Apple rumored to be building FaceTime software for Mac, Windows

Comments

• Reply 41 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

Apple announced it will make FaceTime a free and open spec, but I have not seen them publish source code yet. At that time it will not be locked down.

Open spec doesn't mean you have to release your source code, just that you make the specification available to everyone so people can make interlinking products.
  • Reply 42 of 80
    Setup an external boot drive for your work laptop, then you can install what you want! Get a USB webcam and you will be set.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbmcavoy View Post

I don't want an "otherwise". I'm on extended business travel, and can't install Skype on my locked-down, webcam-less work laptop. I have an iPhone 4, but my wife is still under contract on her 3G. If only there was sone way to do a video call between my phone and our MacBook so I could see her and our baby...

Unfortunately, I'll probably be done with the trip before sub things are released.

• Reply 43 of 80
    Recently at a coffee shop a young lady sitting next to me pulled out a laptop. Then she pulled out a dress that she just bought and showed it off to her friends in Europe! It looked like a ready made FaceTime Commercial! She was using Skype! I spoke to her briefly, and she said that she uses Skype video often!

Imagine if FaceTime was widely available? All lady shoppers, or any shoppers could use it for a "2nd opinion" from those, anywhere!, who couldn't join them shopping!?

FaceTime is on iPads, and over 4G, in addition to WiFi will take that to another level. Then on to TV's...

Q: How will FaceTime make Apple $$ if it's Free, Open Format?

My guess is that, since Apple makes it, they have the advanced knowledge of the future features that they'll be introducing to FaceTime, and thus will be able to build them into their product, which would help them to maintain the lead.

Maybe I just need to understand better the difference between Open Format, and Open Source!?

Then, if there is Interoperability, Compatibility, between FaceTime and Skype, then Skype would go away? But then it could get into something similar to Apple vs. Adobe, where Google would brag about supporting Flash, making that into marketing advantage, while HTML 5 is coming! Kind of like, enemy of my enemy is my friend!? The general public won't understand all those nuances, and they'll buy the hype...

Security, Privacy - Video Hijack Pro? Will Facetime be safe against unauthorized video recording on other end?

Either way, The Future is very promising, and fun! Go Apple, AAPL, Tech, Progress!
  • Reply 44 of 80
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In addition, the site reiterated its belief that a new version of iLife will debut soon without iDVD. The site reported in July that a 64-bit version of iLife '11 would include a new "mystery" application in the place of iDVD.

I get a little annoyed when Apple takes things away. Like when iMovie replaced iMovieHD it was so stripped down, they were compelled to make the original available again after all the complaints. QuickTime, no Pro version available. All stripped down. Field Test first gone now stripped down. Next thing you know they'll take away DVD Studio from the Pro Suite. I'm getting to the point where I don't want to upgrade anything for concern that I'll discover something else I needed was removed.
  • Reply 45 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xSamplex View Post

Skype is somehow deficient?

No, but pretty soon it will be unnecessary.
  • Reply 46 of 80
    Quote:

I'm so sick of the Skype comparisons. FaceTime would be a protocol, one that could be used without need for a specific service but could communicate directly between any service provider and even between devices without need for an external server at all. Can your Skype do that?

Skype is not a protocol, it's a service, it is proprietary and you must use their servers for it to work (which it's blocked at many business locations). Skype will never succeed as a video chat standard because of this, that's not even their primary business model.
  • Reply 47 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

While I agree that the assumptions of the person you were replying to are out of date, you are making a lot of sweeping assumptions yourself here.

IME, lots and lots of "kids" have smartphones, and many more use them than they use traditional desktop computers of any kind. I work at a major University, and this semester, if you don't have an iPhone your essentially nobody, but the penetration of the devices was huge even two years ago. Those that don't have an iPhone have a Blackberry (especially the young girls w/long nails), and most of the kids in both these categories use email, not IM or text.

I'm ancient by comparison but when I use Facebook on my iPhone on the bus, I can tell you I get more rolled eyes from the "kids" than I do smiles. I've also been told several times by these same kids that Facebook is already "over," unless you are a 30-40 something housewife or some kind of hipster techie still rocking a soul patch.

Facebook is still big in the 20 something crowd, maybe the 22+ post college group now. I wish it was passe with all age groups, but not yet. The HS and middle school (and now younger) kids are heavy texters, most I see have a "phone" that is at most semi-smart (what I consider a BB). The only voice minutes used are when parents call, and they usually just reply with grunts. I could see the older kids moving to iPhones switching to email if they dont have a text plan, but I have not personally observed that. It would only work if your social circle were all carrying an email device.
  • Reply 48 of 80
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by robogobo View Post

I still don't get why Apple didn't use iChat for all of this. Great name, and the video capability is already there. iChat for the iPhone would have been a great name and already recognized. FaceTime? not so much. "iChat me" vs "facetime me".

True, but as many besides me must have realized, 'FaceTime' is probably meant to evoke that other video/audio standard, QuickTime. Not to mention riding on the narcissism wave that Facebook set in motion, or captured the energy of, or however it came to be.

Hoping this rumour is for real. FaceTime is widely suspected to be a reinvention of telephony, and the back-facing scene-grabbing camera, plus the portability and ubiquity of the platform, are key elements -- in case anyone is still wondering why it took Apple to do it again, as opposed to all the worthy predecessors like Skype that have paved the way. The ability to capture scenes gets us beyond the ugly-mugshot syndrome that plagues and slows video chat. As suggested above, apps to filter faces in real time might help. Or set up a cracked mirror and light for effect. The telephone call becomes an art form . . .
  • Reply 49 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Sype not using FaceTime because it will nagatviely affect its business model does not mean that FaceTime is locked down. If Skype, MS, Google, RiM, TiVo, any Android developer, etc. want to add FaceTime to their product they can. There is even word of Cisco adding it to future FlipHD phones with built-in WiFI.

