Getting rid of 2500+ dupes in iTunes

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I just upgraded from XP to Windows 7. In the process of reinstalling iTunes, it managed to create duplicates of every song. I can obviously click Show Duplicates, but there must be 2500 of them, and since this is from an install of iTunes, they all have the same Date Created and Date Modified, so screening them that way won't really work. Outside of uninstalling and reinstalling iTunes (and hoping my license is re-recognized for my purchases), any ideas on how to clean up this mess? Also, the default location for my iTunes library doesn't seem to have my music in it. Wierd!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    The "Display Duplicates" and "Display Exact Duplicates" options in the File menu aren't good enough?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The "Display Duplicates" and "Display Exact Duplicates" options in the File menu aren't good enough?

I clicked "Show Duplicates", but didn't see "show exact duplicates". It shows pairs of the exact same songs...same title, creation date, etc. iTunes somehow imported two copies of my entire library. The other strange thing is when I go to the default location where iTunes says it stores my songs, the folders don't contain my music. I'm about to just un-install/re-install, but trying to avoid doing that if not necessary.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Download iTunes 10, then.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Then what?
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aflaaak View Post

Then what?

Try both out. I assume you have?
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Try both out. I assume you have?

Thanks... yes, I was using iTunes 10, though I didn't see "Exact Duplicates".I found that there was an old copy of my iTunes library within the main My Music folder, along with my current one, so iTunes "chose" both when it built my Library. Uninstalled and reinstalled iTunes, much eisier than messing with deleting duplicates songs by one.