Android gaining on Apple iOS in mobile web market share

Comments

• Reply 321 of 348
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iBill View Post

Maybe you're the fangirl Bettie..

I happen to agree that the largest draw for Android is that iPhone is only available on ATT.

Agree with who?

And how do you explain the good sales in other countries, where the iPhone is available on multiple carriers?
  • Reply 322 of 348
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Firstly Android is a platform. The iPhone is a device, the iOS is a platform. Ignoring the iPad for now, we cant ignore the iPod Touch - which sells about as many as the iPhone per average quarter.

Why would you compare Android phone sales to MP3 Player sales? You say "we can't ignore the iPod Touch". When we are discussing phones, why can't we ignore a PMP?
  • Reply 323 of 348

After watching an iPad commercial, i bought Star Walk...

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/star-...363486802?mt=8

You gotta' see this app-- you have the night skies, all the planets and constellations at your fingertips...

Your own personal galaxy... it is truly magical.

Screw content creation vs content consumption... this is the thrill of exploration, discovery, and all that, that brings.

Here is a $5 app that will pay for the iPad many times over...

IMO, this validates the iPad platform (and those that follow), vs the computers of today,

Step out into the night at Kitt Peak, Griffith Park, or in the hot tub, back in your own back yard.

The universe is your playground...

I can visualize no better way to do this...

This is Archimedes lever...

Sorry, I am excited!

• Reply 324 of 348
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

Why would you compare Android phone sales to MP3 Player sales? You say "we can't ignore the iPod Touch". When we are discussing phones, why can't we ignore a PMP?

Look at the title of this thread-- we aren't discussing phones, we're discussing Android vs iOS on the mobile web.

It's not Apple's fault that Android (currently) addresses this market with only one type of device (phones) while Apple addresses it with phones, iPods, and Tablets!

• Reply 325 of 348
    Removed-- duplicate
  • Reply 326 of 348
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grking View Post

Look, I love my iPhone, MPB and iMac, but the assumption that Android and Blackberry users are

1. Poor

2. Cheap

3. Stupid

or some combination of the 3 is simply wrong. As difficult as it may be for some here to believe or perhaps comprehend, people do knowingly purchase other smart phones even if they could easily purchase an iPhone if they wanted.

I don't know who you are addressing; has anyone said that? Of the friends who chose Android, about half are Apple-haters and would simply never buy Apple anything, including the ubiquitous iPod, no matter how good it is (in general, they're just harboring old prejudices, and aren't giving Apple a fair shake, IMO). Some of these friends are Microsoft fans and have expressed interest in the Windows Phone alternative to iPhone. The other half would buy Apple, but don't want to sign up with AT&T, and are holding out hope that iPhone exclusivity will end in the US. I think there will always be a market for iPhone alternatives. I just don't know the size of that market, because Apple has limited themselves to AT&T. But since more people want to switch from Android to iPhone (when carrier exclusivity ends) than the other way around, Apple still has room to grow, so the final market percentages have not fallen into place.

And none of these reasons for choosing Android requires anyone making uninformed choices or being poor or stupid!
  • Reply 327 of 348
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I don't know who you are addressing; has anyone said that? Of the friends who chose Android, about half are Apple-haters and would simply never buy Apple anything, including the ubiquitous iPod, no matter how good it is (in general, they're just harboring old prejudices, and aren't giving Apple a fair shake, IMO). Some of these friends are Microsoft fans and have expressed interest in the Windows Phone alternative to iPhone. The other half would buy Apple, but don't want to sign up with AT&T, and are holding out hope that iPhone exclusivity will end in the US. I think there will always be a market for iPhone alternatives. I just don't know the size of that market, because Apple has limited themselves to AT&T. But since more people want to switch from Android to iPhone (when carrier exclusivity ends) than the other way around, Apple still has room to grow, so the final market percentages have not fallen into place.

And none of these reasons for choosing Android requires anyone making uninformed choices or being poor or stupid!

throughout this thread are multiple statements that Android occupies the low end (hence the cheap or poor) and regarding how horrible the Android phones are (hence the stupid).
  • Reply 328 of 348
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I bought my first shares of AAPL in 2003 for $17 a share. Today, each of those shares is worth $517.54 (after split)-- over 3,000% appreciation.

It seems that AAPL has rewarded its shareholders, including, pension funds, etc.

I believe that the standard, prudent advice is that you should probably sell some of your shares to cash in some of your profits. What proportion of your shares should you sell? It's up to you to decide.

No one can predict with accuracy the date of death of Steve Jobs or the date of his retirement, but death is a certainty and the liver transplant of Steve Jobs is a matter of public record. Prudent investors never deny facts or reality. Good luck and congratulations for your profits on paper. Make them a reality.

