Apple rumored to be building FaceTime software for Mac, Windows

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Apple plans to extend FaceTime video chat beyond the latest iPhone and iPod touch, bringing compatibility with both Macs and PCs, according to a new rumor.

French Apple site Mac4Ever reported Friday (Google translation) that Apple is working on FaceTime clients for both Mac and PC. The site claimed that the Mac version of FaceTime will be built in to its existing iChat software.

In addition, the site reiterated its belief that a new version of iLife will debut soon without iDVD. The site reported in July that a 64-bit version of iLife '11 would include a new "mystery" application in the place of iDVD. It also claimed the iLife update would arrive in August, which was incorrect.

iLife is, however, due for an update. The last update, iLife '09, launched in January of 2009, with major upgrades to all of its applications, including the Faces and Places features in iPhoto, and the addition of the Precision Editor to iMovie.

FaceTime is an open standard for video chat introduced by Apple this summer. Its first compatible device was the iPhone 4, which has a forward facing video camera.

The new iPod touch unveiled last week also sports a camera for FaceTime, which allows for video calls over Wi-Fi.

Apple plans to open up FaceTime to third parties for development, allowing compatibility with non-Apple devices. This summer, Chief Executive Steve Jobs said that FaceTime will be on tens of millions of devices shipped in 2010.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 80
    Inevitable
  • Reply 2 of 80
    Skype is somehow deficient?
  • Reply 3 of 80
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Inevitable maybe, but great news.

Now we need the holy grail - full integration with the windows live servers so we can video chat to msn users on windows - without them needing to download more software.

The lack of video integration between windows live messenger/MSN for mac and windows is a major factor for a lot of younger people considering the switch. If msn integrates facetime, another obstacle is removed.

Would be very welcome news, however unlikely. I've completely given up on messenger for mac - it's a mess and it's years behind windows live messenger.
  • Reply 4 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xSamplex View Post

Nope, but what does that have to do with anything?

There are many options available, all of them locked down/proprietary - i'd like to see all of the existing providers incorporate the new facetime standard so that skype users can video chat to msn users and aol, yahoo chat etc. etc...
  • Reply 5 of 80
    Nothing new here folks.... move along....

Anyone could have started the "rumor" that FaceTime is coming to the computer end of it...
  • Reply 6 of 80
    Between skype, gmail, ustream, tinychat, AOL, iChat, how is this any different than any of the other video chat services already out there? I presume that it'll allow chats between someone at a computer and an iPhone/iPod, but otherwise, how is this needed?
  • Reply 7 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rdjlexky View Post

Between skype, gmail, ustream, tinychat, AOL, iChat, how is this any different than any of the other video chat services already out there? I presume that it'll allow chats between someone at a computer and an iPhone/iPod, but otherwise, how is this needed?

Because at the moment, all of those services used locked down servers and locked down transmission protocols, it's why the services are so disjointed, this has the potential to remove those barriers if adopted by the likes of skype, messenger etc.

Also allowing video chat between someone on a computer and someone on a cell phone is nothing to be sniffed at...
  • Reply 8 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KindredMac View Post

Nothing new here folks.... move along....

Anyone could have started the "rumor" that FaceTime is coming to the computer end of it...

But this is the first time we've heard it's going to be built into iChat, rather than a new piece of software, and also the first time we've heard it's imminent... I've heard a lot of people say this was going to be a new feature in 10.7- it seems not. So quite a lot new here...

At least it makes a difference to the constant babble about iOS and the app store.
  • Reply 9 of 80
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

Because at the moment, all of those services used locked down servers and locked down transmission protocols, it's why the services are so disjointed, this has the potential to remove those barriers if adopted by the likes of skype, messenger etc.

Also allowing video chat between someone on a computer and someone on a cell phone is nothing to be sniffed at...

For once we have an efficient system being offered up on a silver platter that will use well known protocols, use HTTP to easily traverse routers and firewalls, and be able to combine phones and PCs in a way that hasn’t before been possible, yet it’s being feared.

I honestly have no idea how people can look at an open and free option built on and open and free protocols, and not see how this isn’t a good thing for consumers. Especially after people make comments about the current fractured and closed systems that have plagued video chatting since its inception.
  • Reply 10 of 80
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:

how is facetime not locked down? Skype won't let it's calls go through facetime, but the other services probably will
  • Reply 11 of 80
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

how is facetime not locked down? Skype won't let it's calls go through facetime, but the other services probably will

Sype not using FaceTime because it will nagatviely affect its business model does not mean that FaceTime is locked down. If Skype, MS, Google, RiM, TiVo, any Android developer, etc. want to add FaceTime to their product they can. There is even word of Cisco adding it to future FlipHD phones with built-in WiFI.
  • Reply 12 of 80
    Quote:

The main difference between facetime and those other services you mentioned is that since it's being released as an open standard would could possibly see phone and handset manufacturers in the future integrating it onto their devices. Even some of the services you listed might integrate it into their product. It has alot of potential.
  • Reply 13 of 80
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:

I guess you could also argue "why is the iPod needed" when it was first introduced. After all, there other music players already in existence, so why should Apple bother.
  • Reply 14 of 80
    mariomario Posts: 348member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xSamplex View Post

Yes, it is. It does not support video chat on the iPhone/iPad even through WiFi.
  • Reply 15 of 80
    Quote:

Think about how many people will buy the iPhone 4 and iPod Touch, then think about the number of people they communicate with, and then think about how silly your post looks in light of those two numbers.
  • Reply 16 of 80
    I would hope so. It's pretty darn useless as it is right now.
  • Reply 17 of 80
    Quote:

The lack of video integration between windows live messenger/MSN for mac and windows is a major factor for a lot of younger people considering the switch.

What decade are you refering to? "Younger" people have long abandoned email and IM. They text, facebook, tweet and on rare occaisions skype. They wont be a big facetime market because most of them dont have smartphones, and they dont want to even talk to each other on a phone let alone video chat.
  • Reply 18 of 80
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    I look forward to Apple adding user friendly, built in options to look younger.
  • Reply 19 of 80
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AIaddict View Post

What decade are you refering to? "Younger" people have long abandoned email and IM. They text, facebook, tweet and on rare occaisions skype. They wont be a big facetime market because most of them dont have smartphones, and they dont want to even talk to each other on a phone let alone video chat.

not even kids, probably most people under 40

my wife and i are on a family plan with her parents. they use 80% or more of the voice minutes. my wife and I use modern technology

the only time i use skype is to video call family in another state so they can see our son. and my inlaws want skype to call overseas for free with others who have skype. my mom uses it for free international calling but phone cards are so cheap these days it's not worth the trouble a lot of times
  • Reply 20 of 80
    Even though the iPad does not have a video camera it does have a microphone, so it would be nice to have VOIP via FaceTime for the iPad. Something is better than nothing.