Apple projected to ship 130M iOS devices in 2014 as Android hits 259M

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple is projected to sell 130 million iOS-based mobile devices per year by 2014, but both Google Android and Nokia Symbian are expected to each double that amount, according to Gartner.

The research firm said on Friday it believes that both Symbian and Android will account for 59.8 percent of all mobile OS sales by the year 2014. It sees Apple's iOS, which powers the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch, coming in third place with a market share of 14.9 percent.

Even with annual sales half that of its competitors, Apple would still be selling 130 million units per year in Gartner's projections. To put that in perspective, Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs revealed last week that his company has sold 120 million iOS devices in total since the iPhone launched in 2007.

Gartner sees the market share of iOS growing in 2011 to 17.1 percent, up from an anticipated 15.4 percent in 2010. The firm expects Apple to sell a total of 70.7 million iOS devices next year.

Last month, Gartner claimed that shipments of smartphones running Android had passed the iPhone, thanks to its availability on numerous carriers and devices.

This year, Gartner has projected sales of 47.5 million Android devices, good for a 17.7 percent market share, slightly edging out Apple. By 2014, that number is seen rising to 259 million, or a 29.6 percent share -- within spitting distance of Nokia's anticipated 30.2 percent market share.

"The worldwide mobile OS market is dominated by four players: Symbian, Android, Research In Motion and iOS," said Roberta Cozza, principal research analyst at Gartner. "Launches of updated operating systems ? such as Apple iOS 4, BlackBerry OS 6, Symbian 3 and Symbian 4, and Windows Phone 7 ? will help maintain strong growth in smartphones in 2H10 and 2011 and spur innovation. However, we believe that market share in the OS space will consolidate around a few key OS providers that have the most support from CSPs and developers and strong brand awareness with consumer and enterprise customers."

The company said that budget devices based on Android from handset makers including Samsung, Sony Ericsson, LG and Motorola will launch in the second half of 2010 and help to drive growth even further.

The firm sees open source platforms dominating more than 60 percent of the smartphone market by 2014, while "single-source platforms" like iOS and Research in Motion's BlackBerry OS will increase in sales, but at a rate below the market average. Gartner also sees Microsoft's Windows Phone relegated to sixth place, behind the MeeGo platform created by Intel and Nokia.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 247
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Four years is an eternity in the tech industry. Four years ago the iPhone didn't even exist, that's what this projection is worth. And change is accelerating.
  • Reply 2 of 247
    I seriously doubt Nokia will pull one out the hat!

Symbian == Doomed ==Dead Horse

The quicker Nokia learn that the better.

Get some Unix in ya diet stupid.
  • Reply 3 of 247
    Maybe Apple should start releasing more than one iPhone model a year and go the Samsung route with Galaxy S. Different iPhone flavors. Doubt it'll happen but just a thought.
  • Reply 4 of 247
    [QUOTE=

The firm sees open source platforms dominating more than 60 percent of the smartphone market by 2014, while "single-source platforms" like iOS and Research in Motion's BlackBerry OS will increase in sales, but at a rate below the market average. Gartner also sees Microsoft's Windows Phone relegated to sixth place, behind the MeeGo platform created by Intel and Nokia.[/QUOTE]

I would be curious to see their predictions concerning open source computer platforms and how they predicted that open source OS would dominate computers by now. The same goes for the play4sure platform that Microsoft had, they said in 5 years the ipod would be left with 10 to 12 percent of the market because of their close platform. They are still at 70!!!
  • Reply 5 of 247
    Who are they kidding?

Nokia - poor online app store, music store

Android - Hotchpotch of versions, incompatibilities, apps and music

Android and Nokia are a poor copy of an original. They miss the point - apple presents to the consumer a unified product across hardware and software. Nokia and Android do not. For years we suffered with poor symbian software and android versions. Sorry - I'll take lack of flexibility for consistency any time - and that is the reason for apple's ongoing success.

Who cares about projections.