• Reply 329 of 348
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Look at the title of this thread-- we aren't discussing phones, we're discussing Android vs iOS on the mobile web.

It's not Apple's fault that Android (currently) addresses this market with only one type of device (phones) while Apple addresses it with phones, iPods, and Tablets!

This argument will become a double-edged sword soon. The Android tablets are coming and there are a few MP3 players using it too, so hopefully future numbers like these will take that into account and will be a bit more "balanced".

Question I have is what happens when Android starts showing up in all kinds of kitchen appliances and home media devices? Will the usual people who call these numbers "FUD" and "skewed" continue to do so if the analysis starts counting those appliances too?
  • Reply 330 of 348
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

This argument will become a double-edged sword soon. The Android tablets are coming and there are a few MP3 players using it too, so hopefully future numbers like these will take that into account and will be a bit more "balanced".

Question I have is what happens when Android starts showing up in all kinds of kitchen appliances and home media devices? Will the usual people who call these numbers "FUD" and "skewed" continue to do so if the analysis starts counting those appliances too?

If they can run most apps, sure. If not, who cares. If Android 1.2 is on a kitchen appliance and the appliance has no access to the app market it doesnt matter.

In terms of installed base of it's latest iOS Apple are way ahead of Android. That will continue. Most counter arguments ignore the touch, the iPad, and the carrier restrictions in the US - the only reason for Android's gain.

The iOS is a bigger development environment. We are just going around in circles arguing anything else.
  • Reply 331 of 348
    Quote:

Same OS. The title of this thead is

Android (OS) gaining on Apple iOS( OS) in mobile web market share.

So we compare OSes, not devices.
  • Reply 332 of 348
    Quote:

Wow. Who do you hang with?

The only time these topics come up around my place is when someone has a MBP with a good movie on it, but it won't hook up the the TV like any other computer.

Only then does the topic of electronics manufacturers come up.

Do you guys sit around discussng Sony vs. Panasonic vs. Samsung too?

Lol.

No most people on this site are Apple fans. Have a look at the name. In real life I dont recommend Apple to anybody as it may incur a unwanted technical role. And, APple dont pay me.

BUT, this is an Apple site. APPLEinsider.

Get it?
  • Reply 333 of 348
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

If they can run most apps, sure. If not, who cares. If Android 1.2 is on a kitchen appliance and the appliance has no access to the app market it doesnt matter.

In terms of installed base of it's latest iOS Apple are way ahead of Android. That will continue. Most counter arguments ignore the touch, the iPad, and the carrier restrictions in the US - the only reason for Android's gain.

The iOS is a bigger development environment. We are just going around in circles arguing anything else.

I don't see many items running Android (production or concept) that doesn't allow the use of apps in some way. While things like toasters probably wouldn't make sense having an internet connection, I don't see why others like a fridge couldn't have a wireless connection to look up recipes, news, weather, or have a digital white board that you can update while you're out. Just speculations on my part.

The other thing that I believe will eventually help Android is on the TV side. Sony will embed Android into some of their new TVs, Google TV is due to be released this fall, and now Samsung has also decided to jump onto the bandwagon. While it's still yet to be determined how successful Android in a TV will be, having trusted, major TV players like Sony, Logitech and Samsung behind it will help. If this takes off, it will take off big, since a TV is something we all have in our homes.

At the moment, yes, iOS is a bigger development environment, but as long as Android continues on the path it's on, it will catch up on the overall scale.

For the record, a few of the other recent analysis by these third-party companies do make note that they are gathering data for smartphones only but still uses the title "Android vs. iOS". Then comes along the die-hard Apple fan with the counter arguments to these analysis on the same basis that it doesn't include iPod/iPad numbers and should be considered FUD. All I'm saying here (and I think you'd agree) is that we should read what the analysis' data is comprised of before jumping to conclusions.
  • Reply 334 of 348
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Since Android is the Os for many hardware manufactures, this trend is going to continue unless Apples keep selling more iDevices than all other decices combine, which I don?t think doable.

BUT, has long has iOS has plenty of apps, this wont be a problem. It could become a problem if iOS gets below 10% and Android gets above 50%, in which case maybe some sites and dev won?t be so eager to make iOS apps.
  • Reply 335 of 348
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Since Android is the Os for many hardware manufactures, this trend is going to continue unless Apples keep selling more iDevices than all other decices combine, which I don’t think doable.

BUT, has long has iOS has plenty of apps, this wont be a problem. It could become a problem if iOS gets below 10% and Android gets above 50%, in which case maybe some sites and dev won’t be so eager to make iOS apps.

