How do you Restore to a different iPhone?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
My brother recently gave me his old iPhone 3Gs (nice guy that he is...) and I want to load it with the apps, music etc from my 3G. How do I do that?

What I've tried so far is connecting the 3Gs to my iMac where I have always synced up my iphone 3G. Under Summary there is an option to Restore, which says 'If you are experiencing problems with your iPhone, you can restore its original settings by clicking Restore.' But that will restore the factory settings, right? Isn't there a way to choose a particular Backup to Restore?

thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Yeah, what should happen is that you do a full backup of the old phone, then do a restore from backup on the new. If that's not happening something's wrong.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    I think you have to right click the iPhone 3GS icon on the left and select Restore from backup. I am not in front of my Mac right now, so now 100% sure. I think you are looking at the two buttons in the centre of the window instead.

If there is actual data associated with some of the apps that you need brought over, then I guess a restore is the way to go. If not, then another option is to just set it up as a new phone and then configure what you want synced. If it is just music and apps (and contacts, etc), you should be good.