Apple reveals new cloud-centric Apple TV

1131415161719»

Comments

• Reply 361 of 378
    OK, now that the dust is beginning to settle (well, at least a little)

I have been struggling with this for some time now and perhaps the answer became a little clearer - at least for me.

I currently have a recent version of the AppleTV, connected to an 1080i HDTV (early adaptor habits die very hard) and I love it. Except:

1. I prefer to own content that I like, rather than rent over and over again

2. I am aware of the aTV Flash software product.

3. How much storage is enough or too much in that combo?

4. I own over 200+ DVD's and 50+ Blu-ray Discs and wouldn't mind having them stored locally on a 4TB RAID 1 configuration, meaning that I would only really have 2TB of redundant storage.

So which would be better and why:

1. My trusty AppleTV with aTV Flash and a RAID 1 attached?

2. A new MacMini with a RAID 1 attached?

3. Something else I am unaware of existing?

I do not want to start arguments about what is better or worse. I am looking for opinions on why the readers and posters here prefer one setup over another and why.

Thanks in advance.
  • Reply 362 of 378
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

On a lighter note, twice removed from Gruber:

You are aware that he is a fan of Blu-ray as well?
  • Reply 363 of 378
    Looks like only the US is getting the 99 cent episodes. They omitted them from the Apple TV page on all there international websites. Here in canada an episode of family guy is a whopping $3.49... yeah right... It would be cheaper on DVD. Less DRM too.

I'll stick with my blu-ray playing DIVX/MKV streaming PS3 thanks.
  • Reply 364 of 378
    Steve said they will offer something in more countries soon.

"Soon" is an interesting concept when discussing movie and TV companies. Apple's efforts in Japan have gone nowhere for years; I assume it's some company like Gaga Usen or that is effectively blocking them. Steve should be able to push Disney to do something... I hope.
  • Reply 365 of 378
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

Not that I don't agree with you, but it seems the new aTV isn't for you. I'd suggest picking up a current one while you still can. It'll cost you an extra 50 bucks (go figure), but its listed under the Clearance area.

There are also other options like the WDTV (Western Digital) that is built exactly for using a Hard Drive or USB stick.

Plus you can hac the heck out if them although I don't see people renting what is allteady free online. Makes no sense. Plus if course torrents.
  • Reply 366 of 378
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Avidfcp View Post

Plus you can hac the heck out if them although I don't see people renting what is allteady free online. Makes no sense. Plus if course torrents.

If it's running iOS, well its only a matter of time... wonder how much memory it has?
  • Reply 367 of 378
    So I am curious about the capabilities of the new Apple TV. I have heard it said that the new Apple TV is basically like airport express for both audio and video, which sounds really good. And I am wondering if they would be truly interchangeable with regard to my specific setup.

My Setup:

I have an airport extreme connected to my cable modem (in my home office) and then the airport express in my living room. The express is hooked up to my stereo/receiver over optical audio so I can stream my iTunes to my living room speakers. Then I have my XBox 360 connected to the ethernet port on the express for internet access. With no ethernet wiring in my house, I tried using the Xbox wireless adapter to get my xbox online but it didn't play nicely with my Airport Extreme. So using the express for an internet connection worked like a charm.

Now that I am considering this new Apple TV, I can't help but wonder if I will be able to connect the XBox to this device via ethernet to maintain internet access for my xbox. I am guessing that it probably won't work since the ATV doesn't appear to be a network extender or have router capabilities.

Any thoughts? I can't see having both an airport express and apple TV.
  • Reply 368 of 378
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Actually Netflix was not an app it was built into the software UI by Apple.

How do you know that? It could look seamless to us, but under the covers could be calling an iOS app. It is iOS underneath, so the potential is there.
  • Reply 369 of 378
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

I was thinking the same thing. Live Sports broadcasting is the only thing its missing.

I think AirPlay just closed the gap with Live Sports broadcasting quite a bit.
  • Reply 370 of 378
    I realize that this thread seems to be dominated by those who abhor the new Apple TV... But if there's anyone out there that also likes the concept, and ordered one (or hasn't yet)... Any speculation on when they might actually start shipping? All it ever says is "September."

At last check in my time zone it IS September. \
  • Reply 371 of 378
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

On a lighter note, twice removed from Gruber:

What a coincidence. The last movie I saw at home happened to be Shutter Island. On Blu-ray.
  • Reply 372 of 378
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjuchter View Post

I realize that this thread seems to be dominated by those who abhor the new Apple TV... But if there's anyone out there that also likes the concept, and ordered one (or hasn't yet)... Any speculation on when they might actually start shipping? All it ever says is "September."

