Teardown of Apple's 4th-gen iPod touch finds 256MB of RAM

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Boo on having only 256. Apple always has to cripple these things a little bit to differentiate the iPhone. Well no matter, I still love the update and can't wait till Amazon starts shipping these puppies.
  • Reply 22 of 29
    Do we know that ALL the new iPod touches have 256MB RAM or are people just assuming? Because so far iFixit only took the 8GB version apart. And the 8GB version was always "special" in some way.
  • Reply 23 of 29
    The 256MB RAM proves that the iPad is just a big iPod touch, despite what Apple claims And I was suckered into buying one 3 weeks ago. Ah well, it's not like it matters that much.
  • Reply 24 of 29
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Before SJ stepped up to the stage I would have bet against those who predicted the Touch will have retina display. I think that's one of the most surprise about the new Touch, the sub $300 device with retina display.

for RAM I was certain it would be 256 so no surprise here.
  • Reply 25 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bartfat View Post

The 256MB RAM proves that the iPad is just a big iPod touch, despite what Apple claims And I was suckered into buying one 3 weeks ago. Ah well, it's not like it matters that much.

Except, there still is no iMovie for iPad. Hopefully there will be a surprise announcement that it comes with iOS4.2.
  • Reply 26 of 29
    An iPod touch with retina display but just 256MB RAM is also bad for developers. Until now you knew that if you target the retina resolution that you had 512MB RAM available. E.g. the impressive Epic Citadel demo looks much better on the iPhone 4 than on the iPad because, apart from the higher ppi, it uses noticeably higher quality textures on the iPhone 4 because more RAM is available.
  • Reply 27 of 29
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mike11 View Post

An iPod touch with retina display but just 256MB RAM is also bad for developers. Until now you knew that if you target the retina resolution that you had 512MB RAM available. E.g. the impressive Epic Citadel demo looks much better on the iPhone 4 than on the iPad because, apart from the higher ppi, it uses noticeably higher quality textures on the iPhone 4 because more RAM is available.

How noticeably higher texture would you notice in a 3.5" screen? iPad, maybe. But iPod Touch?
  • Reply 28 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mike11 View Post

Do we know that ALL the new iPod touches have 256MB RAM or are people just assuming? Because so far iFixit only took the 8GB version apart. And the 8GB version was always "special" in some way.

I hope you're right. Good point.

To me, the big disappointments are the rear camera and this token bit of RAM. I can see it for the 8GB model, but not the 32 or 64 models.

I don't believe in the megapixel myth, and I doubt the crappy lens on a phone's camera would result in much of a difference between 3 and 5 megapixels. So we don't need a 5 mpx camera on the iPod. But 0.7 megapixels? C'mon. I wonder if cost or space was the driving force.

Go ahead, Apple, and remove things like the proximity sensor and GPS and LED flash and vibration motor if you want a thinner, cheaper device.

But don't sacrifice ram or the camera if you're trying to allow people to forego their phone plans, as stated in the keynote.
  • Reply 29 of 29
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bikertwin View Post

I hope you're right. Good point.

To me, the big disappointments are the rear camera and this token bit of RAM. I can see it for the 8GB model, but not the 32 or 64 models.

I don't believe in the megapixel myth, and I doubt the crappy lens on a phone's camera would result in much of a difference between 3 and 5 megapixels. So we don't need a 5 mpx camera on the iPod. But 0.7 megapixels? C'mon. I wonder if cost or space was the driving force.

Go ahead, Apple, and remove things like the proximity sensor and GPS and LED flash and vibration motor if you want a thinner, cheaper device.

But don't sacrifice ram or the camera if you're trying to allow people to forego their phone plans, as stated in the keynote.

Don't ignore the value of the subsidies. Given that it's maybe two or three hundred dollars cheaper than their phone model, all the sacrifices are pretty mild.

That said, the existence of subsidies seems to be behind opaque walls. Phone marketing in general does a good job of hiding the true price of the phones.