Apple cleans up spam, tweaks interface in iTunes Ping

Comments

• Reply 41 of 64
    In Ping, I feel like a loner. Surrounded by celebs. But no friends. C'mon bring in Facebook connectivity!
  • Reply 42 of 64
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MenLoveToys View Post

A spam site that is purely programmed to try and sell you more music?

Suck all personal information from you and you're friends and make you pay for the convenience of using it?

Just how does it do that? You don't have to buy a thing.

Quote:

Please tell me what is so appealing about a feature that does nothing but allow me to stalk other artists trying to get me to buy their music?

Do you know what stalking means?

Quote:

I must just be using it wrong...

Like everything else you have surmised.
  • Reply 43 of 64
    Ping is completely useless for families. As long as one cannot create separate users under the iTunes account (e.g. parent/master account with children/subaccounts as it is possible with MobileMe), Ping is completely useless for families. As a result, Apple looses a lot of potentially perfect users (e.g. pre teens and teens in households).

Also, as long as Apple does not include non-iTunes purchased songs, Ping draws a completely inaccurate picture of what users are buying/listening to. Our family is not stealing songs but we buy them from cheaper sources. Our family probably buys 20-30 songs per month outside iTunes - guess what, for Ping, our family has not purchased and listened to a single song.

• Reply 44 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by awmawm View Post

Ping is completely useless for families. As long as one cannot create separate users under the iTunes account (e.g. parent/master account with children/subaccounts as it is possible with MobileMe), Ping is completely useless for families. As a result, Apple looses a lot of potentially perfect users (e.g. pre teens and teens in households).

Also, as long as Apple does not include non-iTunes purchased songs, Ping draws a completely inaccurate picture of what users are buying/listening to. Our family is not stealing songs but we buy them from cheaper sources. Our family probably buys 20-30 songs per month outside iTunes - guess what, for Ping, our family has not purchased and listened to a single song.

A free app/service and you selfishly want more.

Open a separate account for each member of you family or do you dictate what they have to listen to?

You do realize that you can add non-iTunes purchased songs to Ping to the "Music [you] Like"? They just have to be listed on the iTunes Store.
  • Reply 45 of 64
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

Open a separate account for each member of you family or do you dictate what they have to listen to?

You do realize that you can add non-iTunes purchased songs to Ping to the "Music [you] Like"? They just have to be listed on the iTunes Store.

I'm sure the rwbuttal to your comment will be that you can't share apps and other iTunes Store account media, except for iTunes Plus music, when you have multiple accounts.
  • Reply 46 of 64
    Quote:

Ping and multiple members in household:

You obviously have no clue how the typical family with pre-teens and teens uses iTunes.

Everyone in our family has access to a pool of 5,000+ songs and everyone is free to pick what they want to add to their playlists. With your suggestion of opening separate accounts, one could not easily share songs (would require log-outs and log-ins). Combine this with Home Sharing on multiple computers and you would spend an inordinate amount of time managing iTunes content. With one account, all each user has to manage are the individual playlists.

Non-iTunes purchases and Ping:

Our music library is a cleanly tagged as possible but no single song shows up in Ping despite the fact that I chose "Automatically display all music I like, rate, review, or purchase." Since it works for you, I can only assume that you have a magic wand...
  • Reply 47 of 64
    Quote:

You obviously have no clue how the typical family with pre-teens and teens uses iTunes.

Everyone in our family has access to a pool of 5,000+ songs and everyone is free to pick what they want to add to their playlists. With your suggestion of opening separate accounts, one could not easily share songs (would require log-outs and log-ins). Combine this with Home Sharing on multiple computers and you would spend an inordinate amount of time managing iTunes content. With one account, all each user has to manage are the individual playlists.

Your setup sounds confusing and overly complex while adding a lot of potential issues at the hands of another user.

I understand a home wanting to buy one movie, TV Show or app that all FairPlay-capable devices can use, but to have all users on the same user account instead of separate, secure user accounts that can still be monitors and maintained by the in-house techy or adult sounds like a recipe for disaster.