At last check in my time zone it IS September. \

They announced at the keynote that it would be available in 4 weeks, so roughly at the end of September. They are probably keeping it a bit vague so they don't miss any self-imposed release dates. So, if you assume it will be available online and in store on Sept 30, then you shouldn't be disappointed. They could always ship a bit early, but you never know.

As for the AppleTV, there are plenty of people here who are interested and some who have reportedly pre-ordered. Obviously there will always be people who don't like something, and they tend to be very vocal. And you can't forget, there will also be trolls who want to stir the pot. I for one am very excited about the new AppleTV. I haven't pre-ordered because I want to hear some real-world user feedback first, but I am definitely liking what I see so far.
  • Reply 373 of 378
    I really want the Apple TV for streaming music from my Mac, iPod Touch and forthcoming iPad.

However, it appears that it will not be released in Hong Kong at all. This is madness. The streaming features are plenty enough to want this device, even if we won't be able to rent TV shows and movies. It looks like I'll have to pay more than retail to get the US version.
  • Reply 374 of 378
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

I really want the Apple TV for streaming music from my Mac, iPod Touch and forthcoming iPad.

However, it appears that it will not be released in Hong Kong at all. This is madness. The streaming features are plenty enough to want this device, even if we won't be able to rent TV shows and movies. It looks like I'll have to pay more than retail to get the US version.

Given your needs, have you considered the functionality of the Airport Express? For the last year I have used it to stream music from iTunes to our living room stereo, and it works really well. Obviously it will not stream video, but from your post it seems like you are only interested in audio. So for audio only, AirPort Express might be a good solution, and possibly cheaper. I got my airport express refurbished from Apple for $71.

An important variable in this discussion...

After the AppleTV comes out and AirPlay is rolled out, anything could happen. Obviously the Airport express will continue to function as it does today (streaming audio to the living room from iTunes on your Mac or PC). What we don't yet know, is whether or not compatible iOS devices will be able to stream audio directly to the AirPort Express for playback on living room speakers.

Since AirPlay is just an enhanced rebranding of AirTunes, I personally believe that Apple will include AirPort Express owners in this functionality. Again, it would be audio only, but it makes sense to include them.
  • Reply 375 of 378
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJinTX View Post

Given your needs, have you considered the functionality of the Airport Express? For the last year I have used it to stream music from iTunes to our living room stereo, and it works really well. Obviously it will not stream video, but from your post it seems like you are only interested in audio. So for audio only, AirPort Express might be a good solution, and possibly cheaper. I got my airport express refurbished from Apple for $71.

An important variable in this discussion...

After the AppleTV comes out and AirPlay is rolled out, anything could happen. Obviously the Airport express will continue to function as it does today (streaming audio to the living room from iTunes on your Mac or PC). What we don't yet know, is whether or not compatible iOS devices will be able to stream audio directly to the AirPort Express for playback on living room speakers.

Since AirPlay is just an enhanced rebranding of AirTunes, I personally believe that Apple will include AirPort Express owners in this functionality. Again, it would be audio only, but it makes sense to include them.

Well, I can't buy refurbished, so for almost the same price, along with the fact that I already have two wireless routers (one N), a NAS, and a wireless printer, the added video features of the Apple TV make it a no-brainer.
  • Reply 376 of 378
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Well, I can't buy refurbished, so for almost the same price, along with the fact that I already have two wireless routers (one N), a NAS, and a wireless printer, the added video features of the Apple TV make it a no-brainer.

That sounds like the way to go then. I thought you had said you only wanted to stream audio. Definitely if you plan to stream video then the AppleTV is the only option, unless you go with another product altogether (boxee, roku, etc.). I wonder how a US unit will work over there? I guess it shouldn't make a difference unless it forces you to connect it to an iTunes account before it will power up. You might make sure of this before you buy it.

Good Luck~
  • Reply 377 of 378
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJinTX View Post

That sounds like the way to go then. I thought you had said you only wanted to stream audio. Definitely if you plan to stream video then the AppleTV is the only option, unless you go with another product altogether (boxee, roku, etc.). I wonder how a US unit will work over there? I guess it shouldn't make a difference unless it forces you to connect it to an iTunes account before it will power up. You might make sure of this before you buy it.

Good Luck~

I do have a US iTunes account. Although I do want to mainly stream audio from my Mac, a video interface to do so using my Apple Remote or the Remote app on my iPod Touch would be mighty nice. Although I'm about to give up TV entirely and give my TV monitor to my daughter for use with a Mac Mini in the next few months (might get another one).

Maybe I'll just stick with using the iPod Classic for audio, as I have been doing for two years now.
  • Reply 378 of 378
    With tv, Apple has created the platform that is going to rule home entertainment.

There will be IOS updates and apps that I can't imagine, but Steve Jobs can and he will implement them.

For now I am thrilled to be receiving my own tv, it's due to arrive tomorrow.