Microsoft begins Windows Phone 7 media blitz with new teaser ad

Comments

• Reply 81 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

The movie was made in 1962 and the scene is one of the most famous in the history of cinema.

And how many of the Windowsphone demographic are familiar with film history? Let alone something from almost 50 years ago?

Come on, you've obviously given up even trying to *appear* unbiased.
  • Reply 82 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

You too, huh? I was holding out for full-frontal though

Now that would be magical.
  • Reply 83 of 172
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

Anyone who watches that video and doesn't genuinely believe that windows mobile mail handling is better than iOS, really has been on the apple juice.

I looked at the video and the first impression is, surprisingly, WP7 UI looks lifeless compared to iOS and Android. It should be the contrary but it's not.

I don't know why "unread" flag is so important to the reviewer but I never use it, so don't care for it.

Microsoft always gives more option in their interface. That also makes it unnecssarily more complicated.

The only strange thing about iOS email is you can not attach picture when in e-mail. I hope next version has file system so we can get rid of this shortcoming.
  • Reply 84 of 172
    nealgnealg Posts: 132member
    Liked the concept of the ad, but for whatever reason, didn't like the implementation. Maybe if MSFT has a more modern representation of riding in to save the day it might be more effective.

Also, the little bit of the phone that I saw had the same tiling stuff that I saw as part of the kin phone which I didn't like the look of before. For MSFT's sake, hopefully they will implement it well. I will take a look at it when it comes out and see what the feel of their new os but the MSFT disadvantage is the fact that there are a lot of people that are familiar with iOS and Android and like what they have so it may be difficult to get them to switch. MSFT needs to do something to attract people away from what they are used to as well as attract those that haven't taken the plunge into smart phone usage yet. I didn't see anything in the ad that was remotely interesting so hopefully the next ad will be better.

Neal
  • Reply 85 of 172
    Something that works from MS, indeed a mirage.

I really believe that their marketing department deeply know the real value of their company.

Or would have someone at MS showed some form of self mocking irony ?\
  • Reply 86 of 172
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MetroRip View Post

This has "Kin" written all over it.

I was just thinking, how long before someone creates a Kin spoof of this ad?

Just swap the phone for a Kin... and reverse... disappearing in a puff of smoke.
  • Reply 87 of 172
    Why did the heat-haze suddenly vanish? Completely threw me.
  • Reply 88 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

But Windows Phone has neither (nor do they have Flash, but I am okay with that). WTH are people simply ignoring all those articles screaming about lack of multitasking/copy-paste on a phone coming out now, 3 years after the original iPhone and many months after the iPhone already has those, as well as a well entrenched, and popular App Store?

Wait until some phones are reviewed. Those things are likely to be highlighted.
  • Reply 89 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

The best word I have ever found to describe that first experience was . . . magical.

Crack open a thesaurus. There are better descriptions available. How about hypnotic? Fascinating? Compelling? Intriguing? Enthralling? Absorbing?

Or magical. But only if you like using words that way.
  • Reply 90 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jon T View Post

On the cut and paste issue, all of us who defended the lack of it, will indeed bash the WinFon7 for it because it was made out to be a massive issue then

That is very childish.
  • Reply 91 of 172
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:

Do you like magical better? That one disgusts me.

Arthur C. Clarke formulated the following three "laws" of prediction:

1. When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he is probably wrong.

2. The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.

3. Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Using number 3 and given that a majority of folks do not have an understanding of how electricity is generated much less how a collection of electronic parts achieves everything that an iPhone does - it is essentially a Magic device.

Using number 2 is what Apple is good at - MS tends to go too far into that realm.

Using number 1 indicates that some caution is warranted - just because we have all seen MS produce a number of failures doesn't mean they are incapable of success.
  • Reply 92 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iCarbon View Post

Holy crap! I can't even begin to imagine who greenlighted that graphic!

talk about a waste of money...

Microsoft got so much money, they don't bother to be picky on how to spend.
  • Reply 93 of 172
    Quote:

IMO, at least two things:

No multitasking.

Lock-in to the Microsoft App Store.

These two things make it a non-starter for me.

NO multitasking? Seriously? :O
  • Reply 94 of 172
    "Windowsphone7" is a really awkward name. Compare that to someone who has an "iPhone" or a "Droid." Hey, what's that new phone you have? It's a Windowsphone7. Um, yeah, okay. Doesn't really roll off the tongue.

Maybe MS could try something shorter and snappier, like, oh, say, Kin. Or WindowsKin7. WinKin7.

Even BlackBerry has names like the Pearl, Torch, Storm, etc. Is "Windowsphone7" really the brand they're going to try to push?
  • Reply 95 of 172
    Wow, what a piece of garbage. What a waste of 30-second. You need to grab people right away. I'll watch an ad, but I was grabbing the scrubber the fast forward to get to the point.

Now, let me address the more sensitive part of this. Someone is sure to take me wrong, maybe someone else brought this up... but the overall cultural sensitivity to the region in which is themed in this ad is not really very strong right now. Even if it is a subliminal dislike OR distrust. I'm not sure I would be linking a product to this theme at this point and time.
  • Reply 96 of 172
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    So who was the target audience for this ad? A rider coming out of blurry desert with suspenseful music does not exactly produce warm and fuzzy feelings. At least android appealed to the techy side of me. I guess is better then Sinefeld but then again just about anything is.
  • Reply 97 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MetroRip View Post

Son, please read my previous response. I am aware that it was run during Lawrence of Arabia, but are you as short-sighted as Microsoft that you would think it would only run in that screening room? When it gets posted online it makes no sense to the viewer, especially the younger viewers who are most likely the people who they want to buy the phone. Wake up, Kurt Cobain is dead, the nineties happened already, it's a whole new millennium. That's the problem with Microsoft, they still think they are in their heyday.

Why not run it during a tech heavy movie or sci-fi movie? Wouldn't that make more sense?

Microsoft, throw $500 million my way. I'll put you on the right track. I've quit the advertising game already, but for that much scratch I would reconsider.

Thanks Addabox, you clearly understand it's Brie time baby, these guys are still dreaming about Gorgonzola.

i wish it would have shown more of the phone, but i liked what i saw. the notion of something you can't quite makeout coming out of the desert and then becoming clear its the phone isn't terrible.

face it, you wouldn't say you liked ANY add that ms came up with....
  • Reply 98 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jrandersoniii View Post

Wow, what a piece of garbage. What a waste of 30-second. You need to grab people right away. I'll watch an ad, but I was grabbing the scrubber the fast forward to get to the point.

Now, let me address the more sensitive part of this. Someone is sure to take me wrong, maybe someone else brought this up... but the overall cultural sensitivity to the region in which is themed in this ad is not really very strong right now. Even if it is a subliminal dislike OR distrust. I'm not sure I would be linking a product to this theme at this point and time.

maybe if they had jesus christ being flogged and the roman soldier stops to answer his phone 7 then goes back to flogging. that would be funny and tie into the dumb@$$ american mentality?

that better?

amerika, home of the ignorant.
  • Reply 99 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

So who was the target audience for this ad? A rider coming out of blurry desert with suspenseful music does not exactly produce warm and fuzzy feelings. At least android appealed to the techy side of me. I guess is better then Sinefeld but then again just about anything is.

you need to understand secret cinema and its theme for this showing. that is what it was intended for. not appleinsider.
  • Reply 100 of 172
    Ad was blah, other than I really liked the remix of the theme music.

It is a revolution for Windows Mobile, but not for phones in general as iOS, Andriod and WebOS beat it by years.