iLife '11 Family Pack from Apple, Parallels 6 both spotted early

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Evidence of Apple's long-awaited iLife update has appeared via retailer Amazon.com, with a new $99 Family Pack for iLife '11 listed for availability in the next two to four weeks, while Parallels 6 has appeared on one retail store's shelves.

The products, discovered by TUAW, suggest that updates for both could arrive soon. iLife '11 appears to have been listed on Amazon since late July, but has gone relatively unnoticed. The family pack, selling for $99, can apparently be purchased without complications.

The product, listed with a model number of iLife11 FP, is also given a unique Amazon Standard Identification Number of B003XKXN0S. It states that the software ships on a DVD-ROM, but no box art is available.

Rumors of an update to iLife have persisted for months, but have not yet panned out. The last update, iLife '09, launched in January of 2009, with major upgrades to all of its applications, including the Faces and Places features in iPhoto, and the addition of the Precision Editor to iMovie.

The iLife suite currently includes iPhoto, iMovie, GarageBand and iWeb. The software is included for free on every new Mac, or can be purchased separately in a box through Apple or retailers, including Amazon.

Amazon listings can sometimes provide a hint of products to come. Last October, the site featured a guide for Aperture 3 before the software was announced. That product was eventually launched in February of this year.

In addition, Parallels Desktop 6 was also spotted on the shelves of a Fry's Electronics store in California. The product has not yet been announced by Parallels.

Parallels 5 was released late last year, adding full support for Aero in Windows Vista and 7. The virtualization software was found to be 30 percent faster on average than its primary competitor, VMware Fusion 3, in a test conducted earlier this year.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The iLife suite currently includes iPhoto, iMovie, GarageBand and iWeb. The software is included for free on every new Mac, or can be purchased separately in a box through Apple or retailers, including Amazon.

Do current buyers get the update free? Or do they have to buy it a second time? If the later, shouldn't Apple announce that the new version is going to ship soon?
  • Reply 2 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

Do current buyers get the update free? Or do they have to buy it a second time? If the later, shouldn't Apple announce that the new version is going to ship soon?

According to history, you'll you need to buy a new one.
  • Reply 3 of 90
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TimUSCA View Post

According to history, you'll you need to buy a new one.

Yep, that's true but $99 for the entire suite I see as a good upgrade price. Newbies get a steal
  • Reply 4 of 90
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    I hope it's worth the wait. Given that iLife & iWork seem to be the flagship software products it's difficult to see why they skipped a year unless they are making major changes. I hope iWeb gets a major update.
  • Reply 5 of 90
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    I would normally be excited by the Parallels 6 but our Realtor MLS system here in west Florida FINALLY started offering a Mac interface directly which works like a charm .

NO MORE F****G Windows Needed ... Yahoooooooooo!
  • Reply 6 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Yep, that's true but $99 for the entire suite I see as a good upgrade price. Newbies get a steal

That is the family bundle price, single user should be cheaper

It could be nice that it incorporate some face time support thru it. the base of macs with a front camera is kind of big now and could add even more value to the Mac computers.
  • Reply 7 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

I hope it's worth the wait. Given that iLife & iWork seem to be the flagship software products it's difficult to see why they skipped a year unless they are making major changes. I hope iWeb gets a major update.

Seriously just get Rapidweaver - it's a fantastic piece of software. Apple should buy it and bundle as part of iLife.
  • Reply 8 of 90
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    A Mac-focused event at the end of this month, like they used to do? iLife and Mac OS X 10.7 demo?
  • Reply 9 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

A Mac-focused event at the end of this month, like they used to do? iLife and Mac OS X 10.7 demo?

Man, that would be great...
  • Reply 10 of 90
    Apple needs to add Facetime for the Mac before I take my new iPhone (minus AT&T) to Afghanistan next year.
  • Reply 11 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It has been a year since 10.6, time to demo a new Mac OS
  • Reply 12 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msuberly View Post

Apple needs to add Facetime for the Mac before I take my new iPhone (minus AT&T) to Afghanistan next year.

I'm hoping that comes soon as well. I would also love it if Skype would build in support so I could FaceTime family who have Windows. If Skype supported it, it would would go beyond huge to incredible.
  • Reply 13 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aquadjcity View Post

So, if Apple is doing away with DVD mastering (iDVD), how do you get your movies on to DVD?

You don't, unless you use 3rd party software.
  • Reply 14 of 90
    Quote:

So, if Apple is doing away with DVD mastering (iDVD), how do you get your movies on to DVD?

In the age of the Internet, who needs DVDs? Upload to YouTube or MobileMe, or stream it to your own TV with AppleTV.

Edit... for clarity, /sarcasm
  • Reply 15 of 90
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:

In the past there has always been an 'up to date' scheme for those who purchased a new mac within a certain period of time before the launch to get it at a reduced cost.
  • Reply 16 of 90
    Quote:

Apple haven't said they are "doing away" with DVD mastering, it's speculation. If iDVD does go, I imagine the burn to DVD functionality will be added to iMovie. Simples.
  • Reply 17 of 90
    Quote:

Strictly speaking current buyers wouldn't be buying anything a "second time" as it is bundled free of charge with their mac purchase, they didn't "buy it" the first time...
  • Reply 18 of 90
    kiweekiwee Posts: 102member
    Coverart has been added to the Amazon link. I don't know if it is the old one or not.
  • Reply 19 of 90
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Since iLife comes with the computer, the version you buy IS the update. Just like the OS.
  • Reply 20 of 90
    Amazon lists unreleased stuff all the time based on nothing but their own or customers' expectations. Not really news worthy.