Microsoft begins Windows Phone 7 media blitz with new teaser ad

Comments

• Reply 61 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

That's not a bad thing from a product perspective! The Zune is actually quite a nice device.

It's not so good as far as sales go though.

Of course, I agree. I was referencing more the Johnny Come Lately aspect of that device, and the hole it created for itself that it has never been able to get out of.
  • Reply 62 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

Here's the part I don't understand.

Apple was criticized for not including copy/paste, and multitasking 3 and a half years ago! Since then, they have added both (I personally don't care much for multitasking, but copy-paste was essential for me. Thats when I springed money for the iPhone).

But Windows Phone has neither (nor do they have Flash, but I am okay with that). WTH are people simply ignoring all those articles screaming about lack of multitasking/copy-paste on a phone coming out now, 3 years after the original iPhone and many months after the iPhone already has those, as well as a well entrenched, and popular App Store?

most articles mention the lack of C and P and multitasking.

OTOH, since you mention this, it is a bit hypocritical for many here to criticize the absence since many people vehemently defended the absence of said features in the iPhone (multitasking would drain the battery, result in system crashes, it was unnecessary, etc).
  • Reply 63 of 172
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    The irony is a lot of these same negative comments were made about the iPhone when it first came out. Many of us said don't criticize it before it comes to market. I say the same thing about this Windows phone.
  • Reply 64 of 172
    do you have to press the start button to switch it off?
  • Reply 65 of 172
    jon tjon t Posts: 131member
    Microsoft. Pathetic as usual. You know everything about money and nothing about people.
  • Reply 66 of 172
    On the cut and paste issue, all of us who defended the lack of it, will indeed bash the WinFon7 for it because it was made out to be a massive issue then - 3 years ago for heavens sakes - and one of the few issues that iPhone could be attacked on. How can MS make the same mistake 3 years on??

And rest assured, bashing of the WinFon7 on that one will be the least of its worries. There are so many other things wrong that cut and paste will be neither here not there...
  • Reply 67 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post

I can't be the only one chuckling at a Microsoft ad that employs a mirage to announce its forthcoming Revolution.

You wonder that the ad agencies don't deliberately misdirect MS advertising..

It's a conspiracy! At'em MS Fanboys!
  • Reply 68 of 172
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    Windows Phone 7

This Changes Nothing... All Over Again

I don't like the phone UI and even in context, this ad sucks. It's nice that Microsoft are consistent though so you know to expect it.

I reckon they deserve some kudos for not just ripping off the iPhone UI like most competitors but I don't think it works. Their font choices are bad and the navigation is not intuitive as there are no visual indicators about where off-screen content is nor how much of it there is. The advantage to this is they support devices with different screen resolutions but we'll see how that fragmentation works out for them.
  • Reply 69 of 172
    grkinggrking Posts: 533member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jon T View Post

On the cut and paste issue, all of us who defended the lack of it, will indeed bash the WinFon7 for it because it was made out to be a massive issue then - 3 years ago for heavens sakes - and one of the few issues that iPhone could be attacked on. How can MS make the same mistake 3 years on??

And rest assured, bashing of the WinFon7 on that one will be the least of its worries. There are so many other things wrong that cut and paste will be neither here not there...

cut and paste came in iOS 3 (slightly over a year ago, not 3 years ago) and multitasking came in iOS 4, which is a couple of months ago.

BTW, for an OS that is not public yet, and that you have probably not ever use, what, in your opinion, is wrong with WP7?

Mind you that statements similar to "I don't like the UI" are not particularly valid, as they represent your own particular preference, which may not apply to everyone.
  • Reply 70 of 172
    Help me out here,

A dark creepy mirage approaches me, from the East, across the sand dunes, and it says it is a revolution, in Arabic looking font, with Arabic sounding music track ... right?

Am I supposed to identify?

Am I supposed to spit up my grits and call the boys to lock and load? ...

Oh! I am supposed to buy an iPhone knock-off !!!!

