Ping, Apple's music social network, already plagued with spammers

Comments

• Reply 61 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

Nope, he doesn't - Apple have made no public statement on the matter.

"the website demanded "onerous terms" from the iTunes maker, Chief Executive Steve Jobs said."

Did he say it in private? Its all over the news, fer chrissakes.
  • Reply 62 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

Developing efficient spam filtering, aside from being a bandaid on a gaping wound rather than a cure, is even more difficult to implement.

Seemingly, you think it is too difficult for Apple to implement.

If they can do cut and paste in only three years, this shouldn't be beyond their abilities.
  • Reply 63 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

"the website demanded "onerous terms" from the iTunes maker, Chief Executive Steve Jobs said."

What, exactly, do you think 'onerous' means? Let's translate it to, "They made this process more burdensome* than we were prepared to deal with at this time."

*Correction. See my reply below.
  • Reply 64 of 140
    Quote:

If they can do cut and paste in only three years, this shouldn't be beyond their abilities.

You smell like a troll.

I think it is an incredibly difficult process to implement, but if anyone can do it, it is Apple. They've got the talent, resources, and determination to achieve successes other companies cannot and if they feel Ping is worth that battle, they'll take it up.

As for copy and paste, I'll take a top-of-class solution to something so important a little bit late over a hacked-together frustrating solution kicked out the door just to add a feature on a bullet-point list. Thanks.
  • Reply 65 of 140
    Quote:

And my point is you're criticising the unknown as fact. There is spam prevention in place -

From the article you are commenting upon:

"Ping does not feature spam or URL filtering, ".
  • Reply 66 of 140
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:

It went from "was reported to have said" to "steve jobs said"

There has been no public statement, it's the media being the media.
  • Reply 67 of 140
    Quote:

What, exactly, do you think 'onerous' means? Let's translate it to, "They made this process more complicated than we were prepared to deal with at this time."

It is a pejorative term. Get real. Look in a dictionary. Here's some synonyms:

oppressive

troublesome

crushing

excessive

galling

grievous

grinding

irksome

painful
  • Reply 68 of 140
    Quote:

It went from "was reported to have said" to "steve jobs said"

There has been no public statement, it's the media being the media.

I'm just going by what AI said. You might not be so trusting of them, but I haven't seen them get facts wrong very often, except for misstatements.

I believe that Steve Jobs said exactly what AI reported him as saying.
  • Reply 69 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

Apple has always had their head in their butt when it comes to security. They have gotten away with this by being a niche market. One day they are going to get bitten so badly it's gonna really hurt.

But this is what you get when you can't partner with existing services and you have such a huge ego you feel you can do everything better yourself. Right Steve?

Thanks for the random illogical bullsh*t. Do you ever have any real idea what you're talking about? It must be fun to just spout nonsense without a care in the world.

I understand though, it's so much harder to actually think about stuff.
  • Reply 70 of 140
    Quote:

That is supposition by Sophos, it is not fact. Learn to filter the FUD from actual information - I don't blame you, I blame the media.
  • Reply 71 of 140
    Quote:

I'm just going by what AI said. You might not be so trusting of them, but I haven't seen them get facts wrong very often, except for misstatements.

AI are quoting an article, they are not stating anything themselves...
  • Reply 72 of 140
    Quote:

What, exactly, do you think 'onerous' means? Let's translate it to, "They made this process more complicated than we were prepared to deal with at this time."

"Onerous" means "burdensome" not "complicated."
  • Reply 73 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by old-wiz View Post

Just what we need, another opportunity for spammers.

I haven't even upgraded to iTunes 10, but I'm just hoping you can avoid even having Ping.

iTunes 10 is nice. You have to specifically choose to turn on Ping, so no worries there. My finger is on the trigger, I think I'll let Apple sort out them teething problems first. Apple has huge experience moderating the discussion forums and iTunes reviews and ratings. Give Apple a chance.

Or, I'm just an Apple apologist and clearly Apple is doomed..!!
  • Reply 74 of 140
    msfmsf Posts: 20member
    Flies like poop
  • Reply 75 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

"Onerous" means "burdensome" not "complicated."

I understand that and I may have been overly loose with my translation. From the angle of a software platform I take those statements to relate to burdensome technical implementation (though I suppose that may not have been the case), thus complicated. In retrospect that wouldn't apply if Steve Job's disapproval had nothing to do with technical feasibility (e.g. simple unreasonable demands, such as payment).