Interesting. Where did you see the info about the FlipHD? That would be neat.
  • Reply 50 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

I'd love to think that, but i still get these people how insist on emailing through facebook instead of just emailing me directly; and my friends and I are middle aged people (35-50); just plain annoying.

Facetime for Mac (hopefully) should be integrated (or replace) the current chat OSX already has. That would make things smoother. I still don't understand why the current chat program for OSX isn't part of the standard Apps for the iPhone/touch...would make a heck of a lot of sense to me.

One should be able to activate FaceTime using nearly any app on the Mac (it should be as easy as hitting Command-P to print), for instant face to face conversations.
  • Reply 51 of 80
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Interesting. Where did you see the info about the FlipHD? That would be neat.

http://www.electronista.com/articles...sh.workaround/
  • Reply 52 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coolcat View Post

Uhm, where have you been? you don't need a smartphone to use facetime anymore. A good percentage of the "younger" people have or will now buy the iPod touch and then they can use facetime to their hearts content. Facetime is gonna blow up in the coming months....

OK smartass, the handful of people who got a touch in the last couple of days can use Facetime when they are within WiFi coverage. I feel the revolution! Yes the touch will probably sell very well in the coming months, but I highly doubt Facetime is going to blow up because of it. People are using less and less voice minutes and now you think they are suddenly going to drop text for a voice and video solution?

For Facetime to "blow up" it will have to cause a seismic shift in the trend of communication behavior. Video conferencing is loud and public and I just don't see teens having any desire to use it except for the occaisional "Sextiming" and other novelty uses. Those with parents or teachers, or even other friends around will still be typing with their thumbs under the table. Heck I don't know a single iPhone 4 owner of any age who is a regular Facetime user yet, not even the older gab on the phone women.

It has a shot (long shot?) to displace Skype for the video calls to family and close friends who are far away niche, but I just don't see it becoming a primary communication tool for any demographic in the "coming months." It is just not that much better than all the other video technologies that have not caught on over the last 2 decades. Easier call setup is nice, but not change the world overnight nice.
  • Reply 53 of 80
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:

There is still a long way to go here in integration and usability. So yeah Skype has issues. Apple has a very good chance to set the standard here.
  • Reply 54 of 80
    Quote:

I still don't get why Apple didn't use iChat for all of this. Great name, and the video capability is already there. iChat for the iPhone would have been a great name and already recognized. FaceTime? not so much. "iChat me" vs "facetime me".

Because Apple wants it to be "open" and implimented by other companies on devices they don't control. The "iExperience" is part of the Apple brand, and I imagine they dont want that to get out of their control. FaceTime does not evoke Apple the way iChat does.
  • Reply 55 of 80
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AIaddict View Post

Because Apple wants it to be "open" and implimented by other companies on devices they don't control. The "iExperience" is part of the Apple brand, and I imagine they dont want that to get out of their control. FaceTime does not evoke Apple the way iChat does.

That?s the why I see it, too. FaceTime is a suite of open protocols for anyone to use, not an app in and of itself.
  • Reply 56 of 80
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

how is facetime not locked down? Skype won't let it's calls go through facetime, but the other services probably will

Because it's a published open standard there for the taking.
  • Reply 57 of 80
    Quote:

I still don't get why Apple didn't use iChat for all of this.

Too Apple centric... If this open standard is to be adopted by all, then are they need to have an generic name, hence facetime.
  • Reply 58 of 80
    FACETIME IS NOT AN OPEN STANDARD, for the time being.

If you want to prove me wrong, show me where I can find the specifications.

Sure, Apple said they plan to release it as an open standard, but that was 3 months ago. In the meantime, they haven't said anything about WHEN that would be, so I'm certainly not going to hold my breath.

As soon as FaceTime is open, it won't be a big issue anymore if iChat supports it or not, because there would be many alternative chat applications supporting it.

Best regards,

Joerg
  • Reply 59 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AIaddict View Post

For Facetime to "blow up" it will have to cause a seismic shift in the trend of communication behavior.

Don't understand why you say that. Sometimes FaceTime will be the appropriate tool for the job, other times not. But because not everyone uses it all the time for everything doesn't invalidate it.

I think you've got "Highlander" disease.
  • Reply 60 of 80
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbmcavoy View Post

I don't want an "otherwise". I'm on extended business travel, and can't install Skype on my locked-down, webcam-less work laptop. I have an iPhone 4, but my wife is still under contract on her 3G. If only there was sone way to do a video call between my phone and our MacBook so I could see her and our baby...

Unfortunately, I'll probably be done with the trip before sub things are released.

For this usage you should consider a new iPod Touch. Yeah I know it is an additional expense but it would lead to a better experience for everybody. Why? Well pretty simple you can take the camera anywhere in the house. So if the baby is a sleep, or playing in the back yard you can still get a view. It might be slightly less convienent with the baby in the lap. Also good is that baby playing with a Touch is less likely to cause a problem then baby playing with a Mac Book.

Possible side effect is that baby gets upset that mommy put daddy in the little box. I often wonder at what age babies grasp the concept of a phone call.

In anyevent it is pretty obvious here that a lot of people under estimate FaceTime. If this gets rolled out properly it has the potential to be huge. For one the ease of use is pretty darn good. Plus the tech is built upon open standards.

As a side note many have described FaceTime as serverless. This really isn't true at all. A server is still needed to track where a specific device is on the network. The communications might be point to point but you still have to have a way to figure out where a mobile device is.