Android gaining on Apple iOS in mobile web market share

1121314151618»

Comments

• Reply 341 of 348
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

After watching an iPad commercial, i bought Star Walk...

It's good and so is Google Sky Map for free at

http://www.appbrain.com/app/com.goog...roid.stardroid

The web version of it is at http://www.google.com/sky/
  • Reply 342 of 348
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newtron

Duh is right. Every manufacturer could like it, but that does not matter one bit.

The reason why Android is gaining market share is because consumers are buying Android devices faster and faster, certainly at a much faster rate than iOS devices. Fewer relevant consumers are buying iOS devices compared to greater numbers of relevant consumers buying Android devices.

These things are not mysterious. The rate of consumer purchases determines market share on a dynamic basis. The installed consumer base compared to competitors determines the static market share.

The reasons for market share are consumer buying habits, and not what manufacturers "like".

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kaiser_soze View Post

I have read a number of your posts, and as a general rule, they are argumentative and contrived. What is your purpose?

The post to which I had responded asserted that people bought Android for precisely two reasons: firesales and the fact that on Verizon, you cannot buy Apple. I was merely pointing out that that perspective was missing the more obvious and more certain fact that the popularity of Android is strongly correlated to the quantity of different manufacturers that sell phones that use Andoid as the OS. It seemed like a perfectly reasonable thing to do.

But then you come along and start yapping at my heels like some sort of little Chihuahua. You wrote, "These things are not mysterious", and then you proceeded into something that just barely managed to make any sense at all. This is blatantly arrogant and insulting.

Before you reached that point, you wrote, "Every manufacturer could like it, but that does not matter one bit."

This is patently false, and your entire position is nothing more than a goofy contrivance. As long as there is a meaningful correlation between the number of manufacturers who sell phones using a particular OS and the market share of that OS, then the number of manufacturers who like it is entirely relevant. In the given context, "like it" means selling a product that uses that OS, and this would be obvious to any person who thinks in any reasonable manner.

Your whole argument is nothing more than a goofy contrivance, worded in a horrifically arrogant and insulting style. You have taken up a quarrel with nearly half of the other people who have posted anything here. What exactly is your purpose? To piss off as many people as you possibly can? Whatever it is that you think that you are accomplishing, all you are really doing is causing other people to think that you are an arrogant something-or-other who does not really have much at all to offer and who isn't possessed of a particularly high level of intelligence or reasoning capacity.

Well said!

• Reply 343 of 348
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by os2baba View Post

It's good and so is Google Sky Map for free at

http://www.appbrain.com/app/com.goog...roid.stardroid

The web version of it is at http://www.google.com/sky/

Ah... Google did not make an iOS version, so I can't test it on a mobile device. I don't expect this type of app works as well on a small phone display as on a larger tablet. I suspect Google will make a different implementation to exploit the advantages of tablet devices, as they become available on Android.

The web version looks interesting-- but this supports my original point that there just isn't a better way to do this than on a tablet.

I don't mean this as a commercial for the iPad-- rather its a validation of the Apple's concept of a tablet platform. This platform/concept can't do everything that some other platform/concepts can do. Conversely, there are some things that this platform/concept can do that are better than anything we've seen to date. Like, the GUI, many future products will build upon this platform/concept.

Seriously, you go out to the back yard, lay on the grass*, and hold this "window to the universe" up to the sky. It is like Augmented Reality for the galaxy. As you move the display moves with you, highlighting constellations, planets, asteroid showers...

You can move backward or forward in time...

* It doesn't matter if the sky is clear or cloudy-- and you don't really need to go outside and lay on the grass (the sky is there whether you can see it or not).

I do think that size is important-- a phone is too small to get the effect. An iPad is much better! Likely, the perfect size (and weight) is somewhere in the 7-11 inch range.

• Reply 344 of 348
    Quote:

Ah... Google did not make an iOS version, so I can't test it on a mobile device. I don't expect this type of app works as well on a small phone display as on a larger tablet. I suspect Google will make a different implementation to exploit the advantages of tablet devices, as they become available on Android.

