Microsoft begins Windows Phone 7 media blitz with new teaser ad

Comments

• Reply 41 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

Dude, it was shown BEFORE the movie.

Dude, LoA came out in 1962. The overwhelming majority of the audience at that showing have probably seen the movie scores of times.

Thus, the people at the theater would be familiar with the iconic "desert" scene, and would thus understand the point of the commercial.
  • Reply 42 of 172
    After that lengthy buildup, anything less than Jessica Alba dancing semi-nude in front of a blue lagoon would be a let down.

I can't be the only one chuckling at a Microsoft ad that employs a mirage to announce its forthcoming Revolution.

Reminds me of one in the Seinfeld ad series where Gates squirmed around trying to dislodge his wedgie. Microsoft blew a huge wad of cash on those turds and we were left scratching our heads.
  • Reply 43 of 172
    OMG! The positive comments compelled me to watch the ad. Are we seeing the same thing? The concept is awful! The execution? Horrible! Associating your product with a mirage? Boneheaded! Even if referencing an iconic film, fail?
  • Reply 44 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

Do you realize that the people they are targeting were attending a screening of Lawrence of Arabia?

Read the article.

Son, please read my previous response. I am aware that it was run during Lawrence of Arabia, but are you as short-sighted as Microsoft that you would think it would only run in that screening room? When it gets posted online it makes no sense to the viewer, especially the younger viewers who are most likely the people who they want to buy the phone. Wake up, Kurt Cobain is dead, the nineties happened already, it's a whole new millennium. That's the problem with Microsoft, they still think they are in their heyday.

Why not run it during a tech heavy movie or sci-fi movie? Wouldn't that make more sense?

Microsoft, throw $500 million my way. I'll put you on the right track. I've quit the advertising game already, but for that much scratch I would reconsider.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Unless you're hip to the Lawrence of Arabia thing, the ad just reads as "Arabic." Combining Arabic with "Revolution" at a time when anti-Islamic sentiment seems to be on a steep rise strikes me as a puzzling choice (yes, I realize there's a world of casual and unfounded association there, I'm talking about the usual uninformed passions at large).

I mean, people got crazy about the shape of a proposed Flight 93 memorial, finding a semi-circle to be suspiciously crescent like. I wonder how long it takes some group to declare MS in league with Bin Laden?

Thanks Addabox, you clearly understand it's Brie time baby, these guys are still dreaming about Gorgonzola.
  • Reply 45 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SomethingWicked View Post

I can't believe I'm on a APPLE forum and everyone is pretending that this Microsux P.O.S. is going to be anything but another ZUNE, Windows Vista, Windows 2000 failure! Where are all the Macintosh people? We've got nothing here by MS fanboys!

Ok, I'll say it. It's appropriate that Microsux picked a mirage for their commercial since that's what their success will be like with this cell phone!

OK, MS fanboys, let 'er rip!

Your opinion would have more credibility if you actually backed it up with some kind of argument or reasoning. We're mostly big fans of Apple products on this forum, but that doesn't mean that we hate on every other company/product. It's one thing to dislike a trailer - it is what it is. But I'll reserve judgement on Windows 7 mobile since I've never used it or seen it in action.
  • Reply 46 of 172
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SomethingWicked View Post

I can't believe I'm on a APPLE forum and everyone is pretending that this Microsux P.O.S. is going to be anything but another ZUNE, Windows Vista, Windows 2000 failure! Where are all the Macintosh people? We've got nothing here by MS fanboys!

Ok, I'll say it. It's appropriate that Microsux picked a mirage for their commercial since that's what their success will be like with this cell phone!

OK, MS fanboys, let 'er rip!

It appears that you've already 'let 'er rip' enough with that Brain Fart of a Tirade
  • Reply 47 of 172
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    At least something a bit different, not a copycat like Android.
  • Reply 48 of 172
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Not the popular sentiment around here, but I wish Microsoft well. More competition will push everyone to improve, to the benefit of we the consumer.

I wish them well too. It is nice to see competition and have alternatives. Plus Microsoft's approach is a bit different from all the me-too iPhone knock-offs.
  • Reply 49 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MetroRip View Post

Son, please read my previous response. I am aware that it was run during Lawrence of Arabia, but are you as short-sighted as Microsoft that you would think it would only run in that screening room? When it gets posted online it makes no sense to the viewer, especially the younger viewers who are most likely the people who they want to buy the phone. Wake up, Kurt Cobain is dead, the nineties happened already, it's a whole new millennium. That's the problem with Microsoft, they still think they are in their heyday.

Why not run it during a tech heavy movie or sci-fi movie? Wouldn't that make more sense?