Android will be a collection of fragmented devices and versions. Nokia will still be trying to come to terms with a united online store and quality software - for all their marketing strategies.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple is projected to sell 130 million iOS-based mobile devices per year by 2014, but both Google Android and Nokia Symbian are expected to each double that amount, according to Gartner.

The research firm said on Friday it believes that both Symbian and Android will account for 59.8 percent of all mobile OS sales by the year 2014. It sees Apple's iOS, which powers the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch, coming in third place with a market share of 14.9 percent.

Even with annual sales half that of its competitors, Apple would still be selling 130 million units per year in Gartner's projections. To put that in perspective, Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs revealed last week that his company has sold 120 million iOS devices in total since the iPhone launched in 2007.

Gartner sees the market share of iOS growing in 2011 to 17.1 percent, up from an anticipated 15.4 percent in 2010. The firm expects Apple to sell a total of 70.7 million iOS devices next year.

Last month, Gartner claimed that shipments of smartphones running Android had passed the iPhone, thanks to its availability on numerous carriers and devices.

This year, Gartner has projected sales of 47.5 million Android devices, good for a 17.7 percent market share, slightly edging out Apple. By 2014, that number is seen rising to 259 million, or a 29.6 percent share -- within spitting distance of Nokia's anticipated 30.2 percent market share.

"The worldwide mobile OS market is dominated by four players: Symbian, Android, Research In Motion and iOS," said Roberta Cozza, principal research analyst at Gartner. "Launches of updated operating systems ? such as Apple iOS 4, BlackBerry OS 6, Symbian 3 and Symbian 4, and Windows Phone 7 ? will help maintain strong growth in smartphones in 2H10 and 2011 and spur innovation. However, we believe that market share in the OS space will consolidate around a few key OS providers that have the most support from CSPs and developers and strong brand awareness with consumer and enterprise customers."

The company said that budget devices based on Android from handset makers including Samsung, Sony Ericsson, LG and Motorola will launch in the second half of 2010 and help to drive growth even further.

The firm sees open source platforms dominating more than 60 percent of the smartphone market by 2014, while "single-source platforms" like iOS and Research in Motion's BlackBerry OS will increase in sales, but at a rate below the market average. Gartner also sees Microsoft's Windows Phone relegated to sixth place, behind the MeeGo platform created by Intel and Nokia.

• Reply 6 of 247
    Predicting these huge moves is a sloppy art, but these figures are certainly plausible. I think that as a percentage the Apple will be <slightly> in 2014, but still a smaller part compared to commodity (read low margin) smartphone makers. Interestingly, their graph shows Apples percentage of the market barely moving as the market balloons.

Apples goal in not to dominate, as it did freakishly with the iPod, but to maintain its premium position. But that said, the whole experience of the iPod boffo success has brought about new types of thinking at Apple and they may well figure out how to do a lower tier (but still high margin) smartphone device. If they can do that, their marketshare will be higher - perhaps close to 20%??
  • Reply 7 of 247
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    What is with the market share obsession? Apple don't care about market share, they care about brand awareness and profitability.

I find it incredible that a company which produce only one phone a year can have even this much market share - when you count the number of devices out there that run Android compared to the one device that is iPhone, then iOS shouldn't even register as a percentage.

I don't think Apple have too much worry about.
  • Reply 8 of 247
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

Maybe Apple should start releasing more than one iPhone model a year and go the Samsung route with Galaxy S. Different iPhone flavors. Doubt it'll happen but just a thought.

Why? Don't see why you think more than one new device a year is necessary - there are a couple of models of the one device, it's more than adequate.
  • Reply 9 of 247
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cggr View Post

Android will be a collection of fragmented devices and versions. Nokia will still be trying to come to terms...

Well, I for one care a bit more about Gartner's projections than your projections.

