Apple rumored to be building FaceTime software for Mac, Windows

Comments

• Reply 21 of 80
    I have never been able to use the ichat because everyone I know has a hotmail including me, therefor I have never been able to use it. even if I am on a mac using ichat other person is using msn messenger and they dont support each other. FACETIME is great to be on every device. Waiting for it
  • Reply 22 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

But this is the first time we've heard it's going to be built into iChat, rather than a new piece of software, and also the first time we've heard it's imminent... I've heard a lot of people say this was going to be a new feature in 10.7- it seems not. So quite a lot new here...

At least it makes a difference to the constant babble about iOS and the app store.

first time... hardly... the day Facetime was announced, the first question was, when is this getting built into iChatAV.

Thinking about it... Facetime replacing iChat makes more marketing sense, as it links the brand cachet of the iOS versions to the Mac platform (sell more macs). My mother knows nothing of Skype or AIM, but she knows iPhones and iPods (and she has a Mac, albeit a G5, likely not to run iLife 11).

Hence, I do think that it will be a new app, primarily to link it to the ITMS, where Apple registers all those email addresses, and it will be only on Intel platforms.

iChat may still evolve to be facetimable... but if they do keep it, my guess it will evolve into iWork as a 'business grade conferencing tool' ala webex, allowing functions like sharing/displaying desktops, etc.

As for the 10's of millions of devices, every iPhone 4, and iPodTouch (at what 4 million a month?) run Facetime. They don't need the Mac Platform to hit the 10's of millions number.

Question is, will Facetime for Windows/MacOSX be monetizable through iAd?
  • Reply 23 of 80
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AIaddict View Post

What decade are you refering to? "Younger" people have long abandoned email and IM. They text, facebook, tweet and on rare occaisions skype. They wont be a big facetime market because most of them dont have smartphones, and they dont want to even talk to each other on a phone let alone video chat.

The generation 13 - 21 - they live on messenger and facebook - don't kid yourself. Every kid i know has an iPod touch, so they're gonna have facetime and they're gonna use it.
  • Reply 24 of 80
    Makes way too much sense for Apple to actually do so.
  • Reply 25 of 80
    in other news, the sky is blue and water is wet.
  • Reply 26 of 80
    Quote:

What decade are you refering to? "Younger" people have long abandoned email and IM. They text, facebook, tweet and on rare occaisions skype. They wont be a big facetime market because most of them dont have smartphones, and they dont want to even talk to each other on a phone let alone video chat.

While I agree that the assumptions of the person you were replying to are out of date, you are making a lot of sweeping assumptions yourself here.

IME, lots and lots of "kids" have smartphones, and many more use them than they use traditional desktop computers of any kind. I work at a major University, and this semester, if you don't have an iPhone your essentially nobody, but the penetration of the devices was huge even two years ago. Those that don't have an iPhone have a Blackberry (especially the young girls w/long nails), and most of the kids in both these categories use email, not IM or text.

I'm ancient by comparison but when I use Facebook on my iPhone on the bus, I can tell you I get more rolled eyes from the "kids" than I do smiles. I've also been told several times by these same kids that Facebook is already "over," unless you are a 30-40 something housewife or some kind of hipster techie still rocking a soul patch.
  • Reply 27 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

first time... hardly... the day Facetime was announced, the first question was, when is this getting built into iChatAV.

Thinking about it... Facetime replacing iChat makes more marketing sense, as it links the brand cachet of the iOS versions to the Mac platform (sell more macs). My mother knows nothing of Skype or AIM, but she knows iPhones and iPods (and she has a Mac, albeit a G5, likely not to run iLife 11).

Hence, I do think that it will be a new app, primarily to link it to the ITMS, where Apple registers all those email addresses, and it will be only on Intel platforms.

iChat may still evolve to be facetimable... but if they do keep it, my guess it will evolve into iWork as a 'business grade conferencing tool' ala webex, allowing functions like sharing/displaying desktops, etc.

As for the 10's of millions of devices, every iPhone 4, and iPodTouch (at what 4 million a month?) run Facetime. They don't need the Mac Platform to hit the 10's of millions number.

Question is, will Facetime for Windows/MacOSX be monetizable through iAd?

My questions are:

? Will it part of iChat or a new app?

? Will they jump on making a Windows versions out of the gate, which would help push adoption among users on two fronts? A Windows version makes a lot of sense if they want this to get adopted quickly, but Apple has a knack of starting small and building out steadily and slowly so anyone?s guess on that front.
  • Reply 28 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

While I agree that the assumptions of the person you were replying to are out of date, you are making a lot of sweeping assumptions yourself here.

IME, lots and lots of "kids" have smartphones, and many more use them than they use traditional desktop computers of any kind. I work at a major University, and this semester, if you don't have an iPhone your essentially nobody, but the penetration of the devices was huge even two years ago. Those that don't have an iPhone have a Blackberry (especially the young girls w/long nails), and most of the kids in both these categories use email, not IM or text.

