Fourth-gen iPod touch adds vibration, Apple's pics contain errors

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple had quietly added vibration to the fourth-generation iPod touch, while promotional materials for the media player on the company's website incorrectly show Phone and Messages applications.

Vibration in new iPod touch

Though it was not mentioned last week by Apple, the new iPod touch includes a motor for vibration, much like the one found in the iPhone. While the vibrate feature can be used to alert a user of a call when the phone is placed on silent, it has also become an important feature in games.

Now, as revealed in the FCC teardown of the fourth-generation iPod touch, the new device, Apple has added vibration to the new device. Multi-Touch Fans noted that the motor is similar to one found in phones made by Samsung, and said that it "isn't the most aggressive, although definitely isn't terrible."

In addition, the accessibility page for the iPod touch on Apple's site notes that the new hardware has the ability to vibrate, but notes only that it is used for an alert for FaceTime calls.

"If somebody wants to start a video call with you, you'll receive an invitation -- along with a vibrating alert -- on your iPod touch asking you to join," the page reads.

iPod touch pictures show wrong apps

Promotional materials for the iPod touch on Apple's site incorrectly show icons that aren't included with the media player and are only found on its counterpart, the iPhone. As discovered by Engadget, the doctored pictures on Apple's site show phone-only applications on the iPod touch.

In one screenshot, the iPhone's "Phone" application rests in the dock in the bottom left corner. And in another promotional photo, a Spotlight search has returned results that include an MMS in the iPhone's "Messages" application.

This isn't the first time this year that material on Apple's website has incorrectly shown features that do not exist on an iOS device. In January, after it introduced the iPad, Apple displayed content running in Adobe Flash loading on the site.

The iPad -- along with the iPhone and iPod touch -- cannot display Flash content. In response, Apple quickly removed photos that displayed Adobe Flash content on the iPad.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

This isn't the first time this year that material on Apple's website has incorrectly shown features that do not exist on an iOS device. In January, after it introduced the iPad, Apple displayed content running in Adobe Flash loading on the site.

The iPad -- along with the iPhone and iPod touch -- cannot display Flash content. In response, Apple quickly removed photos that displayed Adobe Flash content on the iPad.

Do they produce this stuff in-house? Or did their agency screw up?

Ultimately it is Apple's fault, even if an agency initially produced the images. Obviously the guys in the ad department are kept in the dark about the product's features. Maybe the guy doing the mock-up didn't even know his work was intended for a new iTouch?

Apple needs to get its shit together. It is growing faster than management is able to deal with.
  • Reply 2 of 28
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:

In one screenshot, the iPhone's "Phone" application rests in the dock in the bottom left corner. And in another promotional photo, a Spotlight search has returned results that include an MMS in the iPhone's "Messages" application.

Oh no, it's the end of the world. Have these been corrected yet - and are you absolutely sure that the phone icon isn't there for facetime or something and that the new ipod can't mms over wi-fi?
  • Reply 3 of 28
    I wouldn't be surprised if several money-grab lawsuits have already been filed.
  • Reply 4 of 28
    stuffestuffe Posts: 394member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

Do they produce this stuff in-house? Or did their agency screw up?

Ultimately it is Apple's fault, even if an agency initially produced the images. Obviously the guys in the ad department are kept in the dark about the product's features. Maybe the guy doing the mock-up didn't even know his work was intended for a new iTouch?

Apple needs to get its shit together. It is growing faster than management is able to deal with.

Apple is doomed! (TM)
  • Reply 5 of 28
    richysrichys Posts: 160member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

Oh no, it's the end of the world. Have these been corrected yet - and are you absolutely sure that the phone icon isn't there for facetime or something and that the new ipod can't mms over wi-fi?

Agreed. It's a small mistake -- they've not exactly air-brushed out all the black people from their site, have they?
  • Reply 6 of 28
    Also the iPod icon shouldn.t be there. It should be music and video. I think ultimately, who freaking cares!
  • Reply 7 of 28
    Apple, Inc. 2010 . . . the company we all love to hate.

Flash doesn't work (well) on ANY smartphone, so heap ordure on Apple for not supporting it in iOS either. Change an icon in iTunes, send them to Hades. Lay out an ad incorrectly, it's time to disband the company. One step forward, two steps back, eh?

Tell me, folks: Is anyone looking at Microsoft, RIM, Dell, HP, Sony, Asus, Lenovo, Google, Motorola, ad infinitum, with the same fanatical scrutiny as that applied to Steve and company right now? Or, is it just possible that all of THEM have reached a level of perfection exempting them from such investigation?

