Apple posts iPad iOS 4.2 "Coming Soon" page

Comments

• Reply 41 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newtron;

You seem to miss his point. He is not complaining about new, innovative features being added later. That is what you seem to be talking about.

Instead, he is complaining about basic features that every device has or should have. That is what you are missing.

It's interesting that a group of people who didn't work on building ios or iPhone know how easy it would have been to include certain features. They picked the ins they thought were most important and included those. As other ones were implemented, they added them. What's wrong with that? It is innovative when you have to be the first to implement it on a device without a mouse or an edit menu. Apple doesn't want to put trash into their products just so it's there. They wait till they get it right and it works well in whatever form factor they are developing.
  • Reply 42 of 109
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

Right.

It is absolutely NOT TRUE that Apple does away with wires. Wired printing would be a good thing.

And eliminating wires ain't got nothing to do with nothing.

The iPad is a mobile, wireless device. It's sort of the point. Correct your grammar and your double negative wouldn't leave you stating that "eliminating wires has everything to do with 'something'".
  • Reply 43 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

On a Mac the drivers are local, but where are the drivers going to reside for iPad printing?

Will the iPad have to DL new drivers as needed, potentially taking up copious amounts of space, telling you it can?t DL the necessary drivers do to a lack of space, or taking extended periods of time to DL the drivers before the first printing can occur, or will this require you to have a certain printer, or some other option.

Drivers for printing have gotten huge, but if it?s just the barebones being pulled into a unified print manager its possible that the drivers could be on the iPad, but I am guessing that they won?t.

Well, my laptop prints wirelessly to the printer connected to my desktop as I have the printer shared in system preferences. The laptop doesn't have the printer drivers, the desktop does. This isn't new technology and is already up and running under the Mac OS, people use it every day. It's just a new device being given this functionality.
  • Reply 44 of 109
    Quote:

Will the iPad have to DL new drivers as needed, potentially taking up copious amounts of space, telling you it can?t DL the necessary drivers do to a lack of space, or taking extended periods of time to DL the drivers before the first printing can occur, or will this require you to have a certain printer, or some other option.

Dunno. But I can tell you that I plugged my Win7 laptop into my brother-in-law's USB printer and the computer asked me if I wanted to install the drivers.

Moments later, I printed out my train ticket.

The iPad can't do anything like that, can it? What sort of fancy stuff would have been needed if I wanted to use an iPad to get a train ticket? Would it have been able to print? Wired? Wireless?

What is needed in order to use your neighbor's or friend's or office printer with an iPad?
  • Reply 45 of 109
    Quote:

You seem to miss his point. He is not complaining about new, innovative features being added later. That is what you seem to be talking about.

Instead, he is complaining about basic features that every device has or should have. That is what you are missing.

I see, and would you care to list every "basic feature" that you feel Apple should include in every device.

Would you like a Micro Flash port, SD card slot, USB 2 and UBS3, FW 400 and 800, eSATA, 3G, Wi-FI, Blue tooth, fibre channel card, full RAID capability, 6 gigs of ram, printing, infra-red port, an i7 processor, HD 16:9 screen, dial-up modem built in, floppy drive, ADB, SCSI and Parallel ports?

Is that what you think the right way to go is? Please all of the people all of the time and have fugly devices that cost several thousand dollars?

There will always be functionality that some people desire which will not be included in a device. It doesn't matter what Apple put in, it's people like you who would find something to complain about.

The Ipad is a device which was designed for media consumption with light creation potential. It's doing just fine, new functionality is being made available (free of charge) and yet you're still complaining?

Don't like it? Don't buy it. Buy a device which suits your needs.

Troll.
  • Reply 46 of 109
    Quote:

You are completig ignoring the important of the way a feature is implemented. Sure ?copy and paste? has been around for x decades blah blah blah.? If you just look at a white sheet it wouldn?t appear any different to have these features across systems, but if you actually analyze, use and understand how they work you?ll realize that a feature is much more than what you can technically put on a spec sheet, but what you one can feasibly use to make the experience better. No other OS has yet to match the iPhone?s cut and paste on a touch UI.

You're a riot. It works OK. Not great - for a whole bunch of reasons.

