Amazon mocks iPad's glossy screen in new Kindle ad

Comments

• Reply 21 of 127
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Satorical View Post

eInk is just a totally different technology than LCD. It's been in development a long time, and it works well with b/w. The development path for good color is still a couple of years away, and it will never be good for full-motion video, but it does what it does well. Check it out in person, get your hands on an eInk-based reader, and you'll see the difference.

I have seen them before. I did notice the slow refresh but didn't know it was fundamentally different technology, just though it might be low-cost.

And as for that sunglasses remark, was that added in the editing room or what, because her mouth is hardly moving. Seems like in the original she just says "It's a Kindle," and smiles knowingly.
  • Reply 22 of 127
    why reading at all? buy an ipod shuffle and enjoy the sun listening to a book! that's way cooler!

btw: also very cool: apple keynote in 180 seconds reduced to the jokes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-24euRgImPg&hd=1

ps: please spread the link if you like the video! ;-)
  • Reply 23 of 127
    How true, Amazon. I was trying to use my iPad to play a game outside in the shade yesterday but due to the location I was in had to give it up. Ironically, my 17" MacBook Pro has the $50 optional non-glare screen and works fine there. I hear Apple finally offers it on the 15" again, but not on the 13s. Makes no sense. Amazon hit a home run with this commercial!
  • Reply 24 of 127
    Yes, but what about when you're lying in bed at night, which is where I personally do most of my reading (outside of the subway, that is)?

I'm not normally the defensive Apple fanboy, but I had a Kindle. The refresh rate and relatively limited amount of text displayed, combined with a display that could have easily had a backlight yet didn't, made for an almost unbearable reading experience.

I'm much more satisfied with my iPad and the Kindle app. Instantaneous page turns, and reading where I'll actually be more likely to read. (Forgive me, but outside of vacation time, who has time to sit outside and read, anyway?)
  • Reply 25 of 127
    There are 1,100+ petitions of Apple users who are asking Apple to bring back matte screens

http://macmatte.wordpress.com/comment-page-1/#comments

In the above comments, many of them indicate people buy iPads IN SPITE of the glossy screen, not BECAUSE of the glossy screen. That's a big difference.
  • Reply 26 of 127
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    This ad makes sense. I own both the Kindle 3 and the iPad.
  • Reply 27 of 127
    Glossy screens are pathetic, a plague on us.

I'll be one of the "in spite" of the screen buyers and straight away seek a matte coating.

Amazon is just fine mocking the mirror that is gloss screens.
  • Reply 28 of 127
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

I think it's an effective ad. Simple and effective.

I know you read DF.
  • Reply 29 of 127
    Wake me up when they actually use an iPad to compete against, in their ad.
  • Reply 30 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 4miler View Post

There are 1,100+ petitions of Apple users who are asking Apple to bring back matte screens

In the above comments, many of them indicate people buy iPads IN SPITE of the glossy screen, not BECAUSE of the glossy screen. That's a big difference.

Matte touch screens for gaming and touch controls are far less forgiving to pressure. To have a matte finish would be brain dead.
  • Reply 31 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPlaid View Post

How true, Amazon. I was trying to use my iPad to play a game outside in the shade yesterday but due to the location I was in had to give it up. Ironically, my 17" MacBook Pro has the $50 optional non-glare screen and works fine there. I hear Apple finally offers it on the 15" again, but not on the 13s. Makes no sense. Amazon hit a home run with this commercial!

You're having problems with a backlit LED display for the iPad because of the gloss? Perhaps you should stop angling it up towards the shade.
  • Reply 32 of 127
    This ad is absolutely great, equal in quality to the mac/PC campaign!
  • Reply 33 of 127
    Amazon: "Forget the Mercedes. This is the greatest bicycle ever!"
  • Reply 34 of 127
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    and if he was wearing DARK shades, it might work fine too! Hell his squinting just being in the sun.
  • Reply 35 of 127
    This would awesome on those two occasions in the year, lasting about an hour each, where I'll be reading in direct sunlight. I can't wait!!
  • Reply 36 of 127
    Yup, if you want to read outside, the Kindle is the way to go. If you want to:

1. listen to music

2. play games

3. watch video

4. read anywhere other than outside

5. or use any one of thousands of apps...

then the iPad is the way to go.

Life is full of tradeoffs.
  • Reply 37 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Amazon: "Forget the Mercedes. This is the greatest bicycle ever!"

I bet there's a shit load more bicycles sold this year than Mercedes!

You make a good point though. These are two completely different things, making the ad slightly less relevant than Mac vs. PC.

I quite like it though.
  • Reply 38 of 127
    Quote:

But they are still buying iPads, so it must not be a deal-breaker. If people demand matte screens AND stop buying iPads, Apple will start to listen. Your wallet is ALWAYS your loudest voice when dealing with corporations like these.
  • Reply 39 of 127
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I hated reading in sunlight before the Kindle and I still hate it so this doesn’t affect my reading habits, but that is a damn good commercial.
  • Reply 40 of 127
    Quote:

Money talks, and iPad sales are just fine. Where's the uproar? There isn't any.