Android gaining on Apple iOS in mobile web market share

Comments

• Reply 241 of 348
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guinness View Post

It happens all the time.

I have a Pre Plus on Verizon, running WebOS 1.4.1, and I'm waiting on them to release 1.4.5 for the Pre (they have for the Pixi), as there new apps I can't install based on the OS version.

My first gen iPod Touch is stuck at 3.1.3, and from what I've read, 4.0 runs like ass on 3g iPhones, and not all features are supported. You either buy new HW, or continue using what you've got.

The 3G slowdown will be fixed in the 4.1 update coming i 3 days, according to all reports. The 1. generation iPhones and Touch'es are stuck on iOS 3, but that's to be expected on 3 year old hardware.

Not, howevever, on 1 year old hardware...
  • Reply 242 of 348
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nealg View Post

I read some of what the trolls write just to see what an absolute worst case scenario looks like for Apple and it's products

That doesn't strike me as a very good method of arriving at the facts of the matter.
  • Reply 243 of 348
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

I think that now the % of people using 4.0 is > 90% because 1 month after the release it was 50%.

Quite a hunch. Got any facts beyond 50%?
  • Reply 244 of 348
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

I disagree. I think it is easier to grow if you already have a large installed base of rabid fans who buy new product from you every time you add a feature.

heehee. This is another premise of yours! (this word is really going to keep coming back to bite you on the butt). What a load of FUD! I just upgrade my two-year old second gen iPod touch the moment Apple releases a new version of iOS. I don't have an iPhone, but I will soon inherit a first gen iPhone, much as I might drool over the iPhone 4. Do all new Android devices even leave the stores with the latest version of Android?

Sent from my six-year old (seven?) PowerMac G5 happily tooling along on Leopard 24 hours per day, seven days per week.
  • Reply 245 of 348
    gctwnlgctwnl Posts: 278member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macFanDave View Post

Android's days are numbered as the iPhone exclusivity with AT&T draws to a close. Once Americans can choose a carrier they like, iOS will crush Android.

Probably not. Android may populate the lower price spot. Price is important for many and unless Apple drops prices and lowers margins, Android is a possible success.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by esummers View Post

It will be some time before Android is really competitive. Apple's developer SDKs and tools are much better then Googles. Apple has a significant advantage when it comes to mobile app development. It is difficult to write anything beyond simple apps that wrap around a web page (like Facebook) or OpenGL based games on an Android device. Android web surfing is probably up because that (and Google Maps which is better then on the iPhone) is all you can do well on an Android phone. iPhone users probably use applications in place of web browsing for many tasks. Android will probably be very popular among people who just want to surf the web, but may never gain traction among users who want to run apps. I think the iPhone actually lives up to the hype and Android falls short when you actually try to use their phone to run applications. As others have said, a lot of people chose an Android device on Verizon. Those same people carry an iPod touch to run applications. There is a significant conversion rate (I don't have the link handy) for Android to iPhone users. There is virtually no defection from the iPhone. Market share doesn't tell the whole story. I still find it incredible how many professionals are using OS X. These are the people really propelling the economy. Something just doesn't feel right about comparing a NetBook to a MacBook Pro. You can of course slant statistics to any point you want to prove, but I care more about use-share and dollar-share then market-share. I think that Microsoft would trade places with Apple right now if they could.

I think google should get credit for achieving this web use statistic though. It is really pretty impressive, but to be fair to Apple it is the only thing they have been focusing on. They certainly have not been focusing on Apps. For various reasons I don't think Apple has wanted to make a less expensive iPhone with more limited capabilities to compete with Android. If Android continues to increase their market share after Apple switches to Verizon, maybe they will.

Very astute. Web statistics are losing their validity to use for OS use statistics.

Android seems to be enough if you want web access and a few chosen apps, something like a feature-phone-+. iOS is your only valid choice if you want to have access to a wide range of decent quality apps. A feature-phone-+ is good enough for many, so there is a low-price-point spot for Android. It'll probably not be crushed soon.
  • Reply 246 of 348
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by krabbelen View Post

heehee. This is another premise of yours!

Actually, it is not a premise, but instead, a conclusion.

I will leave it as an exercise to the reader to identify the necessary premises. And if it interests you, try to identify the necessary implications as well.
  • Reply 247 of 348
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:

iOS devices account for less than 6% of web browsing.

Yet again your confused, wrong , lying ... take your pick.