I'm ancient by comparison but when I use Facebook on my iPhone on the bus, I can tell you I get more rolled eyes from the "kids" than I do smiles. I've also been told several times by these same kids that Facebook is already "over," unless you are a 30-40 something housewife or some kind of hipster techie still rocking a soul patch.

so what is the new thing that replaced facebook?

email is OK for kids but once they graduate facebook is easier to keep in touch with than using email
  • Reply 29 of 80
    I just hope I don't have to register yet another online identity (login and password).
  • Reply 30 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

But this is the first time we've heard it's going to be built into iChat, rather than a new piece of software, and also the first time we've heard it's imminent... I've heard a lot of people say this was going to be a new feature in 10.7- it seems not. So quite a lot new here...

At least it makes a difference to the constant babble about iOS and the app store.

Wasn't there a rumour about a new iLife piece? New chat tool that uses Facetime?

Although it doesn't seem worthy of an iLife suite now that I think of it.
  • Reply 31 of 80
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

so what is the new thing that replaced facebook?

email is OK for kids but once they graduate facebook is easier to keep in touch with than using email

I'd love to think that, but i still get these people how insist on emailing through facebook instead of just emailing me directly; and my friends and I are middle aged people (35-50); just plain annoying.

Facetime for Mac (hopefully) should be integrated (or replace) the current chat OSX already has. That would make things smoother. I still don't understand why the current chat program for OSX isn't part of the standard Apps for the iPhone/touch...would make a heck of a lot of sense to me.
  • Reply 32 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

My questions are:

? Will it part of iChat or a new app?

? Will they jump on making a Windows versions out of the gate, which would help push adoption among users on two fronts? A Windows version makes a lot of sense if they want this to get adopted quickly, but Apple has a knack of starting small and building out steadily and slowly so anyone?s guess on that front.

I would assume getting a Windows version out ASAP would be very beneficial. I know what you mean about Apple often starting small and building, but Facetime being an open standard will count for nothing if nobody else adopts it, and nobody else will adopt it unless it has the critical mass to make it worthwhile.....

It's a bit of a chicken and egg situation.
  • Reply 33 of 80
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I look forward to Apple adding user friendly, built in options to look younger.

You jest, but I think one of the big problems in current video communications apps is the fact that the cameras must be so wide angle, it distorts people's faces, spreading out their noses and mouths and making the outer areas smaller, which frequently results in making it look like one has less hair or a recessed chin. A company that solves that problem will really have something. No one wants to look bad on camera.

As for FaceTime, while I can see the advantages of using a standardized protocol and an advantage of being able to go computer to phone and vice-versa, for reasons I don't quite understand, it seems to me that people have pretty much abandoned IM, which also worked cross-platform and also supported live video (at least Apple's iChat version did). I probably haven't had five iChat video conversations in the last ten years. So what is there about FaceTime that would cause people to start using IM or its equivalent again? People, especially young people, seem to prefer to text rather than IM, not that there's all that much difference at a user level, especially from a phone.
  • Reply 34 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

I would hope so. It's pretty darn useless as it is right now.

Exactly. It's not Apple's fault it can't be used on 3G networks, but right now not that many people own iPhone4s anyway. What it really needs is the ability to hook up with the millions who already use iChat and iSight-enabled computers for video chatting.
  • Reply 35 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xSamplex View Post

Skype is somehow deficient?

Skype is proprietary and closed. If FaceTime is truely open, it will trump Skype in my books.
  • Reply 36 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rdjlexky View Post

I presume that it'll allow chats between someone at a computer and an iPhone/iPod, but otherwise, how is this needed?

I don't want an "otherwise". I'm on extended business travel, and can't install Skype on my locked-down, webcam-less work laptop. I have an iPhone 4, but my wife is still under contract on her 3G. If only there was sone way to do a video call between my phone and our MacBook so I could see her and our baby...

Unfortunately, I'll probably be done with the trip before sub things are released.
  • Reply 37 of 80
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rdjlexky View Post

I presume that it'll allow chats between someone at a computer and an iPhone/iPod, but otherwise, how is this needed?

Yes, but why downplay your own presumption? You don't think this is a big deal?

Since Facetime is going open, this will allow video chat between any computer and any device that decides to use Facetime. And since Android is open at its core, you can expect to see Facetime-enabled apps on Android phones shortly after the protocol is made available.

THompson
  • Reply 38 of 80
    Quote:

Uhm, where have you been? you don't need a smartphone to use facetime anymore. A good percentage of the "younger" people have or will now buy the iPod touch and then they can use facetime to their hearts content. Facetime is gonna blow up in the coming months....
  • Reply 39 of 80
    I still don't get why Apple didn't use iChat for all of this. Great name, and the video capability is already there. iChat for the iPhone would have been a great name and already recognized. FaceTime? not so much. "iChat me" vs "facetime me".
  • Reply 40 of 80
    Apple announced it will make FaceTime a free and open spec, but I have not seen them publish source code yet. At that time it will not be locked down.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

how is facetime not locked down? Skype won't let it's calls go through facetime, but the other services probably will