Apple's new iPod nano connects to TV for photo slideshows, records voice memos

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple's 6th generation iPod nano, with the proper accessories, can record voice memos and connect to a TV to display photo slideshows.

A look inside the 6th generation iPod nano manual revealed several surprising features not mentioned by Apple CEO Steve Jobs during the Sept. 1 media event.

Although the new iPod nano no longer records or plays video, it can send photo slideshows to a TV. Connecting the new iPod nano to a TV requires use of a $49 Apple Composite Cable or Apple Component Cable. According to Apple, photo slideshows on a TV will display at the standard VGA 620x480 resolution.

The voice memo feature is also available on the new iPod nano, when the $29 Apple Earphones with Remote and Mic are connected to the earphone port. Voice memos are saved in the M4A format and can be synced to a computer.

Initial reviews of the iPod nano described the device as "surprising" and "cute," although some reviewers missed the video camera and video playback features.

Video on the iPod nano might not be gone for good, though. Erica Sadun of TUAW found evidence of leftover code for video support in the internal settings property list of the 6th generation iPod nano.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Apple should put this as a feature on it's official page. Might as well add value to it's product and potentially sell more cables...
  • Reply 2 of 10
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    "with the proper accessories"... which seems to be the route Apple's taking with far too many devices these days. e.g iPad, iPod Nano 6th, etc.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Anyone know where to get a video out cable for iPhone 4 not made by Apple??? $$$$$
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

Anyone know where to get a video out cable for iPhone 4 not made by Apple??? $$$$$

IOGear, $40, from Buy.com
  • Reply 5 of 10
    "some reviewers missed the video camera and video playback"

Yeah, but you know why they took those features away: They wanted to draw a clearer differentiation between their products. They want your choice to be between the iPhone and iPod Touch, or the Nano and the Shuffle. They don't want consumers puzzling over whether to get a Touch or a Nano.

Along those lines, though, I do wish they'd increase the Classic's storage capacity, since that is the Classic's biggest differentiation. Since people have more digital 'stuff' than ever, a really BIG pocketable way to store AND use that stuff would be compelling. Bigger the better. (Easy wireless file transfer, from your SLR or laptop or iPhone, to the Classic would be a winner as well.)
  • Reply 6 of 10
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Interesting comment from Sadun's review. Admittedly, mimicking CocoaTocuh for another OS seemed like the harder option.
    Quote:

Although the unit uses a very iOS-like interface, it appears to be running on an alternative OS, probably a variant of the old Pixo OS.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mister Snitch View Post

Along those lines, though, I do wish they'd increase the Classic's storage capacity, since that is the Classic's biggest differentiation. Since people have more digital 'stuff' than ever, a really BIG pocketable way to store AND use that stuff would be compelling. Bigger the better. (Easy wireless file transfer, from your SLR or laptop or iPhone, to the Classic would be a winner as well.)

It looks like that isn't possible without going back to a thicker iPod Classic. Did Toshiba release a denser 1.8" platter this year? They dropped the double-platter 1.8" HDD s a couple years ago so I have to assume the thinner Classic sold better.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by warren89 View Post

I love this , So does My boyfriend .She is almost 11 year older than me

"I love this , So does My boyfriend .She is almost 11 year older than me"

• Reply 8 of 10
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mister Snitch View Post

"some reviewers missed the video camera and video playback"

Yeah, but you know why they took those features away: They wanted to draw a clearer differentiation between their products. They want your choice to be between the iPhone and iPod Touch, or the Nano and the Shuffle. They don't want consumers puzzling over whether to get a Touch or a Nano.

Do you really think customers debated between the old nano and touch? Seriously? You couldn't possibly have more differentiation between products. Even if you compared the old nano to the new touch. VGA vs HD video, still photos on the touch, drastically different screen resolutions. APPLICATIONS, storage capacity, wifi, Facetime, etc.

There was certainly no need to differentiate the products further. And to take features away but charge the same prices as the year-old nano is an insult. All so they could put a gimmicky touch screen on it (I mean seriously, I can only see three lines of text at a time on my music lists?).

A year from now Apple will be making an apology similar to the "oops" they issued this year for the shuffle and the silent return to the tall form-factor after the fat nano debacle. They'll return the screen size to what the old nano had to make the touch screen actually usable (still missing the scroll wheel). And the video camera and playback will return. In other words, they'll release the nano they should have released this year after they realized they've gone too far.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CurtisEMayle View Post

IOGear, $40, from Buy.com

I don't know if this still works or not, but on my old Video iPod, (5G?) if you had a composite cable that merged to a headphone jack (like that come with some camcorders) you could plug that in to the iPod but you had to ignore the colors on the tips of the RCA jacks as Apple merely switched them around.

I think that it was something like Red-Video, White-Right Audio and Yellow-Left Audio or something like that.

I have no idea if this will work on an iPhone, but thought that I would mention it!
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by euler View Post

I don't know if this still works or not, but on my old Video iPod, (5G?) if you had a composite cable that merged to a headphone jack (like that come with some camcorders) you could plug that in to the iPod but you had to ignore the colors on the tips of the RCA jacks as Apple merely switched them around.

I think that it was something like Red-Video, White-Right Audio and Yellow-Left Audio or something like that.

I have no idea if this will work on an iPhone, but thought that I would mention it!

All iPhones, iPod Touches, & iPads require the dock cable.