iPhone 4 antenna issue 'topical,' but users more interested in Verizon

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A new survey of cell phone users found that 20 percent of potential buyers let the iPhone 4 antenna affect their purchasing decision, but three times as many expressed dismay that Apple's smartphone is not available on U.S. carrier Verizon.

Investment firm Piper Jaffray recently surveyed 258 cell phone users in Minneapolis, Minn., on the iPhone 4 "antennagate" controversy. A total of 177 respondents, or 69 percent, indicated they were aware of issues with the iPhone 4 antenna.

Of those, 20 percent said that the antenna controversy affected their decision on what smartphone to buy.

"In other words, our survey suggests that Apple is losing up to 20% of potential domestic iPhone sales due to the antenna issues," analyst Gene Munster wrote. He noted that could correlate to 880,000 fewer unit sales in the September quarter in a worst-case scenario.

Apple calmed much of the controversy over the iPhone 4's reception, which can be negatively impacted by touching the lower left corner of the device, when it announced in July that it will give away free cases to all who buy the handset through Sept. 30. As that deadline approaches, Munster said he believes Apple will either extend the case program, or reveal further details on its own testing of iPhone 4 reception.

Munster added that though the survey did not include a question specifically asking about the iPhone coming to Verizon's network, most respondents broached the subject anyhow.

"We found that for every one respondent that acknowledged the antenna issue, about three complained about the iPhone not being on Verizon," he wrote. "In other words, the lack of an iPhone on Verizon is holding back sales by about three times more than the antenna issue."

In recent months, numerous rumors have suggested that Apple will bring the iPhone 4 to Verizon in January. Reports have alleged that the company will manufacture a CDMA iPhone that is compatible with the largest wireless network in the U.S.

In Piper Jaffray's survey, most respondents -- 30 percent -- are currently BlackBerry users, while 28 percent own an iPhone. A total of 40 percent said they have considered buying an iPhone 4, compared with just 29 percent who have eyed an Android device.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 82
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    There's the problem - 30% own a CrackBerry. How can we trust their decision making abilities?

• Reply 2 of 82
    And yet the device still sells.
  • Reply 3 of 82
    Has anyone else taken notice to how hard ATT is pushing the new Blackberry (Torch I think). It seems to me that ATT is seeing the end of the exclusive hold on the iphone and is realizing they need to diversify to withstand the inevitable leap of their current customers over to Verizon as soon as the iphone makes the move.
  • Reply 4 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cubert View Post

There's the problem - 30% own a CrackBerry. How can we trust their decision making abilities?

Or it could be it was cheap at the time and I'm just buying time until some carrier is willing to help Apple to bring iPhone to my part of Kansas. Currently, Verizon is the only carrier that provides a good signal in the places where I live and work.
  • Reply 5 of 82
    diddydiddy Posts: 282member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bcahill009 View Post

Has anyone else taken notice to how hard ATT is pushing the new Blackberry (Torch I think).

They are pushing it no more than any other of their phones in my book. One thing you have to remember is that AT&T never advertised the iPhone - Apple always did. AT&T is kinda in a bind since they really don't have many high end phones to advertise from Google (most of them are exclusive to Verizon) so their biggest sellers that they can advertise is Blackberry - a phone that they are pretty used to advertising.

I don't think they are pushing very hard - I have maybe seen their ad twice on TV (unscientific I know) ever since it was announced.
  • Reply 6 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

And yet the device still sells.

So did Vista. So does Windows 7. Do people really love it? Do people really like ATT? Or do they just use it because they have no choice? The fact that Apple exists at all proves there is a market for choice. Be it in OS or carriers.

Put the blasted phone on Verizon already. What do you have to loose Apple? Come on! You gave us buttons on a shuffle! You gave us a camera on an iPod touch. You're selling iPads for less than a thousand dollars. If you can do all that, you can do anything.
  • Reply 7 of 82
    There is a reason why Sprint and Verizon are the first two carriers to build out a 4G Network. Their current CDMA networks are dead.
  • Reply 8 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

So did Vista. So does Windows 7. Do people really love it? Do people really like ATT? Or do they just use it because they have no choice? The fact that Apple exists at all proves there is a market for choice. Be it in OS or carriers.

