Apple offers personalized support with Express Lane website

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple has added a new feature to the support section of its website dubbed "Express Lane," making it easy for customers to select a product, detail any issue they may have, and get in contact with an Apple representative.

"Need more help?" the new addition to Apple's website reads. "Use Express Lane to connect with an expert at Apple for personalized and convenient support."

Express Lane narrows down an issue by having users select the product they need help with. Serial numbers for specific hardware devices are required in the "Product Selection" step.

Once a product has been selected, users can detail their problem in the "Issue Description" step. Here, users are also provided with recommended articles available on the support site that may resolve a customer's problems.

If the available documentation does not fix the problem, visitors can then move on to the final "Contact Options" stage, which makes customer support options available based on the nature of the problem.

For example, with a problem related to downloading content with the iTunes Player, without the user providing their Apple ID, only e-mail support is available. The page states that the average response time from an Apple official is 48 hours or less.

Express Lane the second new feature Apple has added to its website in less than a month. The company also recently added a feature called Compare Macs, which allows customers to review the hardware specifications and prices of multiple machines at once.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    That's a nice idea. I know there are loads of good technical articles on the Apple website, but I have to admit I've got a terrible record for tracking them down. Anything that makes navigating them easier is good for me!
  • Reply 2 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

If the available documentation does not fix the problem, visitors can then move on to the final "Contact Options" stage, which makes customer support options available based on the nature of the problem.

I really hate it when companies put hurdles between you and tech support. Phone jail is bad enough. But having to jump through hoops just to get some online chat support? That sucks big time.
  • Reply 3 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

That's a nice idea. I know there are loads of good technical articles on the Apple website, but I have to admit I've got a terrible record for tracking them down. !

Don't blame yourself. Apple has lousy search capabilities.
  • Reply 4 of 33
    Just scheduled a call for Thursday to talk about an iPhone-related problem. Nice, simple interface, and appears very convenient. (Although, the three recommended pages from Support Forums/Discussions were useless).

Let's see how the follow-up works.
  • Reply 5 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

I really hate it when companies put hurdles between you and tech support. Phone jail is bad enough. But having to jump through hoops just to get some online chat support? That sucks big time.

Don't use it then. Better yet, stop whining and switch.
  • Reply 6 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Better yet, stop whining and switch.

Best yet: Stop whining about my opinions and switch.
  • Reply 7 of 33
    Your relentlessly and stridently negative world sounds like a pretty sad place to be at.

Each to his own, I guess. I feel for those around you.
  • Reply 8 of 33
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Don't blame yourself. Apple has lousy search capabilities.

Apple has excellent search capabilities. It's your problem if you don't have the ability or intelligence to use them effectively.
  • Reply 9 of 33
    Neither the article nor the Apple Site explain how much this service costs. It's hard to make a judgment on the goodness of this idea when you don't know the price.
  • Reply 10 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Your relentlessly and stridently negative world sounds like a pretty sad place to be at.

Each to his own, I guess. I feel for those around you.

Whose world? Who are you talking to?
  • Reply 11 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lochias View Post

Whose do you think?
  • Reply 12 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lochias View Post

I'm pretty sure he's talking to Newtron
  • Reply 13 of 33
    Agreed. Why write an article that describes a new product or service without also mentioning how much it costs, or whether it's free?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Will Fastie View Post

Neither the article nor the Apple Site explain how much this service costs. It's hard to make a judgment on the goodness of this idea when you don't know the price.

• Reply 14 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Will Fastie View Post

Free.
  • Reply 15 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Apple has excellent search capabilities. It's your problem if you don't have the ability or intelligence to use them effectively.

Please don't attack. PaulMJohnson is the guy you are insulting, not me.
  • Reply 16 of 33
    This isn't new. They just changed the name from Apple Expert to Express Lane. Maybe the look is a little different, but substantially the same.
  • Reply 17 of 33
    Let me start off by saying I'm not an APPLE fanboy. However Its nice to see Steve Jobs going back to the Old world customer Service which existed back in the 60's 70's & 80's.

Apple has gone the extra mile and ensured that not only will they stand behind their products but they will do so with Quality, Integrity, and speed. And they have also created new jobs in America with their Genius Bar rather than send the jobs overseas where the Amereicans can't even understand what they are saying.

Hopefully but doubtfully more companies will adopt this standard. At this point in time APPLE has the best Customer Service of any company in the WORLD regardless of category or product!!!!

Congratulations to Steve Jobs & Company
  • Reply 18 of 33
    Quote:

This is crazy talk. While I agree in principle, there are already huge hurdles and blocks between the user and technical support with Apple. This is clearly an attempt to mitigate that and should be applauded.

The way I read this is that people who have a long history of buying stuff from Apple can see all their gear in one place and thus get quicker service than some joe or jane anybody shouting down the phone at Apple.

Being as I am someone who refuses to go the "squeaky wheel route" to get service from a company (yes I'm older and remember the days when service was just a given), this is good news for me. It means I might get someone to listen to my complaints when i have them, instead of trying to find my way through the nightmare of links and silly questions and roadblocks they currently have in place on their website.
  • Reply 19 of 33
    Freakin' awesome!!!

Apple's lead in consumer satisfaction surveys is only going to widen.
  • Reply 20 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

This is crazy talk. While I agree in principle, there are already huge hurdles and blocks between the user and technical support with Apple. This is clearly an attempt to mitigate that and should be applauded.

This is what I would applaud:

Call tech support and have a competent person answer the phone.

I hate all the rigamarole.