Now I get it ! Eddy Bernais would be proud
  • Reply 71 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jon T View Post

With copy & paste they are between a rock and a hard place. Copy & paste allows for "lazy" development. With no c&p developers are forced to integrate their application with the available base functions of the phone (i.e. using launchers and choosers to access email, sms, phone and media functions).

I believe they intentionally left c&p off the list of release features in order to improve the overall user experience, and I think Apple's lack of c&p was for the same reason.

I think the v1 release of WP7 lacks multi-tasking and raw sockets for the same reason as well.

For example. The "lazy" way to implement, lets say, a stock price alert application using traditional PC orientated methods would be to have the application run in the background polling the server for data, then when an alert occurs presenting that data in a copy and paste aware form to the user.

The correct "mobile" way to write the application is to register the alert with the push notification server, then when the push notification occurs present the data to the user in a way that can interact with the base functions of the phone (i.e. send to email, sms, save to the cloud or post to Facebook/Twitter).

Obviously c&p, multi-tasking and raw sockets are all essentially functionality for a modern smart phone, and Microsoft will have to include them at some point.

I tend to think, at this point at least, the trade off of an improved user experience is worth the lack of functionality at this time. If 12 months go by without an update I might not be so reasonable though
  • Reply 72 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gooddog View Post

Help me out here,

A dark creepy mirage approaches me, from the East, across the sand dunes, and it says it is a revolution, in Arabic looking font, with Arabic sounding music track ... right?

Am I supposed to identify?

Am I supposed to spit up my grits and call the boys to lock and load? ...

Oh! I am supposed to buy an iPhone knock-off !!!!

Now I get it ! Eddy Bernais would be proud

Ok, here is some help. Real simple. But first, I have to ask, how old are you and have you ever seen the film.

So here you go.

1. The teaser was shown at a special showing of the movie Lawrence of Arabia. The movie debuted in 1962, and is 5th on the AFI's list of top 100 films. It is AFI's #1 epic film of all time.

2. Here is the link to the imdb summary of the film.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0056172/plotsummary

3. The desert scene, on which the commercial is based, is one of the most famous in film history, and is in the ranks of "rosebud" and "frankly my dear . . "

Given 1, 2, and 3, the commercial was a bit of targeted advertising aimed at a specific audience.

Is that sufficient help?
  • Reply 73 of 172
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Obviously, performance and stability is an unknown as the new windows mobile OS isn't final yet, but I have to say that this is a very good looking interface - intuitive, very clean, nice fonts and some very good features in the mail client that are, frankly, better than on either android or iOS.

Am I alone in thinking iOS looks a little dated and cluttered. Been looking at some very good youtube comparisons, starting point below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wblCTPMcmAM

Anyone who watches that video and doesn't genuinely believe that windows mobile mail handling is better than iOS, really has been on the apple juice.

Not criticising apple, but it is time to up the ante, this is genuinely going to leave the iOS looking like a poor second cousin in terms of aesthetic and functionality.
  • Reply 74 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Their font choices are bad and the navigation is not intuitive as there are no visual indicators about where off-screen content is nor how much of it there is.

The font is clear, modern and easy to read. I'm not sure what the issue is with that. The main font problem I see is the over-sized titles. Sure it looks pretty, but it also uses up about 20% of the limited screen real-estate on the phone.

The main screen and application list lack scroll indicators. I don't think the list launcher will work well with 50 applications installed, but then again neither does iOS. My iPhone is pretty bare and everything sits on the main page (with a games and utils folder) but with the iPad I've resorted to using search to launch an application that isn't on the main page, and WP7 will work much the same way.

Everywhere else there seems to be indicators. The "text off the screen" method doesn't seem to be a particularly intuitive way to indicate there is more content, but then again click-the-icon-until-it-wiggles-if-you-want-to-move-or-delete-it isn't particularity intuitive either... sometimes the most intuitive way to do things needs to take a back seat to the most functional way to do them.