Put the blasted phone on Verizon already. What do you have to loose Apple? Come on! You gave us buttons on a shuffle! You gave us a camera on an iPod touch. You're selling iPads for less than a thousand dollars. If you can do all that, you can do anything.

They can't do it until the AT&T contract runs out. If they don't do it then, feel free to bitch. It's time...no, it's overdue, but complaining that it isn't happening TODAY doesn't work when they are under contract.
  • Reply 9 of 82
    Androids have only a 9% share?

I thought that they had taken over, from all the hyperventilating that went on here from some?

Wait till the iPhone shows up on Verizon: Android 9%....8%...7%...6%....
  • Reply 10 of 82
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    Even if Verizon was a partner, if you can't put them in the customer's hands, what does it matter?

McDonalds could be promising them with happy meal, and it still does not matter.

Apple is losing sales right now because people (at least here in Canada) cannot get an iPhone 4 due to NO stock.

Apple is over extending itself.
  • Reply 11 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bcahill009 View Post

Has anyone else taken notice to how hard ATT is pushing the new Blackberry (Torch I think). It seems to me that ATT is seeing the end of the exclusive hold on the iphone and is realizing they need to diversify to withstand the inevitable leap of their current customers over to Verizon as soon as the iphone makes the move.

That was exactly my impression when I saw the big display at my local store.
  • Reply 12 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

There is a reason why Sprint and Verizon are the first two carriers to build out a 4G Network. Their current CDMA networks are dead.

So when you have a location that has no 4G coverage for whatever reason, what is it going to fall back on?
  • Reply 13 of 82
    A lot more than 177 people would be needed to make a survey more closer to accurate.
  • Reply 14 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

So when you have a location that has no 4G coverage for whatever reason, what is it going to fall back on?

That's a major problem for Verizon and Sprint. That is why it won't make sense for them to have an iPhone until 2013-2014,,,,,when their 4G footprint is large enough to provide adequate national coverage. Until then.....oh well.
  • Reply 15 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

Easier said than done. Unless you've read the contract between AT&T and Apple. I'm sure Apple is fed up with AT&T. I'm sure if they're able to add Verizon they would've done so already.
  • Reply 16 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

A lot more than 177 people would be needed to make a survey more closer to accurate.

Groan. Here we go again.

First, it is more than 177.

Second, you should learn a little bit about sampling theory, and the margin of error in samples. Here's something to get you started: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margin_of_error
  • Reply 17 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Groan. Here we go again.

First, it is more than 177.

Second, you should learn a little bit about sampling theory, and the margin of error in samples. Here's something to get you started: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margin_of_error

Thanks bud. It's ok I get it.

I'm just saying. Of course we all make comments we know to be right until someone points out we're not.

No groaning needed man. It's all good.
  • Reply 18 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

Thanks bud. It's ok I get it.

I'm just saying. Of course we all make comments we know to be right until someone points out we're not.

No groaning needed man. It's all good.

Fair point about the groaning. I take that back.

It's just that, every time there's a story with a sample survey, this issue crops up......
  • Reply 19 of 82
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

That's a major problem for Verizon and Sprint. That is why it won't make sense for them to have an iPhone until 2013-2014,,,,,when their 4G footprint is large enough to provide adequate national coverage. Until then.....oh well.

I have to agree with this to an extent, but I don't think it's enough to keep an iphone off their network. That's inane.

The point remains: What will the phones fall back on when not in 4g coverage? You think they'll have 100% coverage by 2014? No lol. So CDMA is not dead, and won't be dead probably for a good while longer while they transition.
  • Reply 20 of 82
    shobizshobiz Posts: 207member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Fair point about the groaning. I take that back.

It's just that, every time there's a story with a sample survey, this issue crops up......

And the same response get copy pasted....

I think that it only takes one person that likes Apple products to make a survey...