Cinema Display Apple Store entry updated to new 27-inch models

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
The online Apple Store now displays details of the new 27-inch Cinema Display on its Configure your Mac page, a sign that the display may be close to shipping.

The configuration pages for the Mac Pro, Macbook Pro, Macbook and Macbook Air have been updated with information about the upcoming 27-inch Cinema Display but currently only allow purchase of the older 24-inch and 30-inch models.

Apple's 27-inch LED Cinema Display sports a 2560 x 1440 resolution with an ambient light sensor and the same in-plane switching technology that the iMac, iPhone 4 and iPad use. Despite being announced in July alongside the new 12-core Mac Pro and updated iMac line, the display wasn't scheduled to ship until sometime in September.

Sources told AppleInsider in March that the then unannounced display had been "lingering in Apple's labs for quite some time" while the Mac maker waited for LCD panel prices to drop.

The company's main product page for the $999 27-inch LED Cinema Display currently displays a "Coming September" notice. Clicking the "Buy Now" button redirects shoppers to the 24-inch Cinema Display purchase page.

The 24-inch and 30-inch Cinema Display models will be available only as supplies last, making the 27-inch model the only current-generation display offered by Apple.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    I would rather have the older one. The glare from that glossy monitor is horrible. I honestly don't know what Apple was thinking here.
  • Reply 2 of 41
    Relatively speaking, US 999 is not that bad, especially if it looks as stunning as the display on my iMac 27.
  • Reply 3 of 41
    I wish Apple would give matte options for ALL their displays. Even iOS devices. I'd pay extra
  • Reply 4 of 41
    Okay, so this is smaller and has lower resolution than the model it replaced. What's the upside again?
  • Reply 5 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

I would rather have the older one. The glare from that glossy monitor is horrible. I honestly don't know what Apple was thinking here.

Yeah, I'm waiting for the discounts on the 30
  • Reply 6 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Okay, so this is smaller and has lower resolution than the model it replaced. What's the upside again?

The new 27-inch has in-plane switching, speakers, and ambient light sensor.

30 inch is $1,799 for 2560 x 1600, compared to $999 for 2560 x 1440 27-inch, so 27-inch has a better pixel density (109ppi compared to 101ppi).

30 inch is from the old "HD" line, is matte. 27-inch is from the new "LED" line, glossy with LED backlighting.

I'd imagine Apple did their research too and thought that a 30-inch IPS would either be too expensive or too niche to be profitable.
  • Reply 7 of 41
    Quote:

I have a 27" iMac and the glossy doesn't even bother me at all... have you actually used one to see if you even might like it?

It annoys me how there are so many complaining about the glossy when its not even that bad....
  • Reply 8 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokrad View Post

I have a 27" iMac and the glossy doesn't even bother me at all... have you actually used one to see if you even might like it?

It annoys me how there are so many complaining about the glossy when its not even that bad....

It annoys me that there are so many saying that it doesn't bother them at all. No, I have not used one, except in the store. When my iMac dies, I will get a Mac with a glossy monitor. I will have no choice if I get another iMac and I don't have the funds or the need for a Mac Pro.

I notice you used the words "not even that bad." I don't see you saying "it's really nice."
  • Reply 9 of 41
    mr. kmr. k Posts: 115member
    Quote:

It annoys me that there are so many saying that it doesn't bother them at all. No, I have not used one, except in the store. When my iMac dies, I will get a Mac with a glossy monitor. I will have no choice if I get another iMac and I don't have the funds or the need for a Mac Pro.

I notice you used the words "not even that bad." I don't see you saying "it's really nice."

Using my 27" iMac as a reference:

The panel itself is gorgeous. It's really nice. The reflective shine of the glass over it is all-but-unnoticeable with thoughtful placement; unless there's a particularly bright light source facing the glass the display is more than bright enough to overpower most reflections.
  • Reply 10 of 41
    I also prefer the glossy ones. Never had an issue with reflections (never sat with the sun shining tbrough a window behind me).

The matte ones, on the other hand, show some irregular 'graininess' when you look close, it is a bit disturbing (akin to the grease on a touch device). Just my impression...
  • Reply 11 of 41
    Quote:

You may be even more annoyed when I tell you, that I have both a 24" matte and a 24" glossy monitor, and can tell you that since contrast and color saturation is considerably better on the glossy monitor, I actually prefer to work on the glossy monitor. Indeed I am thinking of replacing my matte 24" with the glossy 27" once it's available.
  • Reply 12 of 41
    Everyone needs to understand that Apple no longer makes professional displays. If you want a matte display to do professional work, you'll need to shop elsewhere. I've given up. NEC makes some nice professional displays, that are 16x10, and matte.
  • Reply 13 of 41
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I have a 21.5 glossy iMac and the reflection is only noticeable once in a while. The 27" is worse from what I've seen, but possibly no more than proportionally worse.
  • Reply 14 of 41
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mike Fix View Post

Everyone needs to understand that Apple no longer makes professional displays. If you want a matte display to do professional work, you'll need to shop elsewhere. I've given up. NEC makes some nice professional displays, that are 16x10, and matte.

