Apple releases iOS 4.1 with Bluetooth, proximity sensor fixes

Comments

• Reply 81 of 130
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by super8sean View Post

Anyone having proximity issues on the iphone 4 after installing ver 4.1????

Nope. But then I've never experienced it, or the antennae issue. Nor has anyone I know. 4.1 is definitely more responsive and loving hdr pics. Everyone here (17happy iPhone users) report fast, easy update, and a continued clean bill of health.
  • Reply 82 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Roos24 View Post

Clock sync not fixed. Maybe next update...

What's up with yr clock sync?
  • Reply 83 of 130
    Bluetooth tethering to ipad?
  • Reply 84 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

Lol. Millions of people used a broken device? I don't think so.

If yr device was broken, you should have returned it. Millions of people with a 'broken' device would have made one very large noise in the media.

Um... can't return 3G Iphone and it's true.. we have been broken and waiting.

You are really going to claim this is the first you have heard of the problem? Come on.
  • Reply 85 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

gamecenter is a VERY un-Apple UI.

kinda feels like a poker table.

This is a particularly funny comment considering the very first game in the App Store was Apple's own Texas HoldEm poker app.

• Reply 86 of 130
    Ssl vpn?
  • Reply 87 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by S8ER01Z View Post

Um... can't return 3G Iphone and it's true.. we have been broken and waiting.

You are really going to claim this is the first you have heard of the problem? Come on.

I've heard that performance on the 3G was sluggish under iOS 4. I've not heard anyone claim their phone was 'broken'. You can return any device, or get it fixed or replaced if manufacturer action breaks it. Or you could have restored your phone to factory default settings and re-synced yr data. Which would have returned the os and settings to the phone as it was when bought.

Most companies don't even bother making new updates work on older devices. There were issues on older devices, there are now less issues. I think you could do with a little perspective.

If your phone was 'broken' you should have had that problem sorted by your mobile company. But I'm guessing that the phone was usable, just had some issues. These issues are now addressed and yr still complaining!
  • Reply 88 of 130
    Quote:

... If yr device was broken, you should have returned it. Millions of people with a 'broken' device would have made one very large noise in the media.

I know what you're saying, but speaking as an owner of a brand-new but broken iPhone 4 that Apple refuses to replace, I don't think it's always the case that you can take something back to the Apple store. I got a defective unit straight from the factory and so far they are stone-walling me.

Most of the time you're probably right, but not all the time.
  • Reply 89 of 130
    iPod app still crashes on the 3G randomly. If you use the iPod app in the background the phone becomes very sluggish and almost unusable. Loading times for certain apps still > 20 seconds. SMS still takes years to load, etc.

Great bloatware. Thank you Apple!
  • Reply 90 of 130
    Quote:

I've heard that performance on the 3G was sluggish under iOS 4. I've not heard anyone claim their phone was 'broken'. You can return any device, or get it fixed or replaced if manufacturer action breaks it. Or you could have restored your phone to factory default settings and re-synced yr data. Which would have returned the os and settings to the phone as it was when bought.

You can find massive rage posts on Apples forums... many people have been claiming broken. I would love to know where you can return a phone several years old for a software problem??

Quote:

Most companies don't even bother making new updates work on older devices. There were issues on older devices, there are now less issues. I think you could do with a little perspective.

This is true...HOWEVER...they did and it had problems. As a software developer myself I would have understood the 3G not getting the OS4.. but they made it available and it didn't work. The problem is not on me..

Quote:

If your phone was 'broken' you should have had that problem sorted by your mobile company. But I'm guessing that the phone was usable, just had some issues. These issues are now addressed and yr still complaining!

The definition of broken differs to many... the fact that I could 'occasionally' use the phone between lockups but playing movies, games and audio was almost useless is borderline broken IMHO.

The issues were addressed (today...4 months later)... who said I'm complaining?
  • Reply 91 of 130
    iOS 4.1 iPhone 4

updated this with the GM release.

so far with 2 days of use:

- prox sensor issue definitely fixed.

- bluetooth seems to be better.

- garble with Microcell seems to have gone away.

- failed calls happens less.

- seems a little quicker in some app switching.

That's it so far.
  • Reply 92 of 130
    bagmanbagman Posts: 349member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I know what you're saying, but speaking as an owner of a brand-new but broken iPhone 4 that Apple refuses to replace, I don't think it's always the case that you can take something back to the Apple store. I got a defective unit straight from the factory and so far they are stone-walling me.

Most of the time you're probably right, but not all the time.