Why not?

the automatic assumption that you win because you have more manufacturers is not proven in this market. This is not the PC market, Nokia and RIM were dominant before the iPhone came in - in terms of market share both are down but not out. They are not really app phones at the moment, imo, but nevertheless they dominated before the iPhone. The manufacturers carrying Windows did not. Windows was licensed.

all you need to do is have a large product line, and a brand and be on all carriers.

Everything is made in a few factories in China anyway - this is not the Eighties where the Apple made use of in-house non-standard components ( the A4 is available to Samsung) and manufactured in their own factories; so APple wont have the supply issues and higher costs. The iPad is cheaper than the Galaxy Tab, the iPhones are competitive in price with similarly specced Android phones, and the iPod touches are a steal for what you get. In fact Apple are holding onto higher margins on the iPhone, but they can go lower, as the iPod shows. Eventually they will. And on the iPad too.

I see them positioning the 3GS as their cheap smart phone device. In a year or so it will be free on mid-range contracts.

Interesing post on margins here:

http://seekingalpha.com/article/2240...s?source=yahoo
  • Reply 336 of 348
    here is what google's CEO said on IFA

Google CEO Eric Schmidt has used his IFA 2010 closing keynote to promise Google TV?s US launch in the fall, as well as confirming that users will be able to turn not only their Android phones but their iPhone into a remote control for the media-streaming set top boxes. Schmidt also revealed that there are more than 200,000 Android activations recorded every day, a figure that falls short of the 230,000 iOS device activations Steve Jobs reported last week.

http://www.slashgear.com/google-tv-c...midt-07101147/
  • Reply 337 of 348
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Since Android is the Os for many hardware manufactures, this trend is going to continue unless Apples keep selling more iDevices than all other decices combine, which I don?t think doable.

BUT, has long has iOS has plenty of apps, this wont be a problem. It could become a problem if iOS gets below 10% and Android gets above 50%, in which case maybe some sites and dev won?t be so eager to make iOS apps.

Its not the number of manufacturers. Nothing from HTC or Motorola has been especially innovative to differentiate their phones from the iPhone. If a bigger screen or a slightly higher megapixal camera floats your boat, then go for one of their phones, but I don't think that is what is swaying most people to Android phones. And Apple has managed to keep the (retail) price of the iPhone the same, even though the price they charge to the carriers is higher, so that's not the reason. Its the carrier, and as long as the iPhone is only on AT&T, Apple will continue to lose marketshare to Android.
  • Reply 338 of 348
    Quote:

Duh is right. Every manufacturer could like it, but that does not matter one bit.

The reason why Android is gaining market share is because consumers are buying Android devices faster and faster, certainly at a much faster rate than iOS devices. Fewer relevant consumers are buying iOS devices compared to greater numbers of relevant consumers buying Android devices.

These things are not mysterious. The rate of consumer purchases determines market share on a dynamic basis. The installed consumer base compared to competitors determines the static market share.

The reasons for market share are consumer buying habits, and not what manufacturers "like".

I have read a number of your posts, and as a general rule, they are argumentative and contrived. What is your purpose?

The post to which I had responded asserted that people bought Android for precisely two reasons: firesales and the fact that on Verizon, you cannot buy Apple. I was merely pointing out that that perspective was missing the more obvious and more certain fact that the popularity of Android is strongly correlated to the quantity of different manufacturers that sell phones that use Andoid as the OS. It seemed like a perfectly reasonable thing to do.

But then you come along and start yapping at my heels like some sort of little Chihuahua. You wrote, "These things are not mysterious", and then you proceeded into something that just barely managed to make any sense at all. This is blatantly arrogant and insulting.

Before you reached that point, you wrote, "Every manufacturer could like it, but that does not matter one bit."

This is patently false, and your entire position is nothing more than a goofy contrivance. As long as there is a meaningful correlation between the number of manufacturers who sell phones using a particular OS and the market share of that OS, then the number of manufacturers who like it is entirely relevant. In the given context, "like it" means selling a product that uses that OS, and this would be obvious to any person who thinks in any reasonable manner.

Your whole argument is nothing more than a goofy contrivance, worded in a horrifically arrogant and insulting style. You have taken up a quarrel with nearly half of the other people who have posted anything here. What exactly is your purpose? To piss off as many people as you possibly can? Whatever it is that you think that you are accomplishing, all you are really doing is causing other people to think that you are an arrogant something-or-other who does not really have much at all to offer and who isn't possessed of a particularly high level of intelligence or reasoning capacity.
  • Reply 339 of 348
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

A common misunderstanding by people who don't understand Apple and think they are just another company. How much cash is Apple sitting on? When was the last time they paid a stock dividend? Apple is not beholden to their investors like so many other companies. Because they have no debt, they have far less interest in propping up their stock price as other companies do. Simply put, Apple is not about maximizing shareholder profits.

