Apple unveils new iPod touch with Retina Display, forward-facing camera

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 110
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    The Touch update reminds me more and more of the iMac update.

It's a good spec bump.

But like the new iMac's lack of new IO options, the Touch's lack of a decent camera means that I'll likely skip this update and wait for the next one.
  • Reply 102 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

The Touch update reminds me more and more of the iMac update.

It's a good spec bump.

But like the new iMac's lack of new IO options, the Touch's lack of a decent camera means that I'll likely skip this update and wait for the next one.

Meh. I've often got my F31fd, and when I don't have that, I have my Elm, which takes better photos than the iPhone 4 (maybe not better with the HD feature though).

I'm thrilled about the retina display. Excited about Facetime. Very happy about the A4.

Disappointed that there's no GPS or compass, but those aren't deal breakers. 128GB would have been nice, but mayne out of budget anyway.

Camera I couldn't care less about.
  • Reply 103 of 110
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Yeah, but it's one more thing to carry around.

Didn't realize there's no compass either. It is weird that Apple just went thinner instead of packing a high-end model with the better camera, GPS and compass.

A $499. model at the top wouldn't have hurt anybody.
  • Reply 104 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Yeah, but it's one more thing to carry around.

Didn't realize there's no compass either. It is weird that Apple just went thinner instead of packing a high-end model with the better camera, GPS and compass.

A $499. model at the top wouldn't have hurt anybody.

I like the thinness. That's one thing that's clearly better about the Touch than the iPhone. The iPhone 4 is a huge improvement over the bulky 3G, but it's still not as nice to hold as the iPod Touch.
  • Reply 105 of 110
    Now that we will be able to facetime from iPhone4 to iPod Touch (no longer requiring a cellular start before handing off to WiFi), what's preventing Apple from opening the gateway from iPhone/Touch to iSight equipped computers? Is that a feature we should expect soon?
  • Reply 106 of 110
    Hi, does anyone know when the new iPod touch will be available in the Apple stores? I called Apple Store but they keep saying next week without giving any specific dates.
  • Reply 107 of 110
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Good god Apple, make the frickin' thing 1 mm thicker so you can get an actual camera in there. They should be embarrassed to even claim it can take still photos at all if it can only do 960 x 720. So they had to yank the camera last year at the last minute because they couldn't get a respectable camera in the thin touch case. And their response this year was to put in a non-respectable camera instead of making the case a fraction thicker? It would literally be better for them to just disable stills all together than to advertise those pathetic specs.

Actually, take a look at this shot from the iFixIt iPhone 4 teardown:

It's the thickest component in the device, taking up the entire depth. Myself, I would have preferred an iPhone form factor and a better camera, but clearly, given Apple's decision to make super slim a selling point for the Touch and a point of differentiation from the iPhone, it was going take a very different case design to fit that camera in there-- the iPhone case, in fact.
  • Reply 108 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

I like the thinness. That's one thing that's clearly better about the Touch than the iPhone. The iPhone 4 is a huge improvement over the bulky 3G, but it's still not as nice to hold as the iPod Touch.

I have a 2nd gen touch and I think it's nicer to hold when it has a case around it that makes it more like the iPhone for size.
  • Reply 109 of 110
    My ipod touch 4g came 2 days early and its amazing
  • Reply 110 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tyler82 View Post

But does the new iPod touch able to take still photos? Is there a flash?

I has camera but it is so low in resolution is worthless. No Flash it hasn't too.