Do you have the Apple care plan ($69), which I've found they tend to repair or replace your phone, pretty much no questions asked. I've had 2 3Gphones replaced, and one 3G repaired on the spot at the Genius Bar. Since you get the extra year of coverage, it may be worth it, but it seems strange they won't replace it. Maybe they will now since they claim the problem has been fixed with 4.1? May be worth making some noise at the store manager again.

I remember when I was originally brushed off with the antenna problem, but they were correct in sending me back to ATT, since my phone was still within the 30 day period. I did, incidentally, not only have the antenna issue constantly, but also the proximity issue, which I didn't initially recognize until others pointed out why my calls were dropping sometimes, which never happened with my 3G.

I'm still waiting for an antenna fix - I can afford to wait a little longer to see how the whole issue plays out vis-a-vis any announcement (or not) coming this month about the extension (or not) of the bumper issue. If they haven't fixed the antenna, then cancelling the bumper program will be a colosal, bonehead mistake, because folks will start reporting the antenna problem once again.

I've seen, and handled about 10 to 15 ip4's, and ALL were prone to the antenna issue - too bad, hope they just coat the damn thing, so we can move on.

Best of luck in getting your phone replaced/fixed. If you can't get it fixed, my suggestion is just to sell it on ebay - folks will buy it, even if you list potential problems you have - which amazed me when I was selling my 3G, and buying another 3GS - folks were buying them, regardless of broken screens, cracked cases, known speaker outages, etc, etc, so you can probably get enough to buy another one, and get it reactivated at ATT (who will gladly try to charge you a reactivation fee again, no doubt).
  • Reply 93 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

Fine. I tried to be nice to the children here but what's the use. I should have said what I really thought.

G.O. A.W.A.Y.

You grate.
  • Reply 94 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fluffylump View Post

I'm downloading for my Iphone 4.

The 590MB file is going to take about 70mins. And then my girlfriend has to download it again to the same computer.

Wouldn't be cool if iTunes looked to see if it already had the right .ipsw on my hard drive or on another hard drive on my homeLAN before downloading it from Apple's servers a second time. Even if it meant giving permission for this process in Sharing.

I get that different models have different .ipsws so, if we had different phones it wouldn't be a time saving.

You can, just hold down

Option key and it will let you choose a file instead.
  • Reply 95 of 130
    I was hoping they would enable HDR on my 3GS, but sadly, no. Just on the iPhone 4. Would be nice if they would at least give you the option. Sigh...
  • Reply 96 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

Fine. I tried to be nice to the children here but what's the use. I should have said what I really thought.

Apple should be ashamed of themselves and their inability to execute anything.

Yes, Apple doesn't have the ability execute anything?! Apparently, they executed enough to get you to spend your money on their products! Would you like some cheese with that wine?
  • Reply 97 of 130
    I agree with Pennywise. Although the 4.1 software update may fix the 3G (I can't say, because iTunes has been stuck displaying "Contacting the iPhone software update server..." for more than 20 minutes), Apple should never have released iOS 4 for the iPhone 3G if it wasn't ready for that phone.

It's been months that I've had a nearly unusable phone. I understand that this hasn't been the case for everyone, but for those who didn't experience it, please believe the ones who have suffered through endless waiting for a fix. With no official statement from Apple, we have felt like we were left twisting in the wind.

This is not how a company that prides itself on customer service and products that "just work" should operate.
  • Reply 98 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by storneo View Post

Yes, Apple doesn't have the ability execute anything?! Apparently, they executed enough to get you to spend your money on their products! Would you like some cheese with that wine?

No thanks. How would you like a hawaiin punch?

Respect you're elders or I'll send you to bed without you're apple pie. Fanboi.
  • Reply 99 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Landnsea View Post

I agree with Pennywise. Although the 4.2 software update may fix the 3G (I can't say, because iTunes has been stuck displaying "Contacting the iPhone software update server..." for more than 20 minutes), Apple should never have released iOS 4 for the iPhone 3G if it wasn't ready for that phone.

It's been months that I've had a nearly unusable phone. I understand that this hasn't been the case for everyone, but for those who didn't experience it, please believe the ones who have suffered through endless waiting for a fix. With no official statement from Apple, we have felt like we were left twisting in the wind.

This is not how a company that prides itself on customer service and products that "just work" should operate.

I think you meant to say you agree with me since I said it first.
  • Reply 100 of 130
    enzosenzos Posts: 344member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bagman View Post

What do you mean by performance increase? Does it still take forever to load, which is a sign of bloatware (at least on my WinXP PC)? Thanks.

Hela fast now. Initial startup 4 seconds; subsequent about 1 second. (MBP, 4GB ram, 5200 songs [25 GB]).