I don't think I want to pay $5 to test this out on my iPad to see the difference. But in some ways, it's actually better on the phone because it's much lighter and easier to move it around - especially when you are searching for a planet or star. Which is very cool with the circled-arrow turning from blue to red as you move in the direction of the arrow. But the content itself will no dount look better on a bigger display. The first thing I noticed with my iPad is the weight. It's simply too heavy. The Samsung Tab is terrific at half the weight, but the display is too small. Not to mention that there is no way I'm paying for another contract. Not when I have free wifi hot spot on my Vibrant.

In any event, this is a really really cool app. Especially when you have small kids around the house like I do. One day my son was upset and my wife sat with him and to distract him, pointed to a star in the sky. He got caught up in the story and my wife pulled out the phone and found out that the name of the star was "Difida". Now my son uses Google Sky every so often and searches for Difida as its location keeps changing. Cherish-able moments brought about by some fantastic technology.
  • Reply 345 of 348
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by os2baba View Post

I don't think I want to pay $5 to test this out on my iPad to see the difference. But in some ways, it's actually better on the phone because it's much lighter and easier to move it around - especially when you are searching for a planet or star. Which is very cool with the circled-arrow turning from blue to red as you move in the direction of the arrow. But the content itself will no dount look better on a bigger display. The first thing I noticed with my iPad is the weight. It's simply too heavy. The Samsung Tab is terrific at half the weight, but the display is too small. Not to mention that there is no way I'm paying for another contract. Not when I have free wifi hot spot on my Vibrant.

In any event, this is a really really cool app. Especially when you have small kids around the house like I do. One day my son was upset and my wife sat with him and to distract him, pointed to a star in the sky. He got caught up in the story and my wife pulled out the phone and found out that the name of the star was "Difida". Now my son uses Google Sky every so often and searches for Difida as its location keeps changing. Cherish-able moments brought about by some fantastic technology.

I can remember, as a young kid (before Television and Air Conditioning) sitting on the porch, on a warm Minnesota Summer night, with my parents and siblings... looking up at the night sky (no street lights to distract). The parents would point out the constellations and tell us the stories about them (we ooohed and aaahed -- but we couldn't really see them). At best we could find and identify the Big Dipper, the North Star and the Little Dipper. Later, older and wiser, even Orion's belt. Looking for shooting stars, but never seeing them, either.

A few years ago I was able to pass on the experience to my (then) 9-year-old granddaughter.

I was as thrilled as she was!

Last night, I handed her my iPad with the app running..

Your last sentence says it all!

• Reply 346 of 348
    Quote:

The web version looks interesting-- but this supports my original point that there just isn't a better way to do this than on a tablet.

I don't mean this as a commercial for the iPad-- rather its a validation of the Apple's concept of a tablet platform. This platform/concept can't do everything that some other platform/concepts can do. Conversely, there are some things that this platform/concept can do that are better than anything we've seen to date. Like, the GUI, many future products will build upon this platform/concept.

Seriously, you go out to the back yard, lay on the grass*, and hold this "window to the universe" up to the sky. It is like Augmented Reality for the galaxy. As you move the display moves with you, highlighting constellations, planets, asteroid showers...

You can move backward or forward in time...

* It doesn't matter if the sky is clear or cloudy-- and you don't really need to go outside and lay on the grass (the sky is there whether you can see it or not).

I do think that size is important-- a phone is too small to get the effect. An iPad is much better! Likely, the perfect size (and weight) is somewhere in the 7-11 inch range.

I use the google Sky app on my Droid all of the time and really like it. I bought my Niece an iPad and she loves the iPad App. She is vision impaired and for her to be able to see the night sky is a big thrill for her. It is does look better on the 10" screen.....
  • Reply 347 of 348
    The only reason i got my BB Storm last year was because i didn't want AT&T... otherwise i'd've gotten an iPhone in a heartbeat... but since my BB got smashed, i now just have a flip phone... i kinda enjoy the old fashioned thing; it sends and receives txts and calls, and thats all you really need a phone for, right??
  • Reply 348 of 348
    I have heard of many large health care, pharma, gov, edu, finance and retail companies already testing the iPad for integration to their mobile workforce. iPad device management will be key for these companies as they already may have 1000's of Blackberry, Symbian, WinMobile or Droid devices. Using a third party MDM solution like AirWatch makes it possible to manage from one console, web-based or hosted.