Apple posts iPad iOS 4.2 "Coming Soon" page

Comments

• Reply 61 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

You said this out loud. You're losing your touch Blacky.

Yeah I sure did say it out loud and you should thank me for it. At least I have the guts to say "the emperor has no clothes." Don't be a Jobs drone. Think for yourself. The iPad is not a magical perfect device. It needs improvement and if we don't speak out it will never get it. Join me!
  • Reply 62 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by -AG- View Post

Actually if you want to get technical, NO they didnt. They changed the 13" to the macbook PRO. So in reality they discontinued the 13" alu unibody "macbook"

Stop making excuses for Apple when they blunder. Getting rid of firewire was a mistake made by Steve Jobs. He screwed up. That's why he put it back on.

Next year when the new iPhone 5 comes out with the antenna on the inside, you will have similar proof that Steve Jobs is a screw up. Wait and see.
  • Reply 63 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

You wouldn't need wireless printing if the iPad had a USB port.

Gotta love Apple. Leave a key feature off of a device and then make a big deal when they give it to you months later. Reminds me of when they left the mail app off of the first iPod touch and then charged me ten bucks to download it months later.

Who wants to hold and iPad with a cord attached? Wireless is the way to go. Leave it to Blackintosh to talk negative about Apple ... AGAIN! Idiot.
  • Reply 64 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

Easy is irrelevant. Basic and necessary are the correct criteria.

If this stuff was easy, everybody would have great devices. If putting basic functionality into a device is not easy for Apple, then they should get better friggin engineers; don't just leave out basic functionality!

Easy is irrelevant. Necessary is much more important as a decision factor.

Why does the entire Micrsoft Geek world act like sheep running before the wolfpack?

Apple is but a mere fraction of the MS universe, but the MS apologists (like Newtron, or better still columnist/blogger/Windows experts like Paul Thurrott) go out of their way to condemn each new or updated device Apple offers to the public. What breeds that fear and loathing other than an underlying paranoia and knowledge that your mantra may be inferior to that of the other guy.

I've been (and still am) a MS slave since DOS 2.1 and Windows 386, so I won't take any more lectures like those being dished out here. I only own two Apple devices - an iPhone and iPad, and both are better than any similar MS device - period. Let's look at just two of your comments above:

"...don't just leave out basic functionality." - Then why have your idols at Microsoft left cut/copy/past OUT of the Windows Phone 7 first release?

"Easy is irrelevant." If so, why has over ten years of MS development of Tablet PC functionality been an abysmal failure compared to four months of iPad?

The answer to these, and almost EVERY question/criticism you have raised in this series of comments , is that Microsoft's shotgun approach to creating operating systems and software that can do everything from baiting the hook to delivering the can of tuna to the store shelf is outdated, outmoded, and IRRELEVANT (to appropriate your term of art). Both iOS and Android are pointing the way towards smaller, more precise Apps that can be assembled to accomplish what you want from your device (in other words, leave it to the user and developer).

Hardware producers, like Apple, are offering up limited feature first run devices not to keep the Newtrons of the world from having every possible feature their hearts desire, but to fit a specific design profile they have in mind. No USB or standard video out (including lack of HDMI) I'm sure help contribute to a < 1/2" thick, 10 hour running device. The iPad is routinely given "faint praise" by the MS universe of reviewers as a "content consumption device" when these same folks have never added less than $25 worth of software to expand it to netbook class quality (DocToGo; GoodReader; Dropbox; FileBrowser).

Newtron - I realize I am speaking to a brick wall here, but try expanding your horizon just a little bit and seeing that the Swiss Army knife approach is no longer relevant to computer use. In fact, where we are headed is to a user experience where you don't have to think about "using a computer" but just "computing" as a way of life. Sure, it will take the power out of our hands as geeks and part of the LCG (local computer god) community, but for the vast majority of folks they won't have to think about how to use a computer, but how to communicate or get their job done, as the computer becomes another tool in their kit and not a separate device. I'm sure you're not old enough to have experienced the days when a single color TV in a home was a neighborhood event and everyone had to come together to watch Bonanza of Disney in color. Now a TV is ubiquitous...and that's what iOS and Android are leading the way to for the majority of users.
  • Reply 65 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

actually you're entirely wrong.