And yet Apple manages to maintain a 70+% market share in portable music devices without licensing the iPod OS. And perhaps you are unfamiliar with how disastrous licensing the Mac OS was for Apple?

Your reasoning makes no sense. Return on investment is not defined purely by the payment of dividends. That you would imply this is preposterous. There are lots of companies that doe not routinely pay dividends, if at all, but people still buy the stock in the expectation of getting a return on their investment. Your argument is nonsensical.

And as for the last part of your post, it has nothing to do with what I said or what the original poster had said. I certainly never said anything along the lines that Apple ought to license iOS. It never ceases to boggle my mind how people on these forums will repudiate something that was never actually said by the person that they are ostensibly repudiating. Sheesh. What rock do you people crawl out from under?
  • Reply 340 of 348
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

I didn't mean it as an argument-- just to correct the OP that the thread was discussing OSes not devices.'

I am all for discussing the benefits and popularity of A vs B-- but I don't think it makes sense to arbitrarily skew the comparison one way or another, e.g., these would seem to be valid and useful comparisons:

-- Usage/popularity/avg price of All Android phones vs All iOS phones

-- Usage/popularity/features/price of phone A vs phone B

-- Usage/popularity across all devices, of Android OS vs iOS vs Win Mobil OS vs WebOS...

At present, Apple has an advantage in the latter comparison because its iOS runs on more different types of devices. I expect this to change as other OSes will be used on new types of devices coming in the near future,

I do not think it valid or useful to make comparisons like:

-- All Android phones vs iOS across all devices

-- All iPhones vs all devices Running Android OS (or any OS)

I understand that Android OS (and to some degree, WinMobile, WebOS, etc.) will, likely, be used on other devices from MP3 players, Tablets to Set Top Boxes.

What I don't know is how adaptable these OSes are to other non-phone devices. Consider, Apple was not able to just move iOS from the phone to the iPad. They decided that it was necessary to temporarily fork iOS to add APIs and frameworks to support the larger screen size -- the iPad was announced in January, and started shipping in April. The iPad will be upgraded in November to use the same iOS as the other iDevices. That means that, for whatever reasons, it has taken Apple almost 11 months to incorporate iPad capabilities into their mainstream iOS.

It's more than just screen size-- many apps need to be redesigned to exploit the additional real estate.

For example, Apple's Mail and Calendar apps on the iPad are completely different than the same app on an iPhone, the web (Mobile Me), or even a Mac. There is more information, and it is displayed differently-- the app is a different app than other implementations. New APIs and Frameworks were added to iOS to make this possible.

I don't know enough about Android to know if this is an issue affecting its use on tablets-- though I have read a few comments that it is (or may be).

I don't have any citations or links (I will try to find some and update this post). But I read sometime, in the last few days, an article about an upcoming Android tablet-- the Samsung, I think. Noteworthy was the claimed advantage, that the mfgr. had decided that a better UI was required for the mail app on the tablet-- and that they had written their own UI similar to the iPad mail app.

Apple thought it necessary to fork iPad iOS for 11 months to make it robust enough to support this new class of device.

An honest question: has Google found the need to do the same with Android?

Finally, I agree that we will, likely, see Android (and other OSes) in home media devices. But, I am less sure that there is a need for this class of OS in a kitchen appliance (refrigerator, oven, etc.) or even in HVAC, lighting or home security.

For these "home appliances" it may be more logical to have the appliance contain a small dedicated controller/sensor hub that can interface the appliance to a more robust central hub running a more general OS. Do I really want the fridge to keep track of its contents and maintain a shopping list, budget spreadsheet, etc.

Rather, it makes more sense to do this on the combination of a personal computer/set top box/mobile device:

1) I create/update my shopping list on my computer or what ever mobile device is handy and sync to all

2) I Samba through the supermarket, checking off items on my mobile, as I drop them in my basket.

3) I ChaCha up to the checkout where the sales are rung up.

4) I Bump my mobile with the checkout terminal-- it gets my payment, I get a detailed electronic receipt (including "Use By Date" on perishables.

5) Once home, I Fandango up to the Fridge and restock it and the Pantry

6) I Mambo up to my Mac and Bump my receipt into it,

All is good! My computer, and every device synced or within WiFi range; knows what I have, where it is, how much it cost, when to use it.

Then I Danza up to the Display (or mobile) in my kitchen -- it suggest recipes based on recent meals, ingredient availability, "Use By Date", etc.

With a few quick Tango steps I Tap each ingredient as I use it-- removing it from stock.

The Lambada handles the Leftovers!

Seriously, I don't really think I need a TV or a computer in my refrigerator. Why? I can buy an iPad, or similar device, probably for less money... and it is portable and more flexible. Same reason I don't buy an entertainment system for the car!