Microsoft begins Windows Phone 7 media blitz with new teaser ad

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Microsoft has posted its first teaser video advertisement for the upcoming Windows Phone 7.

The one-minute ad, posted on the official Windows Phone UK YouTube channel, was created for a Secret Cinema showing of 'Lawrence of Arabia,' and spoofs the iconic mirage scene from the film.

With the Windows Phone 7 launch just months away, Microsoft has begun ramping up publicity for the new mobile OS. Windows Phone UK is partnering with Secret Cinema to bring "a new level of connectivity" to the Secret Cinema experience and raise awareness of Windows Phone 7.

Microsoft is expected to spend over $500 million on marketing at launch.

The Redmond, Wash., company faces tough competition when it comes to marketing, as its rival Apple has consistently been recognized as a leader and innovator in marketing its products. In December 2009, Apple was recognized as "Brand of the Decade" by Adweek.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 172
    Holy crap! I can't even begin to imagine who greenlighted that graphic!

talk about a waste of money...
  • Reply 2 of 172
    I have a feeling the word "revolution" is being overused here. And that teaser is about 30 seconds too long. Even though I like my iPhone, I'm really curious to see what a Windows 7 phone is capable of.
  • Reply 3 of 172
    Actually, a decent - and subtle - ad from Microsoft!? I am speechless.
  • Reply 4 of 172
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Not the popular sentiment around here, but I wish Microsoft well. More competition will push everyone to improve, to the benefit of we the consumer.
  • Reply 5 of 172
    I don't see anything revolutionary about their UI .. it looks absolutely terrible
  • Reply 6 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iCarbon View Post

i agree...i mean, the first 30 seconds of that publicity are completely useless...they're supposed to be there for a reason but they fail at it...

it's pathetic
  • Reply 7 of 172
    grkinggrking Posts: 533member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Actually, a decent - and subtle - ad from Microsoft!? I am speechless.

I agree with you here. I thought it was a highly effective teaser commercial. It probably helps that Lawrence of Arabia is my favorite film.
  • Reply 8 of 172
    Actually, a pretty decent ad from MS. After the Bill Gates / Jerry Seinfelf crap I'm pretty impressed.
  • Reply 9 of 172
    I can't believe I'm on a APPLE forum and everyone is pretending that this Microsux P.O.S. is going to be anything but another ZUNE, Windows Vista, Windows 2000 failure! Where are all the Macintosh people? We've got nothing here by MS fanboys!

Ok, I'll say it. It's appropriate that Microsux picked a mirage for their commercial since that's what their success will be like with this cell phone!

OK, MS fanboys, let 'er rip!
  • Reply 10 of 172
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    They have a nerve using the word 'revolution' for several reasons!
  • Reply 11 of 172
    That looks a little odd on a YouTube channel... but I guess it makes sense in the context that it was shown. I wonder how much of the 500 million that used...

Still, I'm excited about another genuinely unique smartphone competitor instead of just another iClone.
  • Reply 12 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iCarbon View Post

Am I correct that you have never seen the movie?
  • Reply 13 of 172
    I have never seen the film so this ad makes little sense to Me. Just saying.
  • Reply 14 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MadGoat View Post

I don't see anything revolutionary about their UI .. it looks absolutely terrible

Looks can be deceiving.
  • Reply 15 of 172
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,282member
    Microsoft is competing more directly against android than against apple, so I think this is probably a net plus for apple
  • Reply 16 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

They have a nerve using the word 'revolution' for several reasons!

Do you like magical better? That one disgusts me.
  • Reply 17 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

Microsoft is competing more directly against android than against apple, so I think this is probably a net plus for apple

How do you figure that Microsoft is not competing with the iPhone?
  • Reply 18 of 172
    grkinggrking Posts: 533member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

I am willing to bet that a rather large percentage of the people who post here have never seen the movie.
  • Reply 19 of 172
    Quote:

I have seen the movie and David Lean created a more believable mirage with a 1960s Panavision camera than Microsoft did for this advertisement. That's saying something.

GTSC
  • Reply 20 of 172
    Quote:

Do you like magical better? That one disgusts me.

It's a word. Chill.