Re. Firewire - I repeat my point. Fw800 was available on different models and 800 to 400 cables easily available and inexpensive. You make no point.

If you don't like a device, or it doesn't do all that you would like, don't buy it. Don't stamp your feet like a child.

Actually I'm entirely right.

Your comment about firewire is...well, I don't know what it is because I don't know what the hell you said. I own a 13 inch MacBook that has no firewire port. Hence my comment about firewire is about as right as you can get. It was wrong for Apple to leave it off, just as it was wrong for Apple to leave USB out of the iPad.

And finally the AI forum poster classic response. You disagree with me and since you can win with an argument of logic, you tell me to shop somewhere else. Ever consider going in the PR department? You comment ranks right up there with Master Jobs's famous "don't hold it that way." And we all know how well that went over.
  • Reply 66 of 109
    Wired printing for an iPad is kind of a "huh?" feature. The iPad is a mobile device but there really aren't any mobile printers that anyone would lug along with the iPad. I'm not saying there's no such thing as a mobile printer but if you're hauling that thing around then you're probably bringing a full-blown laptop anyway. It sounds like the connection kit option will work in some cases where people have an iPad and need to plug into some else's printer for a reason.

The wireless option is an interesting one... glad someone brought up the question of how it would work. I don't see it being viable as needing to latch onto another computer with printer sharing enabled. The whole printer universe is moving toward wireless (my printer is wireless) and so some kind of driver system for direct wireless connections will be needed. Probably what has held it up to this point.
  • Reply 67 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by storneo View Post

Who wants to hold and iPad with a cord attached? Wireless is the way to go. Leave it to Blackintosh to talk negative about Apple ... AGAIN! Idiot.

Oh oh. Name calling is a violation of the terms of agreement here. I'm afraid I will have to report you to the moderator. You shall be BANNED!

As far as who wants to hold an iPad, you have to since the screen can't hold itself up like a real laptop. You mention wireless. What's one of the points of being wireless? To keep your hands free. And Apple designs a device that you have to constantly hold in your hand.

Another reason why the iPad is a magical failure.
  • Reply 68 of 109
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

If it's part of the system preferences then it's system-wide.

Settings.
  • Reply 69 of 109
    Quote:

Oh oh. Name calling is a violation of the terms of agreement here. I'm afraid I will have to report you to the moderator. You shall be BANNED!

You must have been that pimple faced, nerdy kid on the playground who ran to the teachers every time someone did something that you felt was wrong. Look, I know you got your ass kicked multiple times and you never got laid. But have to let it go and move on with your life. Time to step up and be a man! You don't want to die a virgin, do you?
  • Reply 70 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Another thread on the verge of being hijacked......

Sir, that ship has sailed already.

On topic, I'm thrilled with the printing and AirPlay features. AirPlay with Apple TV is really a phenomenal combination.
  • Reply 71 of 109
    Quote:

You wouldn't need wireless printing if the iPad had a USB port.

The iPad needs a USB port like my MacBook needs a floppy disk.

I've been printing wirelessly since the AirPort Extreme became available. The advantage is that you can print to any printer from any device anywhere. Once you go wireless, the need to plug in a cable just to print something gets old fast.
  • Reply 72 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bcs123 View Post

You are obnoxious. I refuse to argue with you.

You refuse to argue because you know I'm right and I'll eat you up.

Quote:

Get a grip on reality. Steve jobs is well within his rights to decide certain technologies are not relevant in his products. Send him an email to request those things or don't buy his products.

Stop defending Jobs. If he screws up admit it. Telling people "don't buy his products" does not make Apple right. It doesn't make YOU right either.

Quote:

It's very simple. But why mock the people who like the products and have no need for a stupid USB port on their iPad. If it was there, I would never once have had need for it.

You are not the only customer in the whole world. There are others. It's very simple.

