Apple's iOS 4.1 ships for iPhone next week, will add HDR photos

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 111
    I love the HDR idea. Last weekend I was trying to take photos on a camping trip. If I set the exposure for the mountains in the background, the foreground would be too dark; if I set it for the foreground, the mountains would wash out.

I don't care enough about this to spend time finding alternative apps, but when it's added to the default Camera app, I'll definitely give it a try.
  • Reply 102 of 111
    By the way, I'm still reveling in the ability to set the exposure point by tapping the screen on my iPhone 4. I don't know if this technology is common on other devices or not, but coming from a six-year-old Kodak point-and-shoot it's amazing!
  • Reply 103 of 111
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

Watch the keynote - Jobs states clearly and specifically that iPhone 3G performance will be improved.

Although I still don't get why new software is being optimised for legacy hardware. Most manufacturers wouldn't bother - particularly HTC where Android 2 and it's "old" phones are concerned (I made the mistake of buying a top of the line HTC two days before android 2 came out to then be told that my device couldn't run it).

There's certainly no expectation when buying technology for it to be updated a year down the line with a brand new OS (rather than a point update) and also have it optimised and tweaked for the older hardware at zero cost.

Good on Apple for doing this, but it just gives people further reason to complain, when they should appreciate Apple making the effort when none of Apple's competitors do the same.

The thing is that Apple has been saying we'd be getting updates for two years after the original introduction of a given device and set up the accounting to work with that, so really, Apple is simply fulfilling their promise. The thing is, it really doesn't feel much like iOS 4, it seems to be iOS3 with folders, unified inbox and less efficient all around. One particular program doesn't work properly on iPhone 4 works just fine in iPhone 3G running iOS4, the best reason I can come up with is that iOS4 on 3G is still using a lot of the same code base as iPhone OS 3.
  • Reply 104 of 111
    Where on earth do you get the September 8th date from? There is no mention of this date on Apple's website for iOS 4.1 nor is it anywhere in their Press Releases?
  • Reply 105 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nick Starr View Post

Where on earth do you get the September 8th date from? There is no mention of this date on Apple's website for iOS 4.1 nor is it anywhere in their Press Releases?

Assuming you're referring to the release date of iOS 4.1...

Steve announced it at the press conference/intro event (Sept. 1) and said it would be available in a week (7 days).

If my math skills are still intact, 1 + 7 = 8

Just my theory...
  • Reply 106 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by calfoto View Post

Assuming you're referring to the release date of iOS 4.1...

Steve announced it at the press conference/intro event (Sept. 1) and said it would be available in a week (7 days).

If my math skills are still intact, 1 + 7 = 8

Just my theory...

Steve said, "next week" not "in a week"
  • Reply 107 of 111
    Useful in some situations. BUT WOULDN'T Having a better camera do the same thing??
  • Reply 108 of 111
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

Useful in some situations. BUT WOULDN'T Having a better camera do the same thing??

It depends. iPhone 4's sensor has pretty decent dynamic range, there are better sensors in bigger phones, make sure you get one with a backlit sensor bigger than 1/2.5". Another thing is, most people don't carry around a separate camera all the time, having it in something you do carry everywhere lets you get better shots than you would otherwise have gotten without this feature.
  • Reply 109 of 111
    You know, it's the last line of this article that bothers me...

"That's on a phone," Jobs quipped after the title was shown off. "That's pretty remarkable.

I'm not saying that this isn't remarkable, but I'd really like to see some enthusiasm or more 'outside the box' development. For three years+ now, Apple has been phone-centric in the public eye. Yes, what the iPhones can do is truly remarkable considering where mobile technology was 3-4 years ago. But that was 3-4 years ago, now we have devices that are competing very well with the iPhone. We were surprised by the iPhone, but since then has anything truly been surprising with it. We get a yearly hardware/software refresh that increases performance and features respectively, but nothing truly 'new'. Even the iPad, as new as it is, is just a new form-factor for an iPodTouch/iPhone that doesn't make phone calls.

I hope that Apple has something coming down the line that will truly surprise us, and continue the great trend of revolutionizing an industry. Some folks are getting a chance to do that right now, just take a look at www.plexapp.com, and their announcement about LG Electronics.

-Trick
  • Reply 110 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

There actually some tweaks to the A2DP (bluetooth stereo) profile that I've been waiting for.

yes they have!! with 4.1 I can now skip ahead or back a song, activate voice commands, volume and pause/play. But even better is the sound quality has improved (according to 2 friends I have called using my bluetooth headset).
  • Reply 111 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by striker_kk View Post

Well, anything on iPhone 3G performance on iOS 4.1?

I asked the same question in another thread and got excoriated by hysterical fanboys. Apparently, if you watch the keynote, Steve does mention that 4.1 will improve performance for 3G iPhones. However, if you read any of the Apple TV stories published here on AI, there's no mention of this, which is why I asked the question myself.