And to think that it took years to finally get it.
  • Reply 47 of 109
    Quote:

Dunno. But I can tell you that I plugged my Win7 laptop into my brother-in-law's USB printer and the computer asked me if I wanted to install the drivers.

Moments later, I printed out my train ticket.

The iPad can't do anything like that, can it? What sort of fancy stuff would have been needed if I wanted to use an iPad to get a train ticket? Would it have been able to print? Wired? Wireless?

What is needed in order to use your neighbor's or friend's or office printer with an iPad?

I'd imagine the installation of bonjour and then sharing your printers on the network. Bonjour is freely available to windows and mac users. Also - not forgetting blue-tooth printers out there - only a question of the drivers being created for those, or Apple using a similar auto-detect/auto-install driver model they use with snow leopard.
  • Reply 48 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bcs123 View Post

It's interesting that a group of people who didn't work on building ios or iPhone know how easy it would have been to include certain features. They picked the ins they thought were most important and included those. As other ones were implemented, they added them. What's wrong with that? It is innovative when you have to be the first to implement it on a device without a mouse or an edit menu. Apple doesn't want to put trash into their products just so it's there. They wait till they get it right and it works well in whatever form factor they are developing.

Easy is irrelevant. Basic and necessary are the correct criteria.

If this stuff was easy, everybody would have great devices. If putting basic functionality into a device is not easy for Apple, then they should get better friggin engineers; don't just leave out basic functionality!

Easy is irrelevant. Necessary is much more important as a decision factor.
  • Reply 49 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

I see, and would you care to list every "basic feature" that you feel Apple should include in every device.

No. I wouldn't.

Quote:

Would you like a Micro Flash port, SD card slot, USB 2 and UBS3, FW 400 and 800, eSATA, 3G, Wi-FI, Blue tooth, fibre channel card, full RAID capability, 6 gigs of ram, printing, infra-red port, an i7 processor, HD 16:9 screen, dial-up modem built in, floppy drive, ADB, SCSI and Parallel ports?

Is that what you think the right way to go is?

Nope. Wrong again!

Quote:

Troll.

Strike 3. Bye.
  • Reply 50 of 109
    Quote:

If this stuff was easy, everybody would have great devices. If putting basic functionality into a device is not easy for Apple, then they should get better friggin engineers; don't just leave out basic functionality!

Basic functionality.

Well, let's look at the basic functionality of the this device as marketed at launch
    • browse the web

• read books

• listen to music

• watch movies

• play games.

• perform light content creation

• view images

• use optional camera connection kit to connect camera and transfer/view images

• use optional bluetooth keyboard or keyboard dock if you wish to type a lot of content

• sync that content back to your computer.

It seems to do all of that. So I see no issue.

And - wait - what's this? It's going to do more and to have this additional functionality, over and above the device's advertised functions, is going to be free of charge?

And some people are complaining?

LMFAO.
  • Reply 51 of 109
    Quote:

No. I wouldn't.

Nope. Wrong again!

Strike 3. Bye.

Almost amusing. You have no responses because you have no point.

You won't even list the 'basic features' you feel are missing and denigrate Apple for daring to miss out of a product which I assume you haven't bought.

I do hope you're either 14 or in counselling of some sort.
  • Reply 52 of 109
    Quote:

I'd imagine the installation of bonjour and then sharing your printers on the network. Bonjour is freely available to windows and mac users. Also - not forgetting blue-tooth printers out there - only a question of the drivers being created for those, or Apple using a similar auto-detect/auto-install driver model they use with snow leopard.

Are you saying that I would have needed to install software on his computer? Instead uf just plugging his printer into my device and being good to go?

That's the sort of rigamarole that should not be necessary in order to do simple tasks. This stuff should just work. Plug in just about any printer, answer "yes" and moments later, print.

Where would Bonjour be needed to be installed? Would his printer have needed to be a wireless printer? What if his computer was standalone or if he had a wired LAN?
  • Reply 53 of 109
    Quote:

Are you saying that I would have needed to install software on his computer? Instead uf just plugging his printer into my device and being good to go?

That's the sort of rigamarole that should not be necessary in order to do simple tasks. This stuff should just work. Plug in just about any printer, answer "yes" and moments later, print.