Quote:

Plus, you mock apple for introducing new and helpful features as if every feature in your little brain should have been there from the get go.

Apple used to be a company that succeeded by innovation while others just copied and then puffed out their chest and said, "look what we created!" Apple's product strategy of late has changed. Now they release a crippled product and over the years add features that should have been there from the get go. Why? To get you to buy the same damned thing over and over.

iPad: No USB, no flash, no camera, no face time

iPhone: No 3G, no GPS, no multi tasking, no video

iPod: just music, then music and pictures, then music and pictures and video

Do you see it now? Good. Glad to have you back. Coffee??
  • Reply 73 of 109
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

Not entirely. You can wireless print from a computer now if it is hooked up to another Mac or router. I'm sure it uses some variant of Bonjour.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eye Forget View Post

Perhaps you should consider those of us who actually take our ipads away from the sofa and travel with it. It's a complete pain to print when you can't configure a network.

Bonjour is amazing. And I do work away from the sofa. I took my netbook in to work as soon as I wiped the hard drive and installed OS X on it. Once I was on the office wireless network, the first time I hit command-P, the print dialog came up with the big HP copier/scanner/printer selected. No drivers needed. I didn't even have to search for the printer. Bonjour took care of it without my intervention. I printed immediately and have been ever since, everything from PDFs to Pages documents to Numbers spreadsheets. iPad printing doesn't need to be any more complicated than this.
  • Reply 74 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by storneo View Post

You must have been that pimple faced, nerdy kid on the playground who ran to the teachers every time someone did something that you felt was wrong. Look, I know you got your ass kicked multiple times and you never got laid. But have to let it go and move on with your life. Time to step up and be a man! You don't want to die a virgin, do you?

This post is a personal attack and off topic. I shall report you again. You shall be BANNED! BANNED!!

And for your information, I have not had a single pimple since I got laid.
  • Reply 75 of 109
    What I see when I think about the iPad with iOS 4.2, and the retina display, two cameras, and facetime is a amazing device that will have such a huge lead, it will take years for anyone to catch up.
  • Reply 76 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by john galt View Post

The iPad needs a USB port like my MacBook needs a floppy disk.

I've been printing wirelessly since the AirPort Extreme became available. The advantage is that you can print to any printer from any device anywhere. Once you go wireless, the need to plug in a cable just to print something gets old fast.

You are comparing USB to the floppy disc? I think you are getting ahead of yourself. On the other hand this may be the same kind of "forward thinking" that caused Apple to leave USB 3 off of the iMac.

Why not take this a step further in typical AI fashion. Printing? Who needs to print? I haven't printed anything in years!! Printing is so last century! Printing is stupid! I don't need to print so I don't think ANYBODY needs to print!

Printing is evil, like flash and USB and Consumer reports!

Jeez, now I sound like everybody else here.
  • Reply 77 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nudist View Post

Any guesses at how this will work in practice?

I don't know, but I use Apple's Bonjour Print Services when I have to print from my Windows machines. It just works, whereas adding a printer using the standard Windows interface is a time-consuming hassle. I surmise this will be similar.

Quote:

Will Apple be implementing this as a web service?

I doubt it. That would be more of a hassle.
  • Reply 78 of 109
    Quote:

You are comparing USB to the floppy disc? I think you are getting ahead of yourself. On the other hand this may be the same kind of "forward thinking" that caused Apple to leave USB 3 off of the iMac.

Why not take this a step further in typical AI fashion. Printing? Who needs to print? I haven't printed anything in years!! Printing is so last century! Printing is stupid! I don't need to print so I don't think ANYBODY needs to print!

Printing is evil, like flash and USB and Consumer reports!

Jeez, now I sound like everybody else here.

• Reply 79 of 109
    No seperate accounts = fail.

What's that honey? You want to check your mail? Sorry the mail app is only configured for my account...
  • Reply 80 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pondosinatra View Post

No seperate accounts = fail.

What's that honey? You want to check your mail? Sorry the mail app is only configured for my account...

I have multiple email accounts on my phone.