Opinions stated as fact without references are the same as "lying by omission", IMO.

According to "STATCOUNTER.com": ... iPhone = 19.63 % worldwide (#2) .... iPod touch = 8.95 % (#5) and Android = 6.51 % (6) .... Note: iOS devices (touch and iPhone) account for almost 30% worldwide as opposed to Android at 6.51%.

In North America it is as follows: .... iPhone = 28.25% (#1) .... iPod Touch = 16.46% (#3) .... Android = 13.73% (#4).

The timeframe for these figures is from August 2009 to August 2010.

http://gs.statcounter.com/#mobile_br...908-201008-bar
  • Reply 248 of 348
    grkinggrking Posts: 533member
    Quote:

It is expected that Android will be used on a range of different phones in the future.

As of now, it is predominantly used on flagship models. But once it becomes the ubiquitous standard, expect to see it everywhere.

2 points. What is a low end smartphone, if not $99, which is the US price of a 3GS. So, if someone is looking for a "low end phone" then one could pick that.

Secondly, I can make all sorts of predictions also, and then make all sorts of scenarios about what will happen with my predictions. That does not make me right.

As of now, the "low end" argument is specious because there are no real price barriers to an iPhone vs an Android. If one can afford an Android, one can afford an iPhone.

Look, I love my iPhone, MBP, and I particularly love my new 27" quad core i7 iMac, but people have to realize that people (a lot of them probably) knowingly and consciously choose an Android phone, not because they cannot get an iPhone, or because and iPhone is too expensive, but rather because it is what they want.

Apple is not the be all and end all in smartphones, and some people choose otherwise.
  • Reply 249 of 348
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sranger View Post

Are you saying that the once a year major update is a faster deployment pace than the Android OS?

That's only because you're not paying attention.

IOS is updated a lot more than once a year. Major versions? We're at 4.0 after 3 years. But many minor updates in between.

The difference, of course, is that iOS was good enough from the start that they didn't have to do major updates over and over.

Quote:

I call, you update weak because ALL manufactures have to deal with this. Android is updated more often than iOS.

That's BS. Only if you ignore all the x.x and x.x.x iOS updates.

Quote:

Because you bought a crappy one. You are on record saying it is a good phone. But the reviews all say otherwise.

I am aware of no supercharger being available to upgrade a Hyundai, but then again, they are not designed that way. Same with economy-class phones. It has always been that way.

The good Android phones may be a different experience from the one you bought.

Bull. My daughter's phone was very highly rated and was manufactured by one of the top manufacturers. Not to mention that her experience is reflected over and over by the overwhelming majority of Android phone users. In fact, only a very tiny percentage DO have 2.2 available.
  • Reply 250 of 348
    Quote:

Apple has plenty of money to deploy workers wherever profits are available to be made.

They were not short staffed on OS X (if at all) for any reason other than that they chose to be so. They choose staffing levels based upon the potential profitability of various projects (just like Adobe). If you think that OS X is starved of talent, then the reason is that Apple chose to cut back on OS X engineers.

I don't think it is "profits", "costs", or "availability of talent" -- though those are factors when deciding whether to undertake a project.

Rather, I think Apple staffs [technical people] based on productivity. The biggest challenge is to balance staff size with productivity.

Often, increasing staff to accelerate output or meet a deadline, has just the opposite effect.

At IBM, we said: "Expediting... takes a little (or a lot) longer".

There have been lots of studies on "optimal team size"

Much of this boils down to "communication" as expressed in the communication formula-- the number of different communication paths (or interactions) within a group of a given size:

(N * (N-1))/2

Where N is the number of people in the group.

For example. we have a team of 5 people working on a project -- there are 10 possible communication (interaction) paths

(5 * (5-1))/2

Now, we want to expedite the project so we add 2 members to the team (assume the new members are all up to speed). Now there 21 possible communication (interaction) paths.

(7 * (7-1))/2

By increasing the team size by 40%, we have more than doubled the complexity of communication (interaction).

As the team grows, each member spends an increasing amount of his time "communicating" rather than "producing".

Soon, there will be more meetings called to "get everyone on the same page" and "up to speed".

Then, the final death rattle, when someone says: "let's have a pre-meeting, meeting-- so we can agree on a position to take to the full meeting".

Jef Bezos of Amazon is credited with defining the "Two-Pizza Team Rule".

