Game Center compatible with 2nd-gen iPod touch, not iPhone 3G

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple has confirmed that Game Center, its social and gaming networking application included with iOS 4.1, will work on the second-generation iPod touch, but not on the iPhone 3G.

The iPhone 3G joins the first-generation iPhone and iPod touch models as the only iOS-based devices that cannot access Game Center. But there is key difference: the iPhone 3G can run iOS 4, while the first-generation iPhone and iPod touch are locked out of the latest version of Apple's mobile operating system.

Apple confirmed the compatibility of the new Game Center application on its website this week. The company also on Tuesday reset all Game Center accounts that had been registered by developers testing the golden master of Apple's forthcoming iOS 4.1 update, expected to be released on Wednesday.

Game Center's compatibility with the second-generation iPod touch is a change from last month, when a beta build of iOS 4.1 excluded both it and the iPhone 3G.

The exclusion of the iPhone 3G, but not the second-generation iPod touch, is noteworthy because both devices run similar internal hardware, in terms of game playing abilities. Though the devices were both introduced in 2008, the second-generation iPod touch has a slightly faster processor (532MHz vs. 412MHz) than the iPhone 3G. That same iPod touch was sold as an entry-level $199 offering until last week, when Apple introduced an all-new lineup, with the base $229 model sporting the same A4 processor as the iPhone 4.

The iPhone 3G was also sold this year on contract for $99, but the handset was discontinued when the iPhone 4 launched. Now, last year's iPhone 3GS sells at the entry $99 price point.

After iOS 4 was released, iPhone 3G users reported a significant performance hit when upgrading from iOS 3. Apple pledged that the forthcoming 4.1 update would address some of those issues, and tests with the golden master have shown considerable improvements when running the hardware first released in 2008.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    Of course it'll run fine on iPhone 3Gs. Only jailbroken ones, that's all.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The exclusion of the iPhone 3G, but not the second-generation iPod touch, is noteworthy because both devices run essentially the same internal hardware, in terms of game playing abilities.

The 2nd gen iPod touch has a more powerful processor than the 3G. I'm sure this is the reason why.

Now, the 1st gen iPhone and iPhone 3G have the same internal hardware (other than the 3G antenna)... so why iOS 4 isn't available on the 1st gen, but is on the 3G is baffling to me.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

After iOS 4 was released, iPhone 3G users reported a significant performance hit when upgrading from iOS 3. Apple pledged that the forthcoming 4.1 update would address some of those issues, and tests with the golden master have shown considerable improvements when running the hardware]

How does it compare to ios3, is what we need to know. I wouldn't be so concerned was I able to get my paws on an iPhone4 but as of yet - no dice.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shunnabunich View Post

I just want to know if it will be "snappy"
  • Reply 5 of 18
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:

It will run fine on the 3Gs so I'm not sure why the "jailbroken" comment was thrown out there.

indeed
  • Reply 6 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

It will run fine on the 3Gs so I'm not sure why the "jailbroken" comment was thrown out there.

indeed

He means 3G's plural as opposed to 3GS.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by techno View Post

I just want to know if it will be "snappy"

Heh. Well, as "snappy" as can be expected on a 3G. Being the owner of one, I can say that nothing about it could truly be described as such anymore, but I'm willing to put up with a...shall we say, more punctuated experience, rather than struggling to afford an off-contract 3GS or iPhone 4.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    The question is whether 4.1 is as good as 3.1.3 on the 3G to justify the upgrade. Upgrading my 3G to 4.1 just to get the folder feature is really not worth it if the performance is not there. I have been living without the folders ever since I got the 3G. I certainly can live without it until I upgrade to iPhone 4.5 or iPhone 5.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by einsteinbqat View Post

I certainly can live without it until I upgrade to iPhone 4.5 or iPhone 5.

You're delusional if you think iPhone 4.5 will happen.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    iPod Touch (2nd Generation)

No: wallpaper, multitasking.

Yes: Gamer Center.

iPhone 3G (2nd Generation)

No: wallpaper, multitasking, and Game Center.

Both

Run Super Monkey Ball
  • Reply 11 of 18
    Doesn't the iPod Touch 2nd generation and iPhone 3G have the same insides?
  • Reply 12 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OllieWallieWhiskers View Post

Delusional or not, I couldn't care less. All that that sentence means is that I can live without the upcoming iOS update until I change my 3G to the next iteration of the iPhone whether it be 4.5 or 5 or whatever that Apple may call it.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Great news for the lady that bought my old 2d gen. Though I doubt she will play many games on it. Still waiting for Amazon to ship my 4th gen.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    Quote:

Heh. Well, as "snappy" as can be expected on a 3G. Being the owner of one, I can say that nothing about it could truly be described as such anymore, but I'm willing to put up with a...shall we say, more punctuated experience, rather than struggling to afford an off-contract 3GS or iPhone 4.

It's funny, I was playing with my wifes 3G yesterday (it's not been upgraded to iOS 4 yet) and was really surprised at how slow it felt. It's made me appreciate how much of a step up the Apple processor is, since the iPad seems way better than the 3G, yet before I had the iPad, the 3G seemed great.

It's strange how you don't realise that things need improving until you see the improvement.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    Quote:

There will be no iPhone 4.5. Steve dont like to eat his own words. One phone for one year.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    29922992 Posts: 202member
    well, then happy shopping for f'd up antenna&proximitysensor iP4 until next summer. Me included....
  • Reply 17 of 18
    Quote:

The 2nd gen iPod touch has a more powerful processor than the 3G. I'm sure this is the reason why.

I'd be surprised if that were true... there is less than a 15% performance difference between the two devices and usually that's not enough to prevent deployment of something like this. I think there are either hardware differences we're not privvy to, or its a memory problem. How can it be a memory problem, you ask, when they have the same physical memory size? Because the phone functionality demands permanently resident software that uses up a notable amount of memory and processor time. I'll be curious to see if iPhone 3Gs which aren't phones anymore can run this...
  • Reply 18 of 18
    Quote:

Jailbroken phones don't have to make it through a test matrix, you are free to run whatever flakey crap you want on them. Have fun with that.