First-ever Macworld Mobile to be held at 2011 Mobile World Congress

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
The biggest mobile trade show in the world, the Mobile World Congress, will host the first-ever Macworld Mobile next February in Barcelona, Spain.

The new Macworld Mobile will be focused on developers who create applications for the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch. The event is scheduled for Feb. 14-17, 2011, in Barcelona.

GSMA, the organization that puts on the annual Mobile World Congress, has partnered with IDG World Expo, organizers of Macworld, for the event, which will focus exclusively on software developed for iOS devices. The developer conference will offer technical sessions, targeting tools and applications.

"We're excited to bring Macworld Mobile to Mobile World Congress," said Mary Dolaher, chief executive officer of IDG World Expo. "Macworld is known around the world for helping to drive and stimulate the Apple products community with educational programs and business development activities. At Mobile World Congress, we will help international iOS developers to strengthen their skills, as well as facilitate connections with other developers and the worldwide audience of mobile decision makers who attend."

This year's Mobile World Congress saw the introduction of "App Planet," its first-developer focused portion of the show. The success of the 2010 program inspired the GSMA to expand it for next year's event.

"App Planet proved to be a stunning success in its debut this year at Mobile World Congress, demonstrating the tremendous demand for in-depth content, networking and business development opportunities and information on the cutting-edge technologies and solutions in the mobile application space," said Michael O'Hara, chief marketing officer, GSMA. "The developments we are announcing today, particularly the launch of Macworld Mobile which will target the critical Apple developer community, will serve to make App Planet and Mobile World Congress the epicenter for the app world."

In addition, Apple competitors Research in Motion and Palm were also named as partners for next year's App Planet.

Keynote speakers for the 2011 Mobile World Congress include Randall Stephenson, CEO of AT&T, as well as Eric Schmidt, chief executive of Google.

In years past, the iPhone has dominated the MWC despite the fact that Apple itself has never participated in the congress. This year, officials with the trade show noted they would love to have Apple take part, but the company rarely participates in events they do not put on themselves.

Apple even stopped participating in the Macworld Expo in 2009, noting that trade shows had become a "very minor part" of the company's business strategy. Even without Apple, the show went on in 2010.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

I wonder what changed? Is this another sign that Apple is now a Mobile Device company instead of a computer company?

I think it has more to do with Apple simply growing out of them. Trade shows can only draw so many people. As the company gets bigger, that fixed amount of people make less and less of an impact on their ever growing bottom line.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    Macworld without Macs? Looks like they're going to have to start thinking about a new name.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    Quote:

I wonder what changed? Is this another sign that Apple is now a Mobile Device company instead of a computer company?

Those two are the same thing.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:

Nothing has changed, where is said that Apple will attend this event?

The constant pathetic cries of "Apple has abandoned the mac for iOS" are nonsense. It sounds like the spoiled ranting of a little child who has a little brother or sister introduced to the family. Do learn to share!
  • Reply 5 of 17
    Apple is aiming for the kill finally, it is a very good step to achieve dominance and also create and expand relationship in that part of the world!
  • Reply 6 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Actually they used to be two very different things, but now, yes, they're the same thing. Your phone or iPad is a small computer.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    Quote:

Exactly. Don't understand the silly refrain that we get here from time to time.

News flash for the whiners: 'Computers' are not what you grew up with! Get used to it.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    Quote:

Precisely! And on top of that, I've always thought of my MacBook Pro as being a mobile computer seeing as how it goes almost everywhere I go.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:

Apple is a consumer electronics company, they dropped computer from their name a while back. That doesn't mean they are not a computer company though, it just means they make more than just computers.

FYI: Apple considers their laptops to be mobile devices, at least when they want to claim to be the largest producer of mobile devices.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

Apple is a consumer electronics company, they dropped computer from their name a while back. That doesn't mean they are not a computer company though, it just means they make more than just computers.

FYI: Apple considers their laptops to be mobile devices, at least when they want to claim to be the largest producer of mobile devices.

Don't feed the troll. Judging by the similarity in posts, I'd say "TechStud" has another nick.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Don't feed the troll. Judging by the similarity in posts, I'd say "TechStud" has another nick.

Was just thinking the same thing. Seems to have reverted to his original persona.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    Quote:

Nope it's a sign Apple are diversifying.

You have a problem with that?
  • Reply 13 of 17
    Quote:

Was thinking the same myself.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:

From my perspective, his comment in this thread wasn't that troll like, and some people seem genuinely concerned that Apple will forget about its mac lineup, especially when product revisions are few and far between.

tekstud was a long time ago. I've given up trying to identify banned trolls under new usernames.

Looking at this thread though, his post did derail this conversation.

I think it's great that there will be a Macworld Mobile. It shows how much Apples product offerings have diversified. I think it's about time that WWDC divided into two as well, or at least lasted longer and featured two keynotes on different days. I find it hard to believe that iPhone 5 and Mac OS 10.7 can be housed under the same roof and presented in the same presentation.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zweben View Post

I think it has more to do with Apple simply growing out of them. Trade shows can only draw so many people. As the company gets bigger, that fixed amount of people make less and less of an impact on their ever growing bottom line.

I agree 100% ... in fact, anyone who watched the presentation last week will recall Steve saying that the retail stores combined, reach 1 million customers a day , several times a month now .... that's in a dedicated Mac store with Apple's own employees handling the enquiries, all with no extra expense. That seems like a no brainer to me ... stay with the stores, forget the trade shows.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Dude's been working it pretty hard too, with 5-10 posts in a row in many threads, or close to 50% of every post in some threads.

The quicker people edit their ignore lists the quicker it goes away.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zweben View Post

Macworld without Macs? Looks like they're going to have to start thinking about a new name.

iOSWorld?