Apple posts iPad iOS 4.2 "Coming Soon" page

Comments

• Reply 81 of 109
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bcs123 View Post

I have multiple email accounts on my phone.

Same here. About 20 on my iPad and 35 on my Mac, mostly IMAP and a few older POP3 ones. Sounds like pondosinatra is criticizing iOS without actually having seen or tried it.
  • Reply 82 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pondosinatra View Post

No seperate accounts = fail.

What's that honey? You want to check your mail? Sorry the mail app is only configured for my account...

Umm, may I suggest configuring it for additional accounts? There may be a limit to the number of accounts you may have, but it's ≠ 1
  • Reply 83 of 109
    stuffestuffe Posts: 394member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

Actually I'm entirely right.

Your comment about firewire is...well, I don't know what it is because I don't know what the hell you said. I own a 13 inch MacBook that has no firewire port. Hence my comment about firewire is about as right as you can get. It was wrong for Apple to leave it off, just as it was wrong for Apple to leave USB out of the iPad.

You are entitled to your own opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts. Nor are you entitled to change your tune and expect not to get call on it. Here's what you actually said:

"Getting rid of firewire was a mistake made by Steve Jobs. He screwed up. That's why he put it back on."

But they didn't "get rid of it" at all did they? Just removed it from 1 model in the entire range of macbooks.

And if this was a mistake and a terrible thing to do that upsets you so badly you use it as exhibit a) in why Apple are doing everything wrong, why did you buy one anyway? Or tell me, do you, you know, not actually need it after all...?
  • Reply 84 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by john galt View Post

Umm, may I suggest configuring it for additional accounts? There may be a limit to the number of accounts you may have, but it's ≠ 1

Ya you can add additional mail accounts, Yahoo, Google etc. But what about when two people have a Shaw account which uses the same POP3 server?
  • Reply 85 of 109
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:

Ya you can add additional mail accounts, Yahoo, Google etc. But what about when two people have a Shaw account which uses the same POP3 server?

I don't know how things work in your neck of the Internet woods, but around here, accounts are identified by user names, not POP3 servers. I have 5 accounts on the same Roadrunner server on my iPad.
  • Reply 86 of 109
    Quote:

... But what about when two people have a Shaw account which uses the same POP3 server?

Sorry I can't walk you through the steps off the top of my head pondosinatra, but the same POP server isn't relevant. Email accounts are distinguished from one another on the server their your login names and passwords. As such it's likely there are thousands of people using your same POP3 server.

POP3 is not designed to support more than one connection at a time. Perhaps that's the problem you're encountering.

The following may be helpful: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2621

This isn't a user support forum; you'll get more intelligent help on Apple's support website.
  • Reply 87 of 109
    Quote:

Reminds me of when they left the mail app off of the first iPod touch and then charged me ten bucks to download it months later.

And did you pay it?
  • Reply 88 of 109
    November is too late
  • Reply 89 of 109
    Quote:

As long as you're not trying to check both simultaneously from the same device, which would be impressive, then that shouldn't be a problem. Make your wife an account on your phone. Problem solved. That's one 'basic feature' that has been around since launch. I have several accounts for work on 1 phone that use the same server. Never had a problem.
  • Reply 90 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bcs123 View Post

As long as you're not trying to check both simultaneously from the same device, which would be impressive, then that shouldn't be a problem. Make your wife an account on your phone. Problem solved. That's one 'basic feature' that has been around since launch. I have several accounts for work on 1 phone that use the same server. Never had a problem.

Hmmm I'll give it a shot tonight and see if I can get it to work (and I'm talking about the iPad, not iPhone btw).
  • Reply 91 of 109
    As much as I want a new iPad I am going to wait for 2nd gen to come out, where we will see many new features. I'm glad Apple worked out a way to print through a simple software update, but I don't know why the ability to print was not included in the original release. Nice device for college students to read texts without having to carry 40 to 50 lbs of books all day.
  • Reply 92 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

Easy is irrelevant. Basic and necessary are the correct criteria.

If this stuff was easy, everybody would have great devices. If putting basic functionality into a device is not easy for Apple, then they should get better friggin engineers; don't just leave out basic functionality!

Easy is irrelevant. Necessary is much more important as a decision factor.

Thank you for enlightening us-- oh knower of all truths!

I really don't understand how we were able to muddle through all these years until you joined the AI forums a mere 7 days ago-- to purvey your wisdom and sagacity!

Wouldst thou deign post a portrait of yourself, so we can show you the reverence that you deserve.

• Reply 93 of 109
    pwjpwj Posts: 19member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rav Cook View Post

What I see when I think about the iPad with iOS 4.2, and the retina display, two cameras, and facetime is a amazing device that will have such a huge lead, it will take years for anyone to catch up.