"If a project team can eat more than two pizzas, it's too large."

http://www.learningapi.com/blog/archives/000079.html

In my experience, 5 is the optimal team size!

• Reply 251 of 348
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Jef Bezos of Amazon is credited with defining the "Two-Pizza Team Rule".

"If a project team can eat more than two pizzas, it's too large."

http://www.learningapi.com/blog/archives/000079.html

In my experience, 5 is the optimal team size!

Love the 2 pizza team rule. Always a fountain of information.
  • Reply 252 of 348
    I like Apple product too, but I can see the world without wearing my Apple filtered goggles. I cannot believe that you people really think Android is doomed because of a few little issues here and there ( many of which Apple has to deal with as well )

I have to ask:

1) Do you really think Android is doomed because a few older phones cannot be upgraded to the latest version?

2) Do you really think all Android phones are crap because a few manufactures chose to release them without the latest OS installed?

3) Do you really think the everyone will stop developing apps for the Android phones because they have to deal with different versions of the OS?

I just want to know if you guys really believe this is true or not.
  • Reply 253 of 348
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

I like Apple product too, but I can see the world without wearing my Apple filtered goggles. I cannot believe that you people really think Android is doomed because of a few little issues here and there ( many of which Apple has to deal with as well )

I have to ask:

1) Do you really think Android is doomed because a few older phones cannot be upgraded to the latest version?

2) Do you really think all Android phones are crap because a few manufactures chose to release them without the latest OS installed?

3) Do you really think the everyone will stop developing apps for the Android phones because they have to deal with different versions of the OS?

I just want to know if you guys really believe this is true or not.

1) I didn?t read a single comment about Android being doomed, only your comments implying that the iPhone is doomed because of Android.

2) The examples of Android phones that aren?t being updated in a timely manner or at all goes to the heart of the matter of Android not being an ideal mobile OS for the average person, which will give Apple, RiM and others a very real and profitable segment of the market.

3) Android will have a larger install base than iOS devices. Android will activate more devices per day than iOS devices. Android, by the virtue of being free and available to all, should have done this well over a year ago, after all it was bought by Google back in 2005(?), but you keep comparing a single company?s HW (which the only way to get their mobile OS) to an OS that can be on any all HW one wishes. Why does that kind of comparison make sense to you?
  • Reply 254 of 348
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    The single biggest thing holding back Android adoption by Mac users is that there's no Android app to sync your phone with your Mac. And no, I don't want Google knowing everything about my phone any time I want to update my Calendar.

RIM's had a hard time lately, but at least they have their own free desktop-based app for syncing Contacts, Calendar and iTunes with a Mac.

I'd switch to Blackberry long before I ever consider an Android device.
  • Reply 255 of 348
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) I didn?t read a single comment about Android being doomed, only your comments implying that the iPhone is doomed because of Android.

2) The examples of Android phones that aren?t being updated in a timely manner or at all goes to the heart of the matter of Android not being an ideal mobile OS for the average person, which will give Apple, RiM and others a very real and profitable segment of the market.

3) Android will have a larger install base than iOS devices. Android will activate more devices per day than iOS devices. Android, by the virtue of being free and available to all, should have done this well over a year ago, after all it was bought by Google back in 2005(?), but you keep comparing a single company?s HW (which the only way to get their mobile OS) to an OS that can be on any all HW one wishes. Why does that kind of comparison make sense to you?

1) I NEVER said or implied that the iPhone was doomed. I challenge you to prove other wise... In fact I think it is a very good phone. I simple know that many Android phones are equally as good and certianly as capable. If you read the various post there were infact several people who claimed that Android was doomed.

2) When Android was release obviously many manufactures did not know what hardware was really needed to run the OS efficiently and provide a reason time of future proofing the phone. They certainly seem to know what specs are need now and nearly all newer Android phones have the capacity to keep up with the OS development for a few years. If you do not believe that, you have not been paying attention to the newer Android phones.

3) One of the good things about Android is the fact that you do have more hardware options and competition is generally a good thing for consumers. It does however, cause a few issues because the hardware differences that can cause issues for developers. But by that logic, there should be far more software applications available for the Mac than the PC, which is not true. It also does not seem that Androidn App development is slowing down. I could be wrong, but the number of apps in the market do appear to be growing at a reasonable pace...

However, you never did not really answer my basic question.

Do you think Android is doomed or not?