Quote:

oppressive

troublesome

crushing

excessive

galling

grievous

grinding

irksome

painful

I disagree that 'onerous' must be taken as a pejorative term.

Perhaps Steve Jobs was actually being sincere?

Which is to say, using the term as defined.
  • Reply 76 of 140
    Quote:

I take it you've never launched a service like this?

Apple has created an open communication medium which is bound to receive a lot of attention so this is going to be an uphill battle for them. As an experienced web developer I do not envy them the task of tackling this issue. I will guess at one thing, though: they probably did underestimate this. But they've definitely got the resources and motivation to explore solutions.

Apple was probably too optimistic and will implement solutions as needed. This is not blind worship, just common sense.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

What a shame. This could have been a great tool to let musicians get control of their business, and its being ruined by vandals right out of the box.

Don't worry, Ping is destined to be as big for music and movies as Facebook is. Apple is never perfect. But they strive for it.

Quote:

oppressive

troublesome

crushing

excessive

galling

grievous

grinding

irksome

painful

Onerous to me suggests overwhelmingly stifling at worst, pedantic at best. Ah, playing petite perfunctorily prejudices perhaps placating popular parsimonies...
  • Reply 77 of 140
    So how are spammers able to get into Ping? With their real names, iTunes accounts, and credit card numbers? Or, are those silly constraints for the rest of us?

C'mon Apple. This is stupid.
  • Reply 78 of 140
    Ping just might be the most useless product that Apple has ever introduced. I tried it out. I will agree that a social network needs "critical mass" before success really comes in. But I see absolutely no purpose to this waste of hard drive space.
  • Reply 79 of 140
    Quote:

That is supposition by Sophos, it is not fact. Learn to filter the FUD from actual information - I don't blame you, I blame the media.

Everything by SOPHOS is in quotes.

The fact I repeated was not a quote.
  • Reply 80 of 140
    For those who might have missed the ramblings of our two resident misanthropes, I am providing all their postings in this thread so far in one place, for your convenient viewing and troll-feeding.

For those of you ticked off, you know now how some of us feel...... \

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

Apple has always had their head in their butt when it comes to security. They have gotten away with this by being a niche market. One day they are going to get bitten so badly it's gonna really hurt.

But this is what you get when you can't partner with existing services and you have such a huge ego you feel you can do everything better yourself. Right Steve?

Quote:

This sort of thing seems to be getting more and more common with Apple. They seem to announce their stuff long before any partners have signed up. Newspapers and magazines are another example. We heard all about how every magazine would be available and how Apple was going to change the whole industry, but the reality is VERY different.

Now Apple announces Facebook functionality before any deal is cut, while at the same time trying to use a public statment by the CEO to vilify Facebook and make them into some sort of greedy bad guys. That sort of negotiation tactic is nasty and amateurish.

This sort of sleazy tactic is far beneath Apple.

Quote:

But computer software IS dealt with proactively to protect users against hackers. Security is baked-in, from the ground up.

Or not.

Quote:

Losing Google as a partner is likely to hurt them badly in the end. Apple needs search. They got nothing now. They can't do it by themselves, given that they have been trying for years and have yet to implement anything reasonable even in the App Store.

Crawling to Microsoft for Bing is pathetic.

Quote:

So you are saying that the lack of browser accessibility is a feature?

Wow.

Quote:

Seemingly, they approached Facebook with an unacceptable offer. Steve already said that Apple was unwilling to pay enough to inspire Facebook to do the deal.

Quote:

Recent events suggest otherwise.

Quote:

Are spammers posting to public message boards a "new hack"?

Did Apple "do all you can do pro-actively before release"?

Quote:

Cult of Mac had this to say about how "Apple never announce Facebook functionality":

"On the one hand, we have the above screenshot, taken from Apple?s own Ping web page just this morning.

It clearly says you can connect Ping to Facebook. But. You can?t."

Here's another reporter's take:

"I'd heard you could find your Facebook friends with Ping and thought that would turn up a huge well of smart music fans to follow. But last night Facebook pulled the plug on Apple's interface between Ping and Facebook. Facebook says that Ping could cause "site instability" and "infrastructure" problems. "

Steve now vilifies Facebook publicly. That is not a nice way to do business. You and I can disagree on that, its OK.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

oppressive

troublesome

crushing

excessive

galling

grievous

grinding

irksome

painful

Quote: