Google planning music store to take on Apple

Comments

• Reply 61 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

And exactly what did Apple "invent"? There were mp3 players way before the iPod and online music stores before iTunes. Integrating the two in a nice package was all they did. Competition is almost always good. Choice as a consumer is all I ask for. Its scary when one person or company has too much market share in a certain industry.

i can't think of anything apple 'invented', i can think of a lot of things they took and made better. apple has done amazing things, but, they all did not spring directly from the mind of SJ.
  • Reply 62 of 89
    Sincerely disappointed. I had a lot of respect for Google as a company but their business model, as of late, seems to be the latest emulation of Apple. Now, they're going to be able to make some good products, from the tinker-friendly piecemeal approach many techies love, and Apple users will benefit in the end in the form of increased competition, but really? Jobs wasn't understating Google's intention in the slightest when he said they were out to kill the iPhone.
  • Reply 63 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

Apple should be VERY worried.

They have no good search, which makes their stores difficult to use. Google will make it VERY easy to find stuff.

Apple needs to finally get half-decent seach capabilities.

Like they've done with their Android Market?

If they integrate the service with Android phones it will see some success there, but it is going to have trouble competing with iTunes on the desktop market. I personally prefer to use Amazon and buy all my music from them, but that's because I'm a tech geek who's familiar with all these platforms. I don't see Google toppling the iTunes empire anytime soon and they've got nothing on Apple in terms of accessibility, branding, and marketing (which is saying a lot—Google's no pushover relative to other companies in areas of this sort).
  • Reply 64 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Bash Google all you like for nipping at the heels of Apple in the hardware space. Let Apple try to compete with Google in ads. Google Analytics rules as does search. Apple knows where their strengths are and it isn't in going head to head with Google. They need to chill on the anti-Google theme or they will be crushed. They should seriously be looking at a strategy of no matter where your media comes from, store it in iTunes for convenient access to your iDevices

I agree that Apple needs to accept what happened with Google and move on -- an occasional dig, by SJ may indicate that this has happened.

As to using iTunes for a repository for your content -- they already support that! It's called drag and drop! Admittedly, Apple could do a better job of promoting all the "good things" that iTunes provides for your content wherever it comes from... then point out the advantages of the iTunes - iTms hookup.

• Reply 65 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

Get real homey! Google just gives a large arena for advertisers to sell their sh**. Period. Google without their ads is nothing!!!!!!!!

Hardware?Child please. Google doesn't want to deal with hardware and all its problems. like MS they just want to do the software. That is easy! Apple does the software and the hardware. A far more complex task Google ain't even trying to emulate.

Brin and Page are two well coifed little birds sitting on 23 billion each on nothing but an expansive ad based business that has peaked. And all these Google acquisitions are just a rouse to make to puff up their stock price. God knows how many pension funds are heavily invested in Google. SMH!

And as far as the music goes, Google won't be challenging Itunes, but pimping for the music industry because they are the ones giving Apple and Google the RIGHT to sell their intellectual property.

And if you apply the competition theology to music than the more competition you have the more cheaper the product. Ok, then that means a song on Google will fetch about .000001 cents per down load!

CHAPTER 11 RIGHT THROUGH THAT DOOR(INSERT NAME OF MUSIC COMPANY).

And another thing we should clarify, the Android phone business isn't a single company but a coalition of competing hardware makers.

So I hate it when you misinformed trolls pit Apple Against Android. Apple has its own OS and its own media ecosystem.

As for the Android partners they have all dropped to the bottom of a sludge filled barrel!

Apple is the only cell phone maker with the pedigree that allows it to release just ONE phone a year and still be profitable. Everyone else is desperate!!!!!!

Six to 10 new phones every month just to keep up with the other 10,000 celly makers using the same freaking mobile OS. SICK!!

How many Android phones on ebay? Millions. And they will eventually suck the sells from new Android phone sells no matter how candy colored Googly makes their Mobile OS' UI.

That is my 2 cents!

I usually don't make a habit of cosigning on someone else's argument, but this is pretty good.
  • Reply 66 of 89
    Well they have half a chance where others have struggled due to the amount of HW running Android out there.

As Mr Jobs pointed out on Wednesday: "iPods are part of a great duet with iTunes". One simply needs the other.

Different scenario of course with Google and different handset makers. There's brand identity issue to overcome. If they can just convince all the Android handset owners out there that Google music store is the perfect place to seamlessly sync your Android handset then they stand a chance.

I guess competition is good, although there's no way they're getting my credit card details. I just don't trust em!
  • Reply 67 of 89
    Quote:

And exactly what did Apple "invent"? There were mp3 players way before the iPod and online music stores before iTunes.

True but they were all pants!! Apple's "art" has always been taking poor designs and making them better. You'd usually associate Apple with the word "reinvented" as opposed to "invented. It's in their DNA.
  • Reply 68 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Google Analytics rules as does search.

Ask any SEO/SEM worth their salt and you'll get a completely different opinion.
  • Reply 69 of 89
    I like Apple as much as anyone (typing this on my iPhone), but why wouldn't Google music work? They have millions of built in customers with Android phones, many of which hate Apple one reason they have an Android phone. These people will be happy to have a built in and integrated music and video store to make purchases instead of iTunes or Amazon mp3. You can mock and hate Google all you want, but to me this makes sense and will do well. Apple has had tech and marketing failures too (Cube, 3 gen shuffle, eWorld, Apple TV is niche at best, etc), every company fails at some and wins at others.

I have no animosity towards Google - use Google search daily, Picasa is useful, have two Gmail accts, and may use their Skype like service if they make an app for it that can be used on a phone instead of a computer. Folks, you can use and like more than one company at a time. You're not a trader to Apple if you do.
  • Reply 70 of 89
    Accidentally submitted the above post twice, and I don't know how to delete post, so I editing this one to take up less space. Sorry for the error.
  • Reply 71 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr Underhill View Post

Ask any SEO/SEM worth their salt and you'll get a completely different opinion.

What would their opinion be? (Sincerely curious). Google Analytics is actually an excellent tool for nearly everything it is intended to do, and it absolutely is superior to any external service which claims to tell you about your website without active logging. And as many complaints as I have about Google's search engine, I can't think of any that are superior. Not that people should take too much advice from a self-professed 'SEO expert' anyway...
  • Reply 72 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

They have millions of built in customers with Android phones, many of which hate Apple one reason they have an Android phone.

I think that objectively, few people care about Apple one way or another. I's kind of like Maytag or Amana - they neither love them nor hate them.

Apple doesn't really register on most people's radar screen. No more than any other CE or appliance company.

Do regular people buy Sony TVs because they hate Panasonic? Do they buy Canon because they hate Nikon? WTF?

No. Most people don't become emotional, one way or the other, about chunks of metal and plastic.
  • Reply 73 of 89
    Quote:

Is this what passes for reasoned analysis around here?

No, it's a generalization but it does approximate to reality. The Android ecosystem is built around free - most of the apps are free, a lot of the key feature differential is around free stuff (playing "pirate" codecs, using Google free services, flash to play free games, etc.). Successful devs make much less on Android than on iOS (see the ATK dev story), partly due to scale but also due to the economic demographics. Apple's are unrelentingly high-end, Androids spans the spectrum from high to low with a predominance of cheap and BOGOF phone volumes. Android users may get as many apps but they spend less and expect more (high geek count).

It is not unreasonable to expect that a smaller proportion of the Android base will spend $s on music than in the iOS ecosystem.
  • Reply 74 of 89
    guch20guch20 Posts: 173member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ihxo View Post

Google's strategy.

Do whatever Apple's doing..... but with Ads.

And make a ton of money doing it, while convincing the public that they are the better product and turning Apple back into the marginalized company they were after Windows exploded onto the scene.

I hate the public.
  • Reply 75 of 89
    Quote:

I think that objectively, few people care about Apple one way or another. I's kind of like Maytag or Amana - they neither love them nor hate them.

Apple doesn't really register on most people's radar screen. No more than any other CE or appliance company.