Got anything behind your analysis that beats the data Gartner relied upon?
  • Reply 10 of 247
    MeeGo? Seriously? Please tell me they aren't serious about having it gain any traction at all... Secondly, iOS has FLAT growth rate increases (meaning it doesn't accelerate like it has for the iPod)? Who is this report trying to convince, themselves?
  • Reply 11 of 247
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by battiato1981 View Post

Apples goal in not to dominate, as it did freakishly with the iPod, but to maintain its premium position

Apple's goal is to make as much profit as possible. Nothing else is a goal, but only a means to the goal of maximum profits.

Apple is not a foundation or a social club or a fraternal organization. They are a business.
  • Reply 12 of 247
    Android is to Windows, iOS is to Mac OSX.

Cheaper devices vs Premium devices

Quantity vs Quality

etc, etc.
  • Reply 13 of 247
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

Well, I for one care a bit more about Gartner's projections than your projections.

Got anything behind your analysis that beats the data Gartner relied upon?

The reason why this is suspect, is because too many things happen to ruin it. for example, in 2006 Gartner predicted that in 2010 Win Mobile would have a 32% marketshare in smartphones. they have less than 7%. They made other stunningly wrong predictions.

I would imagine that if they had predicted it the other way, you would be decrying it.
  • Reply 14 of 247
    I believe the numbers, every company who makes phones out there will ship phones that have andriod on them, and Nokia will continue to ship looks of phones into EMEA and India and that nothing to sneeze at.

However, who will make more money, apple or the rest of them, plus who will generate more revenue for the companies who support those plate forms, most likely apple.

All these companies who are putting Android on their hardware is hoping that Google pulls a rabbit out of the hat and world abandons apple solution and migrates.

I will give you one simple example, i have android phone, I upgrade the OS from 1.5 to 2.1 which erase everything on the phone all the apps i down loaded, no way to back it up to my computer and it took me weeks to remember all the apps i had and go out and locate them again and re-install them. Every time we updates the wife's iphone it was 30 minute deal and the phone was right back to where it was before the upgrade.

These are the things people do not realize when they say one is better than another.
  • Reply 15 of 247
    One of the major beats they're missing is that a huge draw (especially in terms of profits) is apps. Some people will see 259 million Androids versus 130 million iPhones and say "Hey, devs will stop developing for iPhone and go to Android, that's where the money is!" but fail to notice that iPhone owners tend to spend WAY more on apps. Not to mention that the vast majority of apps will work on most of that 130 million devices, only the original iPhone and iPod touch are unable to have the latest software. Compared with Android, where only the latest hardware will have the latest software, makes the compatible market for most apps vastly smaller.
  • Reply 16 of 247
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cggr View Post

Investors and app developers come to mind...
  • Reply 17 of 247
    Gartner is way off on this one.

First off, I'm still a little skeptical Android has sold so many phones this year. I just don't see the phones. Everyone in my work, church, neighborhood, everywhere I go, people are using iPhones. I hardly ever see someone using an Android phone. It seems very strange to me. Where are all these supposed Android phones in the wild?

And then there are all the surveys of smartphone owners. Every survey ever conducted shows iPhone owners are much happier with their devices, by a HUGE margin. The surveys also show a good chunk of Android owners would like to get an iPhone as their next smartphone.

That tells me Android devices are turning into a "gateway drug" for iOS devices. People get sold on a Android phone for some reason, and over time they realize it just doesn't hold up to iOS and the whole ecosystem around it.

Anyway, if Apple can sell 130 million iOS devices a year, that's awesome. I'm just skeptical any other platform will outsell them. I mean, the iPod touch still doesn't have a single competitor!
  • Reply 18 of 247
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Four years is an eternity in the tech industry. Four years ago the iPhone didn't even exist, that's what this projection is worth. And change is accelerating.

Yeah, these projections are worth the paper they are written on (and note, they were not written on paper! ).
  • Reply 19 of 247
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I would imagine that if they had predicted it the other way, you (Newtron) would be decrying it.

In fact, I predict it!
  • Reply 20 of 247
    The 259M figure needs to sub-divided into the multitude of Android versions. A developer writing an Android app won't be able to launch his app to 259M devices, whereas an App Store developer gets 130M recipients right off the bat.