Where would Bonjour be needed to be installed? Would his printer have needed to be a wireless printer? What if his computer was standalone or if he had a wired LAN?

Have you never used a networked printer before? It appears not. I'd imagine the reason for this being a new feature for the device is that the Apple engineers, who you are so much better than (apparantly) needed to answer all these questions, develop processes, drivers, test on different networks across windows and mac etc. etc.

You are very stupid, extremely arrogant and obviously have no IT knowledge if these are the questions you're asking. How does network printing work? Seriously?!
  • Reply 54 of 109
    stuffestuffe Posts: 394member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

My statement about the iPad's lack of USB is dead on accurate. Since you mentioned the keyboard, it is a miracle Mr. I hate buttons Jobs let you have one. I guess even he realized no one wants to peck out text with a virtual keypad on a ten inch device.

A USB port would be extremely useful. You could hook a digital camera to it and look at your pictures without involving another computer. Yeah it has a card reader if you happen to own a camera with that particular card and you feel like removing and installing it.

Leaving the USB off makes as much sense as when Apple left the firewire off of the first unibody macbook. The absolute nerve of Mr. Jobs to decide that every firewire camcorder in the world was useless and should be thrown away. But the people spoke out and under great pressure they brought it back for the next rev.

No, my post was not the "dumbest thing you've ever read." In fact it was spot on. You really made yourself look foolish in front of the other members here. I suggest you edit your post immediately before more people read it. And don't worry. I wont tell anyone. It will be our secret.

If my iPad had a heating element, I wouldn'd need a toaster. 100% accurate, and fully "spot on"(tm). Try to deny it...
  • Reply 55 of 109
    Quote:

You were the one who made it sond like it should be effortless to add these 'basic features' that are already on other devices . If they were such necessary features, I find it strange that so many people purchase ipads and are happy with them. I'm happy with mine. And I'm happy to see new features added periodically. Maybe they seem like necessary and basic features to you, but like icing on the cake to others. I didn't need to print from my iPad. I watch movies, surf the web, play games, write emails and all sorts of other things from my iPad, meaning there are lots of basic features available. Now, more are being added. What's the problem again? Oh right, everything under the sun should be available at launch. Guess there shouldn't have been cell phones until the basic features of email and browsers could be added. Or maybe we still shouldn't have them because there are so many other things they might theoretically be able to do if we'd just hold out a little longer.
  • Reply 56 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

My statement about the iPad's lack of USB is dead on accurate. Since you mentioned the keyboard, it is a miracle Mr. I hate buttons Jobs let you have one. I guess even he realized no one wants to peck out text with a virtual keypad on a ten inch device.

A USB port would be extremely useful. You could hook a digital camera to it and look at your pictures without involving another computer. Yeah it has a card reader if you happen to own a camera with that particular card and you feel like removing and installing it.

I've never read someone complain as much as you about meaningless AND WRONG issues. Maybe someone else replied to your stupid a$$ remark and I missed it.

Have you notice the Apple Camera Connection kit? http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC531ZM/A

That kit allows you to hookup a camera via a USB connection or SD card. MacWorld and others have also noted that some USB devices are also recognizes, like a keyboard - for wennies like you who like wires.
  • Reply 57 of 109
    Many thanks to all the Troll feeders who insist on quoting the entire post of the trolls I have blocked so that I can see their post anyway. Trust me, you will get under their skin far more if you completely ignore them. They post their idiot blather for the sole purpose of baiting you and you bite. Sheesh!
  • Reply 58 of 109
    C'mon guys. Can we exercise some self-discipline with trolls. 19 mentions of this guy and his pointless views already.

Another thread on the verge of being hijacked......
  • Reply 59 of 109
    Quote:

Big deal. Email it to your neighbor/friend. If you can't, don't use an iPad.
  • Reply 60 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jrandersoniii View Post

Have you notice the Apple Camera Connection kit?

You wouldn't need to buy a camera connection kit if the iPad had a USB port. Just like you would' t need wireless printing. You just made my point for me. Don't obsolete something and then sell me a work around and expect me to get all moony eyed. Think differently people.