If you watch this email client comparison you should realize why there is a certain amount of interest in WP7 (especially compared to the Android UI).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

The advantage to this is they support devices with different screen resolutions but we'll see how that fragmentation works out for them.

I thought the screen resolution was locked to 800 by 480, at least for v1?
  • Reply 75 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post

I can't be the only one chuckling at a Microsoft ad that employs a mirage to announce its forthcoming Revolution.

You have obviously never seen the movie. If you had, you would understand the brilliance of the commercial, even if you do not like MS

To simplify things, in the movie, Lawrence went back into the desert to save some laggards who could not make it through - the laggards were going to die. Everyone assumed Lawerence was nuts, and that he would die in the desert. In other words, everyone thought it was game over for Lawrence.

Pretty much everyone on this board, and many in the press, feel the same way about MS.

However, Lawrence comes out of the desert, having rescued the people (this is the scene in the commercial). He overcame the odds, proved everyone wrong, and succeeded in the face of the widespread belief that he was a goner.

MS is saying the same - they have returned, in spite of what everyone may think or write, and they will prove everyone wrong.

Heck, MS may be wrong, they may blow it, and it may be too late, but nonetheless, this was a smart piece of commercial making, if one has seen the movie.
  • Reply 76 of 172
    Yep. iOS needs to update their mail app pretty quickly. I like the look of the iOS mail app better, but the WinPhone7 mail app features are better, IMHO.

And I actually think it was a cool marketing idea at the beginning of a screening of the movie.

And I'm an Apple fan boy.
  • Reply 77 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

Obviously, performance and stability is an unknown as the new windows mobile OS isn't final yet, but I have to say that this is a very good looking interface - intuitive, very clean, nice fonts and some very good features in the mail client that are, frankly, better than on either android or iOS.

Although I do agree that video demonstrates the WP7 email client very well I'm hesitant to call it "better" at the moment because it's missing a few key features (e.g. combined inbox and server based search). I do think it illustrates why a number of people are interested in WP7.

I also think it's a very enterprise\\business orientated email client. Most non-business like folk would be wondering what "flagged" and "urgent" emails are and why they are given the same amount of attention as "read" and "unread".

The email client, along with the Office and SharePoint integration is why I think WP7 poses more of a risk to RIM than Apple or Google. Have a look at this Blackberry 6.0 / WP7 comparison. If my choice was between those two I know what I would go with.

The email client comparison video you posted is actually a part of a series:
  • Reply 78 of 172
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MadGoat View Post

I don't see anything revolutionary about their UI .. it looks absolutely terrible

I disagree. They are doing something different rather than copying what has been established. For that alone I love WP7 and want to give it a try. They also seem set to do a better job than Android.

I'm gonna get me an iPod touch, my next smartphone could very well be running WP7. I'm no Apple- hater or Microsoft fan, I just like buying gadgets and trying new stuff.
  • Reply 79 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

My Dad worked with IBM mainframes and I had no interest in what he did. It was Greek to me. The first time in my life I ever used any computer was a Mac Plus back in 1986. It was at a college where I was working at the time. I asked to play with it and someone said, "go ahead, you'll figure it out." I sat alone in that room and five hours later came up for air to realize that the sun had gone down and everyone had left. I just plain got sucked into to the world of that OS and was lost in it. The best word I have ever found to describe that first experience was . . . magical.

Here's the deal - sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic - Arthur C Clarke

Now the key phrase here is sufficiently advanced - if apple keeps creating the newest UX and best then they can IMHO call it magic - and we all know that magic comes from the root magi - who were the three wise men. One of those three, if you pull back the hood, you'd discover the ancestor of Steve Jobs and in the manger is a jesus phone!
  • Reply 80 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iCarbon View Post

Holy crap! I can't even begin to imagine who greenlighted that graphic!

talk about a waste of money...

Ah, it will be exciting to watch the creative attempts, while hilarious to watch Microsoft flush half a billion down the toilet.