You can even put all your iTunes content into a shared area so you aren?t duplicating the data, but each user would still maintain their own iTunes DB file and could still use the same iTunes Store account.
  • Reply 48 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I'm sure the rwbuttal to your comment will be that you can't share apps and other iTunes Store account media, except for iTunes Plus music, when you have multiple accounts.

I don't quite understand what you mean.

I have 5 iTune accounts and I share my apps all the time.
  • Reply 49 of 64
    Quote:

I don't quite understand what you mean.

I have 5 iTune accounts and I share my apps all the time.

Are you saying you can buy an app and then send it to someone else who uses a different iTunes account who hasn?t bought the app and they can use it no problem?

Or do you mean ?authorized machines? for a single iTunes Store account.
  • Reply 50 of 64
    Quote:

Non-iTunes purchases and Ping:

Our music library is a cleanly tagged as possible but no single song shows up in Ping despite the fact that I chose "Automatically display all music I like, rate, review, or purchase." Since it works for you, I can only assume that you have a magic wand...

Create a 'Ping Account' i.e., without a credit card for each member of the family.

Have each member of the family sign in to their respective iTunes store 'Ping' account and create their own personal Ping profile.

You don't have to log out. Simply change the Apple ID and enter the Password as you are normally asked to do.

In the first section, i.e., My Information, each member will then be able to choose up to 3 Genres they like.

In the second section, Music I Like, click the second bullet, i.e., Manually pick the music to display. Then Search for music by typing in the the Album name, artist or song title. If the music is available on the iTunes store, it will show up on the list which you can select from, even if I haven't rated, reviewed or purchased from iTunes.

Bottom line, each member has an individual Ping profile. My kids don't want me to follow them and vice versa.

*http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2534
  • Reply 51 of 64
    Quote:

Are you saying you can buy an app and then send it to someone else who uses a different iTunes account who hasn?t bought the app and they can use it no problem?

Or do you mean ?authorized machines? for a single iTunes Store account.

Authorized machines
  • Reply 52 of 64
    Quote:

Authorized machines

To restate, the obvious rebuttal to having a family that uses different iTunes Store accounts is the fact that you can?t freely move any FairPlay protected content between accounts.
  • Reply 53 of 64
    Quote:

To restate, the obvious rebuttal to having a family that uses different iTunes Store accounts is the fact that you can?t freely move any FairPlay protected content between accounts.

Correct.
  • Reply 54 of 64
    Quote:

But I can share my account with my wife and kids.
  • Reply 55 of 64
    Ping seems to have been launched hideously under-developed. The range of artists that it's possible to follow is tiny. I assumed you'd be able to click on any artist in the iTunes store and favourite them, so I can at least let my Ping friends know the artists that I like.

Instead, if you navigate to an artist (hint try pressing the arrow next to an artist in your own iTunes library) you have links to "Share on Facebook" and "Share on Twitter" but absolutely no mention of Ping whatsoever!!!

C'mon Apple, if you want to create a viable social network to compete with all the others get with the program!! I would like to use Ping to create a list of artists I like and let me see what my friends like and are what they're currently listening to if they're playing something in iTunes. Other chat programs can do this already.

If artists want to create Ping accounts and add news, concert dates and let people follow them that's fine, but at least let me add any artist in iTunes to a list of artists I like and let me see when they release new stuff on iTunes.
  • Reply 56 of 64
    Apologies for going over old ground but the responses above opened the door and then shut it again so I'm confused.

My fiancée and I each have an iPhone and we also have a single iPad. As I was the first to get an iDevice I set up an iTunes store account in my name, with my card details stored, etc. When I bought her an iPhone, I simply used my existing iTunes store account on her iPhone too and indeed did the same with the iPad. So all 3 iDevices are currently "linked" to the same iTunes store account. This means we've only needed to purchase apps once and can then sync them up. We do have differing tastes so she has some apps only synced to her iPhone and me similarly but a great number are shared.

We have a large music library stemming from a room full of 12" vinyls and CDs which over the years we've been digitizing. We have no copy protected music in other words.