And for the record, I know that the iPhone will continue to be a good phone and sell very well....
  • Reply 256 of 348
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

The single biggest thing holding back Android adoption by Mac users is that there's no Android app to sync your phone with your Mac. And no, I don't want Google knowing everything about my phone any time I want to update my Calendar.

RIM's had a hard time lately, but at least they have their own free desktop-based app for syncing Contacts, Calendar and iTunes with a Mac.

I'd switch to Blackberry long before I ever consider an Android device.

Is this really big deal?

Doubletwist will sync your music, playlists and any non DRM protected videos.

I really do not have a problem with my address book and calendar syncing through GMAIL. It works great, it's free, and I have an on-line backup of my contacts and calendar?

Actually not having to use iTunes to sync everything with my phone is something i like about my Droid...
  • Reply 257 of 348
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

That actually means lots of android devices are not used to browse the web.

Maybe, the users don't know how to turn Flash OFF!

• Reply 258 of 348
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

I am beging to suspect that your parents were possibly too closely related. I think that now the % of people using 4.0 is > 90% because 1 month after the release it was 50%. The 99% will probably be true sometime this year. As you can see from the report only 1% were using 2.x. The upgrade cycle is simple.

Try not to think too hard, it's only gonna get you in trouble...

If you honestly believe iOS v4.x was/is no installed/upgraded on 90%+ of all the capable devices and Steve didn't make mention of it at the iPod/iOS/iPad/AppleTV rollout you've got to be daft! It would have had to have been the most rapid adoption of a new OS in the history of OSes. Okay that last part I pulled from the air (kinda like your 99% figure) but honestly if iOS v4 uptake was that quick Steve woulda been screaming it to any and all who'd listen...

Now, he might be saving up that news to coincide with the iOS v4.1 release next week... and that would make some sense.... Too much Apple news in 1 week tends to get glossed over more quickly.

If an 'amazing' iOS announcement comes out next week then my sincere apologies (really!)... but even me an Apple fan (for the most part) isn't buying that iOS has that kinda uptake.
  • Reply 259 of 348
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    In raw numbers there are fewer apps for the Mac than for Windows. But the quality of Mac apps per total numbers is much higher than it is for Windows.

I'd take quality over quantity anytime.

Quote:

But by that logic, there should be far more software applications available for the Mac than the PC, which is not true.

• Reply 260 of 348
    Quote:

Like it or not, Android phones are equal to the iPhone in functionality. I have an old Droid ( I have to use Verizon ) and it does almost everything the current iPhone 4 does and it is a year old now. I have several friends that have iPhones so we compare the phones on a regular basis.

The new front facing camera in the iPhone 4 is a nice option and the screen is a little nicer. I have a Macbook Pro and a couple of Mac Minis. I really wanted an iPhone and though I would get one when our company forced us to get our own phone plans and put us in a reimbursement plan. Unfortunately AT&T does not cover a full 2/3 of my sales territory in Georgia with 3G coverage. This severely limited the usefulness of the iPhone for my work. Reluctantly, I bought a Motorola Droid as a result.

I might get an iPhone if it was offered on Verizon, but to be honest, I have grown to like the Android OS. I connect it to USB, mount the drive and use it like any other storage device. I can easly read/write files to my network storage devices. It is much easier to customize the operation and appearance of my phone with Android. The Android development/user community reminds me of what Apple used to be before it started down the path of a totally closed system. I have yet to find anything I wanted to do with the phone that it could not do in simple and efficient manner. There are a few apps that the iPhone has that I wished Android had, but they are supposedly in development.

If Apple does not take the competition from Android seriously, I think it would be a mistake...

And for those of you who do not think Android is mature and competitive with the iPhone you obviously have not used one of the higher end Android phones for any length of time...

A very well reasoned and presented post.

I enjoy reading posts like this, and learn from them-- I want to know more, and am inclined to do some research...

... besides the fact that the poster comes from a place with a famous name: Kennesaw, Georgia.

There is some history to be learned-- Civil War and Major League Baseball:

Sports, 1866-1944 - 1st Commissioner of Baseball

"Regardless of the outcome of the juries, no player that throws a ball game, no man that entertains proposals or promises to throw a game, no player that sits in a conference with a bunch of crooked players where the ways and means of throwing games are discussed, and does not promptly tell his club about it, will ever again play professional baseball."

- Judge Kenesaw Mountain Landis