I'd wager on the latter scenario. It's time to go Windows/VAIO/Pre/Zune/ for me. Anyone else?
  • Reply 8 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by VinitaBoy View Post

Flash doesn't work (well) on ANY smartphone, so heap ordure on Apple for not supporting it in iOS either. Change an icon in iTunes, send them to Hades. Lay out an ad incorrectly, it's time to disband the company. One step forward, two steps back, eh?

Tell me, folks: Is anyone looking at Microsoft, RIM, Dell, HP, Sony, Asus, Lenovo, Google, Motorola, ad infinitum, with the same fanatical scrutiny as that applied to Steve and company right now? Or, is it just possible that all of THEM have reached a level of perfection exempting them from such investigation?

I'd wager on the latter scenario. It's time to go Windows/VAIO/Pre/Zune/ for me. Anyone else?

If Apple wasn't so great, nobody would spit on them and talk everyday about them. That is one big fact. Also, this is not any of those "conspiracy" posts and stuff, but it is certainly that Apple, consciously, in multiple ways interacts with it's customers psychic. Starting from keynotes, Steve as a figure, secrets, rumors etc. I am a half way at med school, so I do know what I am talking about...
  • Reply 9 of 28
    Photogate!
  • Reply 10 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stuffe View Post

Apple is doomed! (TM)

like Palm?
  • Reply 11 of 28
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    huge threat to the telecoms....its independent, go go go gadget VOIP
  • Reply 12 of 28
    This vibration could be real useful for those cases that allow jailbroken iPod touches to be used as iPhones. Like a backdoor multicarrier option. Maybe one of those cases can include a proximity sensor, then what else do you need?
  • Reply 13 of 28
    Quote:

Hey hey! Proof that flash works.

No you can't MMS over wifi. That would be stupid. Try email.
  • Reply 14 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichyS View Post

Agreed. It's a small mistake -- they've not exactly air-brushed out all the black people from their site, have they?

Like you i'm from the UK but i can't for the life of me work out what you mean by that sentence. Seriously, can you explain to me what you mean by it?
  • Reply 15 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elliots11 View Post

This vibration could be real useful for those cases that allow jailbroken iPod touches to be used as iPhones. Like a backdoor multicarrier option. Maybe one of those cases can include a proximity sensor, then what else do you need?

Why would you need a proximity sensor?

The speaker on the iPod touch is at the bottom next to the dock connector. The microphone is a pinhole next to the rear-facing camera. If you want to use the iPod touch as a makeshift phone, you need to hold it upside down and backwards, with the screen facing the palm of your hand.

A wired or Bluetooth headset would seem to make more sense. I've used my 3rd generation iPod touch to make a couple of calls with a wired earphone with microphone. It's not ideal, but it works in a pinch, and no proximity sensor is necessary.
  • Reply 16 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by VinitaBoy View Post

I don't, but then again, I'm a longtime AAPL shareholder.

Why would I hate the company that has provided the best ROI over the last five years and blows doors on the rest of the S&P 500? As a customer, I think they make some nice products, too.
  • Reply 17 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

Hey hey! Proof that flash works.

No you can't MMS over wifi. That would be stupid. Try email.

Actually you can. There is a way to send a mms through your email. It will go over wifi.
  • Reply 18 of 28
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Lol yea I saw that. Unless that is no error, but there is a secret ability to make regular phone calls using facetime that is hidden away to be unlocked with 4.3
  • Reply 19 of 28
    I updated the spreadsheet of Hardware Capabilities by Apple iOS Device to include note the iPod Touch 4th Generation includes the vibration motor.

From what I have read, the items missing on the iPod Touch 4th gen compared to the iPhone 4 are: second microphone (beneficial for noise cancellation), receiver (for phone calls), LED flash, cellular capabilities, SIM card, digital compass, GPS, proximity sensor, mute switch.

Please let me know if I have captured anything incorrectly.

Full article here

Spreadsheet here
  • Reply 20 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr Underhill View Post

Like you i'm from the UK but i can't for the life of me work out what you mean by that sentence. Seriously, can you explain to me what you mean by it?

I recall one of the Premiership clubs (Arsenal?) had hoardings around their refurbishment works lacking black people, more recently Microsoft airbrushed (more like cut and pasted) white head and hands over black in one of their famous commercials. Can't remember which one now.