That is clear. Their pro desktop does not have a built-in monitor, and the monitor they do sell primarily has laptop connectors, so that is like an admission that they expect pro desktop users to look elsewhere for a screen.
  • Reply 15 of 41
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    I wonder when Apple is going to bother releasing the international pricing... I know we will pay way more than our American brethren because Apple likes to seriously Butt F*ck anyone outside of the US, but I still want one.

Shame that they decided to remove the 24" model without replacing it, a 21.5" model would have been nice for those who still want a fantastic display without mortgaging their house.
  • Reply 16 of 41
    There are 1,100+ petitions at this site below where Apple fans are complaining about glossy screens (only the 15" and 17" have matte option - all other Macs are glossy-only)

http://macmatte.wordpress.com/comment-page-1/#comments

Apple needs to realise that many people buy Apple IN SPITE of the glossy screen, because of the other plus factors, such as OSX, iOS etc - and NOT BECAUSE of the glossy screen.

Sure, some people love glossy - which is great - but other loathe the glossy screen. We're not arguing for Apple to remove glossy screens. We just want the choice of matte or anti-reflective. I said this specifically to avoid glossy-lovers replying by saying why they love glossy. There's no need to say that. I accept and agree with your right to like glossy screens. Just do the same and respect our right to be able to buy a matte, non-reflective screen if we want to.
  • Reply 17 of 41
    Quote:

You mean in a store that has a ceiling covered with florescent lights? In that case, glossy is going to be bad. In any kind of home lighting, the glossy isn't noticeable at all. The screen is, in fact, quite nice, and definitely the best display I've ever seen on a computer.
  • Reply 18 of 41
    mariomario Posts: 348member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

That is clear. Their pro desktop does not have a built-in monitor, and the monitor they do sell primarily has laptop connectors, so that is like an admission that they expect pro desktop users to look elsewhere for a screen.

Exactly. People keep forgetting that these glossy mirror screens have connector cables so short that they only can be hooked to a Macbook sitting on the table to the side of the screen just like in the pictures.

Everyone who bought one for use with their Mac Pro has had to buy an extension cable.

In fact, same goes for apple wired keyboards. To use it with Mac Pro you MUST buy an USB extension cable, they were designed to be used with iMacs sitting on the same table as the keyboard.

So much for usability and just works out of the box. First thing I had to do when I unpacked my Mac Pro was run to the store to buy extension cable so I can hook up the damn thing.
  • Reply 19 of 41
    mariomario Posts: 348member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 4miler View Post

There are 1,100+ petitions at this site below where Apple fans are complaining about glossy screens (only the 15" and 17" have matte option - all other Macs are glossy-only)

http://macmatte.wordpress.com/comment-page-1/#comments

Apple needs to realise that many people buy Apple IN SPITE of the glossy screen, because of the other plus factors, such as OSX, iOS etc - and NOT BECAUSE of the glossy screen.

Sure, some people love glossy - which is great - but other loathe the glossy screen. We're not arguing for Apple to remove glossy screens. We just want the choice of matte or anti-reflective. I said this specifically to avoid glossy-lovers replying by saying why they love glossy. There's no need to say that. I accept and agree with your right to like glossy screens. Just do the same and respect our right to be able to buy a matte, non-reflective screen if we want to.

I don't know why is it that people have a hard time with choice. How does it affect anyone personally that other people have a choice to buy a screen that they like better? Yet people argue in these forums fervently against others having this choice.

The argument has never been to take away the glossy screen but to add matte as an option as well. I just don't get some people.
  • Reply 20 of 41
    all the more expensive since my 37" IPS (LG 16/9 IPS panel) LED Philips 1080p HDTV w/ light sensor, ambilight, built-in multimedia player, HDMI 1.4 is only <650 EUR worth. And Philips is not particularly well known for making cheap TVs. Probably making a 2560x1440 display comes at a price but, still, that's a pretty pricey consumer product (glossy, short cables...) if just for watching downloaded 720p iTunes movies !