Do regular people buy Sony TVs because they hate Panasonic? Do they buy Canon because they hate Nikon? WTF?

No. Most people don't become emotional, one way or the other, about chunks of metal and plastic.

You are right when it comes down to the total population, though Apple's significantly higher customer satisfaction rates, upsell rates (ipod to Mac, etc.) and significantly higher brand value than any other CE company would beg to differ when it comes to the gadget buying world.

But the great irony of your argument is that most Fandroids are at incredible pains to state that Apple has these legions of fanboys that guarantee success for Apple even though their stuff is obviously crap. Now you want your cake and eat it to say that Apple's sh@t stinks like everyone else's and there's nothing special about Apple and no rabid fanbase for Google to worry about. If anything (and just read Engadget or Giz to see), the hate-based purchases almost entirely come from Fandroids.

When it comes down to it, Apple is in a different league from other CE firms (though maybe not from Google) and its business performance proves that (faster growth, exponentially higher profits).
  • Reply 76 of 89
    guch20guch20 Posts: 173member
    Quote:

And exactly what did Apple "invent"? There were mp3 players way before the iPod and online music stores before iTunes. Integrating the two in a nice package was all they did. Competition is almost always good. Choice as a consumer is all I ask for. Its scary when one person or company has too much market share in a certain industry.

Apple pretty much didn't invent squat, but what they have done is change several industries. Their MP3 players, phones, tablet computers, and music store have changed the way people do business, and their products are copied by just about everyone (especially Google, which has become the new Microsoft as far as this goes).

Also, I agree it's scary when one person or company has too much market share or power, which is why I recently made a point of avoiding all Google products. Through their search, map, checkout, phone, and productivity programs, they know just about everything about everyone on the planet. They know your name and address, your friends' names and addresses, telephone numbers, where you've been, who you've called, and they have your credit card numbers, Social Security Number -- everything you've ever done online or any place you've ever visited with your Android phone is stored in their server. And they've already admitted to being willing to sell that information for the right price.
  • Reply 77 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guch20 View Post

And make a ton of money doing it, while convincing the public that they are the better product and turning Apple back into the marginalized company they were after Windows exploded onto the scene.

I hate the public.

True - what's not to like about hating the public? But Apple is still growing faster than Google and making more money and profit (almost the same profitability from a HW based company as from a pure software company). There is room for both to be successful.

I don't think that most people think that Google has a better product for much outside of search and YouTube. They don't carry that kind of brand equity (yet) nor have executed well enough in areas where there is real competition - they have been pwned by FaceBook and Apple and Ebay in their respective markets.
  • Reply 78 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guch20 View Post

I hate the public.

Get used to them. They are apple's new target customers.
  • Reply 79 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Capnbob View Post

You are right when it comes down to the total population, though Apple's significantly higher customer satisfaction rates, upsell rates (ipod to Mac, etc.) and significantly higher brand value than any other CE company would beg to differ when it comes to the gadget buying world.

But the great irony of your argument is that most Fandroids are at incredible pains to state that Apple has these legions of fanboys that guarantee success for Apple even though their stuff is obviously crap. Now you want your cake and eat it to say that Apple's sh@t stinks like everyone else's and there's nothing special about Apple and no rabid fanbase for Google to worry about. If anything (and just read Engadget or Giz to see), the hate-based purchases almost entirely come from Fandroids.

When it comes down to it, Apple is in a different league from other CE firms (though maybe not from Google) and its business performance proves that (faster growth, exponentially higher profits).

I still think most people don't become emotional, one way or the other, about chunks of metal and plastic.

Even enthusiasts. Altho I own both, I prefer my Canons to my Nikon. But I l neither love nor hate any camera brand.
  • Reply 80 of 89
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

I bet this stuff really gets old for Apple and company.

Google is doomed!

If I was a stock holder of this doomed company I would be concerned that 95% of the revenue is coming from a business that is now being replaced with Apps. Apps is the next big thing and Google does not have answer to it, "Search" is over duhh

Google the next Microsux! They stopped innovating years ago!