Parallels Desktop 6 for Mac launches with 80 new features

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
The new Parallels Desktop 6 for Mac is now available, offering Windows virtualization that boots 41 percent faster and offers 3D graphics that run 30 percent faster than before.

Parallels Desktop 6 is available now with a standard retail price of $79.99. The student edition costs $39.99, while Parallels Desktop 6 Switch to Mac edition will retail for $99.99.

In addition, direct downloads of the $49.99 Parallels Desktop 6 Upgrade are also available for customers who already own 5.0. In addition, anyone who recently purchased Parallels Desktop 5.0 is eligible for a free 6.0 upgrade.

Parallels is also offering a free 14 day trial of the software, giving users the ability to test Parallels Desktop 6 before they buy.

The new Parallels Desktop 6 boosts speeds when working with files on USB drives, networks and in shared folders. The update packs more than 80 new and enhanced features, and the company has declared it the "best Windows on Mac experience yet.

Included are the list of highlighted features new and improved in Parallels Desktop 6:

Faster & More Powerful

Launch Time: Run Windows applications 41 percent faster than Parallels Desktop 5

Full 64-bit Engine: Take advantage of all of the capabilities of your 64-bit Mac and enjoy the fastest virtual machine performance yet

Immersive Graphics & Audio Experience

5.1 Surround Sound: Savor rich, immersive audio experiences for games, music and videos

Enhanced 3D Graphics: Enjoy more life-like visual action and play a wider range of modern games with 40 percent improvement over Parallels Desktop 5

More Manageable

Parental Control: Have peace of mind when children are online by applying the same parental controls you set for your Mac to your Windows applications

VM Encryption: Protect data from being stolen by using built in virtual machine encryption

Simpler & Smarter

Mac Shortcuts: Use Mac OS X keyboard shortcuts to make Windows applications work the way you do

Personal Data Migration: Simplifies moving to Mac by automatically moving programs, data and media (i.e. My Documents, My Pictures, My Videos and My Downloads) to the appropriate folders on your Mac

Web Browser Favorites: Parallels automatically moves your Internet Explorer, Firefox or Chrome settings and bookmarks from your PC to the default browser on your Mac

Anti-virus Protection: Data protection with Parallels SmartGuard & SafeMode plus leading anti-virus protection for both Mac OS X and Windows with complimentary Kaspersky Internet Security 2011, Kaspersky Anti-Virus for Mac, Acronis True Image Home 2010 and Acronis Disk Director 2011 Home

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    After looking at the full feature list on the website, it seems we have very different opinions of the meaning of the word "feature".
  • Reply 2 of 41
    FOURTH MAJOR story about this "app" in less than a week. AppleInsider is covering this story like they're in Parallels' pocket.
  • Reply 3 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

FOURTH MAJOR story about this "app" in less than a week. AppleInsider is covering this story like they're in Parallels' pocket.

Some of us actually use this and find it very helpful, not to mention it is software FOR Macs ... so what's the problem?
  • Reply 4 of 41
    I have contemplated getting Parallels for some time now as I use virtual machines on a regular basis on my mac, but I have always just gone with VirtualBox for the price point Does anyone have real experience with performance between the two? I would consider buying it if it really outdid VirtualBox.

Thanks...
  • Reply 5 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by exodar View Post

I have contemplated getting Parallels for some time now as I use virtual machines on a regular basis on my mac, but I have always just gone with VirtualBox for the price point Does anyone have real experience with performance between the two? I would consider buying it if it really outdid VirtualBox.

Thanks...

VirtualBox is very good, actually I think it's eats less RAM in so many things, and it's free, Parallels is as fast, the best integration, it has drag and drop between guest OS and native one, it support more evolved 3D, and probably is the best choice, VMWare Fusion is not bad but I do think parallels wins in every way, now depends of what you want to do, you can try VirtualBox as it's free, if you going to choose a comercial option, Parallels is the best!
  • Reply 6 of 41
    Any idea who qualifies as a student for the student pricing? College, K-12, etc?
  • Reply 7 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by exodar View Post

Thanks...

