

A wireless device wouldn't need to be wireless if it had cables.

Seriously?!

You said this out loud. You're losing your touch Blacky.