The iPad won't be getting a "retina display" any time soon. WIth the iPhone it was doable because its new resolution (960x640) is well within the capabilities of the hardware (for comparison, many new Android models output 800x480 or marginally higher)

With the iPad, if you were to do the same thing, you'd get a resolution of 2048x1536. My Macbook Pro is currently outputting to its 1280x800 monitor and a 1920x1080 attached monitor (which is a combined resolution smaller than a hypothetical "retina" iPad), and it struggles with the Exposé animations.

iPad won't be getting such a resolution bump any time soon unless Apple implements a midway resolution that screws with existing iPad apps

As for the other listed improvements, I'm surprised that more of them didn't already exist in iOS. I don't have that much experience / time with iOS devices (I have a 32GB 3rd generation Touch that I got on the cheap with my notebook), but I am somewhat surprised that you can't do text searches on webpages.

I'm very curious to see how Apple will implement printing....unless the iPad talks directly to the printer (which seems unlikely since you'd need to have drivers), I wouldn't be surprised if Apple took the same route as Google is with its Chrome OS
  • Reply 94 of 109
    Jobs did say HDR is coming to iPad?

http://www.ankleskater.com/iphotography
  • Reply 95 of 109
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

If you don't like a poster, or he doesn't say all that you would like, don't read his posts. Don't stamp your feet like a child.

Sheesh.

He's not a poster he is a troll.
  • Reply 96 of 109
    I'm going to make this quick because it's 9pm where I am and US Open tennis is starting in a few hours, plus I've got some 99c Lost Season6 HD episodes to watch... That is, I have other things to do than sit and troll AI Forums all day long...

Quote:

As far as who wants to hold an iPad, you have to since the screen can't hold itself up like a real laptop.

There are many attractive and stylish cases and stands that do all kinds of things to help the usage. In fact, if you use the iPad in landscape mode a lot, like a laptop, the Apple case folds to allow this, it's quite useable. There are other foldy-type cases from third parties that will ease your transition into the tablet world.

Quote:

You mention wireless. What's one of the points of being wireless? To keep your hands free. And Apple designs a device that you have to constantly hold in your hand.

See above. Also, one of the points of being wireless is, FFS you just grab the iPad and use it, there's no power cable, there's no USB this or that, it's more convenient. You have to constantly hold it in your hand? Well, damn, I didn't know there were laptops that floated in air? You want to use the iPad on a table or on your lap, use a case. Like I said, I recommend the Apple one, but that's only because I'm a blind deluded fanboi, right?

Quote:

Another reason why the iPad is a magical failure.

To this, sir, I truly have nothing to respond with. You clearly have high standards in what is considered a success. Reinventing an industry and selling out more devices than you can physically make while the rest of the world still wants it... is a failure in your eyes, I guess.
  • Reply 97 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Jobs did say HDR is coming to iPad?

http://www.ankleskater.com/iphotography

For when the next iPad model has a camera, that's what I postulate. Let's face it. A front-facing FaceTime camera that also takes pictures is a no-brainer to be put in the next iPad.
  • Reply 98 of 109
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

He's not a poster he is a troll.

Between old Blacky and his new doppelganger, Newtron, about 97 replies were directed at fending off their absurdities, out of 98 total posts. I counted the multiple quote-replies within a single post; that explains the alarming proportion. These are counted because they also steal our attention and WASTE OUR TIME AND GOOD WILL.

This thread started out as some good news, and there are some real issues we could have been discussing, such as HDR and camera(s) for the iPad. Instead we get provocations from people who PRETEND not to 'get' the tailored -- not limited -- functionality of the most useful portable web computer ever, totally surprising in all the ways and places you can use it. Only an ungracious techno-pervert would, if sincere, call it 'crippled.' Such people exist, but that's not who we're dealing with here.

It will please old Blackguard that I find myself arguing with his pretend idiocies long after I quit reading, while driving to work, etc. It will please him because he sees it as his job (or is actually paid) to poison this forum and bum us all out. And now Newtron has signed on. No amount of reasoning, insulting or shaming will reach these guys. It's their job, self-appointed or otherwise.

When they post, I suggest we only answer 'IGNORE' so that others will be less likely to quote and respond, which is what drives the thread into the ditch. Any other suggestions welcome.
  • Reply 99 of 109
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Between old Blacky and his new doppelganger, Newtron, about 97 replies were directed at fending off their absurdities, out of 98 total posts.

Sorry, change that to 'about 72' out of the 98. I just looked at my (rather rough) scorecard again.
  • Reply 100 of 109
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Sorry, change that to 'about 72' out of the 98. I just looked at my (rather rough) scorecard again.

It's been a long weekend of trolling. I do wish we could get people to use the ignore function. When you do that, you can scroll through some of the threads from the last few days and notice that they're at least 50% trolling bullshit and another 20-30% angry rebuttals.

Which means some reasonably interesting topics are getting completely swamped out, with no real discussion possible. Shame.