I tried VirtualBox and found it slow. The mouse movement was not smooth as well. I use Parallels (still use version 4) and it is much more responsive and smoother. You can try Parallels by downloading the free trial.
  • Reply 8 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msuberly View Post

Any idea who qualifies as a student for the student pricing? College, K-12, etc?

I could find information about that discount on their website as well. Would be nice if AI could include the direct link when they mention the prices.

Edit: Found it here.
  • Reply 9 of 41
    Parallels is definitely pulling away from the competition.
  • Reply 10 of 41
    I've been thinking about buying this too... but I don't have my Windows discs for my old laptop. Does anybody know if you can use Parallels without having the Windows discs?
  • Reply 11 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

So put up your own web site and cover what you want to cover. Otherwise, stop your bitching.
  • Reply 12 of 41
    Just quick question: can it mount USB drives/Bootable CDs with Mac OS X non-suported partitions like Ext2/3/4?

I would love to have generic VM that actually provides only CPU and RAM and it can boot from USB drive for temporary use.

Maybe I missed version 5, but version 4 could not do this.
  • Reply 13 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NewMacMan View Post

I've been thinking about buying this too... but I don't have my Windows discs for my old laptop. Does anybody know if you can use Parallels without having the Windows discs?

Yes, both Parallels and VMware Fusion allows you to clone your whole PC (every bit, byte and block) into an exact clone inside a VM. You just need to be in the same network (the faster the better) and soon you will have your PC running as a VM on your Mac. Programs, data, all of it. No discs or anything needed.
  • Reply 14 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msuberly View Post

Get V5 here -> Amazon - Parallels Desktop 5.0 for Mac for $49 with $20 rebate then get the -> V6 upgrade free.
  • Reply 15 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cubert View Post

Parallels is definitely pulling away from the competition.

They certainly have the flashy feature list in their pocket but i've had too many issues with Parallels stability that I'll just stick with VMWare Fusion. Though, I don't think I've fired Fusion up in over a year now so I guess it's a moot point as me as a user.
  • Reply 16 of 41
    Is it any good? This article could have been written by the Parallels PR department.

Don't forget that on top of that price you also need to buy a licence for Windows 7. Does it work with all versions of Windows 7 or have you got to buy the most expensive version?

I hope its easier to use than their website - confusing as hell and keeps falling over today.
  • Reply 17 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

So put up your own web site and cover what you want to cover. Otherwise, stop your bitching.

http://tinyurl.com/2bxgaep
  • Reply 18 of 41
    Quote:

In addition, direct downloads of the $49.99 Parallels Desktop 6 Upgrade are also available for customers who already own 5.0

Am I the only one who thinks they are pricing this very unfairl? Higher than even the student edition for an update in less than year? What do these guys think? That we 'll be paying them $50 yearly as if they were a subscription service? No wonder they help you run ms programs with that kind of ms style pricing.
  • Reply 19 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

Is it any good? This article could have been written by the Parallels PR department.

Don't forget that on top of that price you also need to buy a licence for Windows 7. Does it work with all versions of Windows 7 or have you got to buy the most expensive version?

I hope its easier to use than their website - confusing as hell and keeps falling over today.

Check out VMWARe Fusion's response:

http://blogs.vmware.com/teamfusion/2...Team+Fusion%29

Take advantage of any trials that each offer and figure out which one works for your needs. Both this article and the VMWARE response definitely look like they were written by their respective PR departments.

I have used Fusion and Parallels 5 and prefer Fusion and personally do not find a reason to move away from one to the other at this time. YMMV
  • Reply 20 of 41
    There is the old saying "Don't knock it until you try it."

I upgraded last week from Version 5, which for me was barely usable on my early 2009 iMac C2D 2.66 GHz. The upgrade to Version 6 made it like I was using a real PC to run it. I may have been like a P4, but before it was like a PII running XP. So despite the belief that this is all hype you should really give it a try if you need this functionality.