Microsoft, throw $500 million my way. I'll put you on the right track. I've quit the advertising game already, but for that much scratch I would reconsider.

Thanks Addabox, you clearly understand it's Brie time baby, these guys are still dreaming about Gorgonzola.

Two points, one minor.

This thread has attracted a fair number of first time and/or really low posters. It is a bit odd.

Your point would make sense if this is the ONLY ad MS ever ran. That will not be the case. This was a targeted ad - yes it will hit the internet, and lots of people will see it, and lots of people won't understand it because they have not seen the movie (much to their loss IMHO).

But, you would have to be delusional to think that this is the only WP7 add that will be run.
  • Reply 50 of 172
    Every iPhone ad (and now, every iPad ad) focuses like a laser on what the product can do. Apps are the star. Every Droid ad, every Palm ad, and now every Windows Mobile ad, shows everything BUT the products' apps in action. Instead, their ads are all stylin' and marketing BS.

I guess if you buy into the garbage, or you just hate AT&T, you're buying a Droid or Palm or whatever. But everyone who's tired of the kind of marketing hype that's dripping from those terrible Droid ads, and can live with AT&T, is just not gonna buy anything but an iPhone.
  • Reply 51 of 172
    Here's the part I don't understand.

Apple was criticized for not including copy/paste, and multitasking 3 and a half years ago! Since then, they have added both (I personally don't care much for multitasking, but copy-paste was essential for me. Thats when I springed money for the iPhone).

But Windows Phone has neither (nor do they have Flash, but I am okay with that). WTH are people simply ignoring all those articles screaming about lack of multitasking/copy-paste on a phone coming out now, 3 years after the original iPhone and many months after the iPhone already has those, as well as a well entrenched, and popular App Store?
  • Reply 52 of 172
    I liked the ad, actually very clever and impressive for Microsoft.
  • Reply 53 of 172
    Slogans:

It's the Zune of smart phones.

It's a steaming pile of Does.

. . . oh wait, that last one has been taken.
  • Reply 54 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post

After that lengthy buildup, anything less than Jessica Alba dancing semi-nude in front of a blue lagoon would be a let down.

That will be debuted before the Secret Cinema showing of the lesser known, but still critically acclaimed "'Lawrence of a Labia".

Quote:
    Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

WTH are people simply ignoring all those articles screaming about lack of multitasking/copy-paste on a phone coming out now...

I don't think they are. I haven't read an article where the lack of copy and paste and multi-tasking hasn't been highlighted as an issue.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Slogans:

That's not a bad thing from a product perspective! The Zune is actually quite a nice device.

It's not so good as far as sales go though.
  • Reply 55 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

Do you realize that the people they are targeting were attending a screening of Lawrence of Arabia?

Read the article.

Do you take the time to read through all the posts before you jump on someone's back? Of course not, so don't be a smart aleck because someone posted an observation you don't like.

Troll.
  • Reply 56 of 172
    Microsoft's strategy is to show up to the game with nothing really game-changing, but at least competitive (or anti-competitive, if they can get away with it), then keep revising versions relentlessly until their main competitor stumbles. It's how they took the market away from Borland, IBM, Netscape, Palm, and Sony's Playstation. They wait for the other guy to stumble.

The problem is: what happens when the other guy doesn't slip up? Examples: Google with search engines, and Apple's iPod.
  • Reply 57 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shigzeo View Post

Spot on here. 'Magical' as a word used to describe a piece of aluminium and glass, is the worst advertising buzzword I've seen. Hate it so much I cringe when I realise that my iPad was so brainlessly used by Apple's marketing. It isn't magical, it's great, but that's no good either.

Apple should have just introduced the iPad and explained it. Their use of 'magical' makes them pine for user support. Pathetic.

My Dad worked with IBM mainframes and I had no interest in what he did. It was Greek to me. The first time in my life I ever used any computer was a Mac Plus back in 1986. It was at a college where I was working at the time. I asked to play with it and someone said, "go ahead, you'll figure it out." I sat alone in that room and five hours later came up for air to realize that the sun had gone down and everyone had left. I just plain got sucked into to the world of that OS and was lost in it. The best word I have ever found to describe that first experience was . . . magical.
  • Reply 58 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post

You too, huh? I was holding out for full-frontal though
  • Reply 59 of 172
    The "Revolution" already came. It was called the iPhone.

This is ain't no revolution. It's a minor disturbance. Once again, too little, too late for MS.
  • Reply 60 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Slogans:

It's a steaming pile of Does.

. . . oh wait, that last one has been taken.

LOL!

Here's another slogan:

The Pontiac Aztek of smart phones!