With the launch of Ping, my other half now wonders if she can have her own Ping profile whilst at the same time maintaining the status quo as regards existing apps purchased under my iTunes store account rather than us sharing my Ping profile. Clearly I don't want to have to set up a new Apple Store account for her resulting in having to purchase £50-£100 of apps again when I've already done so.

Clarification of whether this is possible and how would be good.
  • Reply 57 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ffcphone View Post

We have a large music library stemming from a room full of 12" vinyls and CDs which over the years we've been digitizing. We have no copy protected music in other words.

The vinyls for sure are copy protected and the same goes for CDs if the are commercially produced.

Quote:

With the launch of Ping, my other half now wonders if she can have her own Ping profile whilst at the same time maintaining the status quo as regards existing apps purchased under my iTunes store account rather than us sharing my Ping profile. Clearly I don't want to have to set up a new Apple Store account for her resulting in having to purchase £50-£100 of apps again when I've already done so.

Have her set up an iTunes account in her name. As long as she has access to your current iTunes store account, she has full use of the apps on it and doesn't have to repurchase them separately.
  • Reply 58 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s.metcalf View Post

Ping seems to have been launched hideously under-developed. The range of artists that it's possible to follow is tiny. I assumed you'd be able to click on any artist in the iTunes store and favourite them, so I can at least let my Ping friends know the artists that I like.

Instead, if you navigate to an artist (hint try pressing the arrow next to an artist in your own iTunes library) you have links to "Share on Facebook" and "Share on Twitter" but absolutely no mention of Ping whatsoever!!!

C'mon Apple, if you want to create a viable social network to compete with all the others get with the program!! I would like to use Ping to create a list of artists I like and let me see what my friends like and are what they're currently listening to if they're playing something in iTunes. Other chat programs can do this already.

If artists want to create Ping accounts and add news, concert dates and let people follow them that's fine, but at least let me add any artist in iTunes to a list of artists I like and let me see when they release new stuff on iTunes.

Isn't that obvious from your profile. And until the artist give permission to follow them, as your friends or other do, it is stalking.

Remember, there are a number of artists that refuse to have anything to do with iTunes. And are just waiting for Apple to add them to any Apple associated product/service without their permission.

Same goes to, "Why iTunes song samples are still only 30 seconds". http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-20015734-37.html
  • Reply 59 of 64
    Quote:

Isn't that obvious from your profile. And until the artist give permission to follow them, as your friends or other do, it is stalking.

Remember, there are a number of artists that refuse to have anything to do with iTunes. And are just waiting for Apple to add them to any Apple associated product/service without their permission.

Same goes to, "Why iTunes song samples are still only 30 seconds". http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-20015734-37.html

Sorry, I'm not really following what you think is obvious, and where the stalking comment came from. I simply said I wanted to create a list of artists I like and let my Ping friends see who I like. What on Earth is wrong with that? How is it stalking? Is it stalking to tell you that I like the music of x, y, z etc? Like I also said, whether artists want to create profiles and divulge information to "followers" is entirely up to them. I never suggested artists should have to do that. So I completely fail to see your angle on this one.
  • Reply 60 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s.metcalf View Post

Sorry, I'm not really following what you think is obvious, and where the stalking comment came from. I simply said I wanted to create a list of artists I like and let my Ping friends see who I like. What on Earth is wrong with that? How is it stalking? Is it stalking to tell you that I like the music of x, y, z etc? Like I also said, whether artists want to create profiles and divulge information to "followers" is entirely up to them. I never suggested artists should have to do that. So I completely fail to see your angle on this one.

No it is not stalking if you agree to let others formally follow you.

Nor is it if you ping artists and their music which Apple has currently been approved/licensed to do so.

In the meantime, you can list artists and music for your friends to see, but not available in the iTunes store, in your "comments" section.

Again, you don't have to own the music to add it to you profile. It just has to be available via the iTunes store. And most important, not all artist want anything to do with Apple and would relish the opportunity to use legal action when it arises.