Apple replaces 5,500 first-gen iPod nano batteries in Japan

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
In the month of August, Apple replaced 5,527 first-generation iPod nano batteries, following an agreement by the company to address a problem with overheating.

According to The Mainichi Daily News, Japan's Ministroy of Economy, Trade and Industry reported that Apple replaced 4,994 batteries in the month after the company modified its website, making it easier for customers to find information on accidents where the device caught fire while recharging. For the entire month of August, Apple replaced 5,527 batteries, up from 232 in July and 62 in June.

On Aug. 11, Apple announced that it would replace iPod nanos that, in some cases, could overheat and catch fire. METI said that the hardware, sold between September 2005 and December 2006, is responsible for about 60 cases of overheating, four of them resulting in minor burns.

A few months ago, the trade ministry had declared the first-generation iPod nano a fire hazard. It ordered Apple to publicize a fix for the issue on its website.

Apple originally initiated a battery replacement program for the devices in 2008, but the renewed attention from METI clearly had an effect in August, when more than 5,500 device owners sought repairs. Apple has said that the defective batteries only overheat in "very rare cases."

METI has chastised Apple, with the trade ministry publicly saying it was "truly regrettable" that Apple waited until August to report about 30 incidents of overheating. Apple has not revealed how many of the first-generation iPod nano were sold in Japan.

The iPod nano has come a long way since the first iteration was released in 2005. Last week, the company announced a drastically redesigned model that sports a tiny 1.54-inch multi-touch display with a 240-by-240 pixel resolution.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    Who still uses a 1st Gen iPod Nano?
  • Reply 2 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

Why just Japan? Do they have to get sued to do the right thing in other countries?

understand, they probably sold 100k of those units and had perhaps 100 such incidents, some of which could have been caused by the unit being left in a hot car for hours if not days, improper recharging, being dropped several times, had something spilled on it. Even someone taking it apart and not putting it back together.

japan basically told Apple it was their fault even if it wasn't. And is making them replace all units even if the original never had a problem. They might have done this even if only 1 unit anywhere in the world had an issue. .

And Apple is not above 'doing the right thing'. A few weeks back I got a notice that I could get a free harddrive replacement in a laptop that is well out of warranty and Apple care despite never having any trouble with it all because a percent of drives in my batch went bad and the level was above what Apple feels was acceptable risk. Apparently those that paid to have out of warranty replacement got their money back also.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    A few of my co workers at google still do (still use them daily and have iPhones as well)

Btw didn't they get sued for the same model being too scratchable?
  • Reply 4 of 13
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

And Apple is not above 'doing the right thing'. A few weeks back I got a notice that I could get a free harddrive replacement in a laptop that is well out of warranty and Apple care despite never having any trouble with it all because a percent of drives in my batch went bad and the level was above what Apple feels was acceptable risk. Apparently those that paid to have out of warranty replacement got their money back also.

Apple has been great about battery replacements, even well after the basic warranty has expired. I?ve had many devices replaced due to battery issues over the years. Most comapnies give you a hard time but Apple is pretty straightforward about it. The longest I?ve personally seen was 3.5 years for a MacBook.

They don?t make the batteries. Sony used to supply them and it?s quite possibly that the issue with Japan is limited to a select batch that may be greater than the 5500 Nanos or expanded to make sure that they cover their asses in case there were some questionable batches, but I?d wager that they went low for an item that is so long in the tooth.

Hell, I read a report on these forums just this weekend about a G5 Nano battery failing and the user made no mention of trying to get it replaced. They seemed to just accept it, so I can?t imagine many throwing a fit over a device 5-6 years old with a faulty battery.

The bottom line is batteries will be faulty and this seems to happen in batches and is only discovered after the fact, which tells me it?s due to some impurity or manufacturing issue that is not readily noticeable at time of production.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flash_beezy View Post

A few of my co workers at google still do (still use them daily and have iPhones as well)

Btw didn't they get sued for the same model being too scratchable?

If Apple and Sarah Jessica Parker can get sued for stealing the iPod idea and name then I wouldn?t doubt they could get sued for a physical item being scratchable.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Quote:

Seemingly, in just one country, thousand of people.

Worldwide? Dunno.

The devices haven't been sold in almost four years. It seems to me that if people used the things, the original battery would be long since depleted.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msuberly View Post

Who still uses a 1st Gen iPod Nano?

I bought one the first week they were sold. Use it every day and still works fine. Battery life is now between 3-4 hours per charge. It's scratched all to hell but still a quality item.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post

I bought one the first week they were sold. Use it every day and still works fine. Battery life is now between 3-4 hours per charge. It's scratched all to hell but still a quality item.

I still have mine, and it still works. It too is scratched beyond belief, and the click wheel is coming loose. To take care of the scratching, I put a piece of clear packing tape over the screen. It filled in most of the scratches and protects it while not taking away much of the aesthetics. For a 5 year old electronics gadget, its doing well. Totally out lasted my MacBook Pro!
  • Reply 9 of 13
    1st1st Posts: 443member
    Quote:

Why just Japan? Do they have to get sued to do the right thing in other countries?

japan got two systems for electricity supply: 55 and 60 Hz systems depend upon where you located. How about your neck of woods? (just a quick guess).
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Quote:

It's possible that a bad batch of some component appeared only in a run of Japan-bound iPod nanos. I have no such info and make no claim; just noting that it's possible.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post

Sounds like you made an excellent purchase. Can you get a replacement battery on eBay?
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac'em X View Post

It's possible that a bad batch of some component appeared only in a run of Japan-bound iPod nanos. I have no such info and make no claim; just noting that it's possible.

Actually, that sounds like a reasonable guess. It makes sense to me that a defect exists in a batch of batteries rather than a more general battery design problem.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1st View Post

japan got two systems for electricity supply: 55 and 60 Hz systems depend upon where you located. How about your neck of woods? (just a quick guess).

60 Hz everywhere.